Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2003 Explorer Power window Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Explorer Power window Electrical Problems

I have a question for you guys in this forum! I am usually on FTE in the Excursion forums.

I have a friend who has a 2003 Explorer and all his windows stopped working. I tried helping him out by trying to locate the electrical problem, but was unable to get them going for him.

I checked all the fuses under dash and hood and found that none of them were shorted, even swapped my window circuit breaker off of my Ex and still could not get them to work. I took a test light to all the power wires in the door and noticed that he wasn't getting positive power and that he had negative to the switches. I ran a jumper wire from the battery and could get the windows to work. I removed the door panel and traced the wire all the way through the rubber boot at the door jam but could not get any juice. The circuit relay has power to it but don't know where else to look!

What else should I look for? Is there another place that he might've lost contact or another fuse/switch somewhere that I didn't see. Anyone here have a wire diagram for the power windows that would also kinda help trace things, but if anyone could explain more, that would be really appreciated!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the 2003 factory service manual and can send you the wiring diagram(s) if you send me a private message with the request AND an e-mail address for you.

Are you saying that you've positively determined the lack of power to the switch is NOT due to a broken wire between the cabin and the door? You don't have power to the feed wire even where it exits the cabin headed for the door? Did you check for power with the key on at the circuit breaker?

-Rod

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
Originally Posted by shorod
I have the 2003 factory service manual and can send you the wiring diagram(s) if you send me a private message with the request AND an e-mail address for you.

Are you saying that you've positively determined the lack of power to the switch is NOT due to a broken wire between the cabin and the door? You don't have power to the feed wire even where it exits the cabin headed for the door? Did you check for power with the key on at the circuit breaker?

-Rod
Yes I tested with the key in the on position and had power to the circuit under the hood but could not find any power from the window switch to the boot at the front of the door. I am not sure where the wire goes from the door into the cab. The wire I had found (no positive) is Red and Blue/green stripe. I remember that it was in the bottom corner if you were looking at the wires going into the plug. I took the test light and traced down the wire to where it goes into the cab and could not get a signal. Thanks, I will send you a message!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
The files should be in your inbox. From your description above, it sounds like you were probably checking the Red/Light Blue wire which is the wire that provides power to the other door switches when the window lock button is closed ("unlocked") - See diagram 100-2. If the window lock button was open, you would not have power on this wire.

Did you check for power to the Light Blue/Black wire? That's the main feed wire from the Accessory Delay relay and provides power to the master window switch, as well as the window lock switch. Since the LED switch backlighting is powered from the Light blue/Black wire, the quick test for good power and ground to the master switch without removing the switch assembly would be to turn the parking lights on and check for switch illumination.

-Rod

Old 04-01-2024, 10:49 AM
BlakeC1919
1st Gear
Rod can you please send it to me as well

Originally Posted by shorod

-Rod
blakecooksr928@icloud.com

Old 04-01-2024, 12:57 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
The files should be on the way to your inbox. You may want to edit the above post to remove or obfuscate your e-mail address.

-Rod