1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

97 expedition power windows/lock not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:13 PM
SlabPloX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 expedition power windows/lock not working.

*EDIT*

i will just rewrite the whole tread cause it isn't really clear right now, and update.

97 Expedition XLT: power windows and power locks not working, power mirrors/radio/interior light/wipper working normaly.

here what i have done as now:

from what i have found so far reading on the internet the light blue/black wire supply power to the driver side power windows switch (master switch), which power all other windows.

appear to not have 12v power at the light blue/black wire when i checked with a test light. Checked 30A fuse in distribution box under hood, fuse i good. Put a new 30A fuse just to be sure: still no power to the wire light blue/black wire.

no relay for the power windows according to owner manual.

found 3 broken wires at the door hinge, one black/light blue stripe, one pink/white stripe and one green, repaired all wires: still nothing.

read somewhere that the ground for the door harness is inside the vehicle near your left foot under the kick panel. found 2 ground there and cleaned/checked them. still nothing.

jumped a 12v wire from the battery positive terminal to where the light blue/black wire connect in the driver door master switch: front passenger side window and back driver side window roll down and up, front driver side and back passenger side doesn't work.

driver side motor do work considering when i first acquired vehicle i jumped power and ground from the battery directly to the window motor to roll it up, since it wasn't working.

here my question:

what would cause 2 window to not work while 2 other work? bad master switch? or is the two other windows feed my another 12v wire?

from where do the light blue/black wire goes? the distribution box under hood? doesn't appear to be cracked in door hinge area, maybe further in the vehicle if possible?

also, considering the fact i might not find the issue and that this isn't a show truck and i only want to make it function to the best of what i can do: can i find a good alternative and safe switched 12v for powering my master window switch? and if yes where? i already messed with installing head unit in the past so first thing that come to my mind is the head unit switched 12v wire, would it work? considering i don't want to mess with always blowing radio fuse...

any other info on this issue might help me too.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:09 PM
1972ford
New User
If your motors work when you apply power directly to them, and you have power going to the switches, you can have bad switches. For the back RHS window, try swapping the switch itself from one of the other windows and see if that works. The driver side switches are one assembly, so unless you have a known good spare lying around check the wiring for continuity to eliminate other possibilities (power coming to the switch, good continuity between the switch and motor). If those check out you may need a new switch. I wound up putting new switches in my Navigator for $40 or so.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
SlabPloX
New User
update: i have messed a little more with this:

looked at the fuse #22 and #25 in the battery distribution bounder hood). both where good and see power to both fuse end with a test light.

looked at fuse #14 under dash, fuse was missing so i put a new 15a fuse and see power to both fuse end.

after that i could see power on the light blue/black wire, couldnt move any window except driver side wich went down 2 inch and everything stopped working.

i then went to work with the truck, the driver side window went down by his own and i hear a tic/clicking noise under dash/instrument cluster - sound like a relay trying to come on.

nothing work as of windows.

what i fear right now is a bad GEM unit. wich i dont want to replace since these goes for 150-200$ around here and i paid this truck 500$...

so any way to bybass the GEM unit to make window work?
by applying direct 12v power to the light blue/black wire i made 2 out of 4 window work. my guess/hope is a jammed regulator/bad motor for the rear window not working and the relay/whatever for the auto window messing with me on the driver side window.
any way to bypass the auto window option/relay?

i finish working in about 2 hours then will park the Expe in garage and proceed to mess with this. any input would be nice and i will be further updating this tread.

EDIT: also looking for a good 12v switched power i can use to power my windows switch.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM
SlabPloX
New User
UPDATE:

YES! my power windows work! at least 3 of them.

so i messed with wiring, found me a nice 12v switched power by using this: https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/BK_7822226/ on the interior fuse panel. then proceed to get a 12v switched wire thru the door boot and following door harness and finally i have cut the light blue/black wire and soldered new 12v wire to the light blue/black wire.

then i found wich wire activate wich door window motor, and i just soldered the rear driver side window switch wire to the front driver side window motor wire.

all passenger side windows work normally while only the front driver side work while activating it with the rear driver side switch on the master switch, good enough for me!

Old 02-24-2022, 01:11 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SlabPloX
update: i have messed a little more with this:

looked at the fuse #22 and #25 in the battery distribution bounder hood). both where good and see power to both fuse end with a test light.

looked at fuse #14 under dash, fuse was missing so i put a new 15a fuse and see power to both fuse end.

after that i could see power on the light blue/black wire, couldnt move any window except driver side wich went down 2 inch and everything stopped working.

i then went to work with the truck, the driver side window went down by his own and i hear a tic/clicking noise under dash/instrument cluster - sound like a relay trying to come on.

nothing work as of windows.

what i fear right now is a bad GEM unit. wich i dont want to replace since these goes for 150-200$ around here and i paid this truck 500$...

so any way to bybass the GEM unit to make window work?
by applying direct 12v power to the light blue/black wire i made 2 out of 4 window work. my guess/hope is a jammed regulator/bad motor for the rear window not working and the relay/whatever for the auto window messing with me on the driver side window.
any way to bypass the auto window option/relay?

i finish working in about 2 hours then will park the Expe in garage and proceed to mess with this. any input would be nice and i will be further updating this tread.

EDIT: also looking for a good 12v switched power i can use to power my windows switch.

Fuse 14 was it for me.