Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Nevada April BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Good Wednesday Morning FTE , hava good day....

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Good morning Nevada, Happy Hump Day!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good morning Nevadanese and all our esteemed visitors [who often get up earlier than we do.}

Wednesday??? Isn't that synonymous with HUMP day? Lets get to humping!!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
R1_Demon
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarod17

Mat, I need to save up for a new camera. The one I have is an HP Photosmart M547. It's a nice camera but it is slow taking photos. About 2-5 seconds to take a photo. I don't need a fancy, super high quality, pro camera. But I want something that takes fast, good quality photos. Any suggestions?
That's the only issue about point & shoot (P&S) cameras. The shutter lag is usually pretty bad. What are you trying to shoot that is taking so long? Or are you commenting that it is taking so long with every picture? Because most P&S cameras are really hard to capture "action" (such as sports, moving objects, etc...) shots with due to the high shutter lag.

There are a couple things I can suggest. If you are trying to shoot a moving action shot, you will need to pan with your current camera (or with most P&S cameras). You have to follow the action with the camera as you are pressing the shutter button and keep following it all the way through the shutter actuation and even AFTER the shutter goes off. If you stop before hand, usually you will cut off part of your subject.

I purchased my wife a P&S camera just for days she doesn't feel like taking her DSLR out and it is a Sony DSC-H20. I really like this camera and have used it myself a few times. I would have to say that the shutter lag is lower than most other P&S cameras. I never timed it, but I have shot some still and even some action shots with it and they have come out nice with this camera. So, that might be one suggestion. It wasn't that much and I bought it about a year, maybe year and a half ago now. So, there maybe a newer model out now, but usually it should say so on Sony's site.

However, if you really want to minimize shutter speed, a DSLR (Digital SLR) camera is the way to go. A Canon Rebel is a nice choice. I know a few people that have them and are very happy with them. Heck, I even know a few pro shooters that used them at events with high level pro glass (lenses) and have turned out some gorgeous shots. They have dropped in price lately and you can probably even pick up a setup cheap on CraigsList or even eBay, but just be very careful and I would make sure that it works first (that's why I would suggest CraigsList, so you could meet with the person and verify it works properly). Usually you can get one with a "kit" lens fairly cheap that should work for you. Plus, then at a later date, you can always "add on" if you wanted to. You don't have to go nuts and get expensive lenses or a ton of them, but it is nice to be able to vary your kit. Plus, low level DLSR's have a built in flash and are just as easy to operate as your P&S camera. Plus, you don't even need to get the latest Rebel (I forgot which model number it is now), so that would lower your price even further and the older Rebels will still work with all of the EF line of lenses from yesterday and today, so you won't have to worry about compatibility issues.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little bit.

BTW, thanks for the comments on the vid from both you and William. I didn't make it, but it was kinda fun being in it. LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdox
Hey Donna, is there a central location of the event? What do you know about the hours?

I was wrong on the date...sorry! I thought it started this Thursday. It starts on the last Thursday of May.
For more information & weekly locations, call or pick up a brochure at the Carson City Visitors Center.

The first Cruise Night will be at the Carson Mall (across from DMV on Stewert St.) from 6 - 8 pm on May 31st
*Get there early for good parking*

Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
67 Olfthfl
Nevada Chapter LDR

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey there everyone,

Happy Hump Day! I hope you mid week day goes well & your striving toward the upcoming weekend.

Today is a pretty mellow day to where I can stay home & get some stuff done here, instead of having to run around taking care of things all day. LOL!
It'll give me a chance to get some weed burning done in the back yard & go through more boxes. This weekend were having some friends come over w/ their tractor & helping us get Monty's (horse) area ready for him, so we can finally bring him here. It'll be fun, plus were doing a BBQ too!

Enjoy your day!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Happy hump day Nevada FTE. Don't know about your side of the mountains but on this side, it is supposed to rain. Try and stay dry if it makes over to your side.

Jim

Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Yes, we have gotten a little rain on and off. Warm enough for comfort though.

Hey Donna, I'm sure it will be fun to have Monty at your new place! Do you have a weather shelter for him?

I'm off to the post office, TTYL

Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
R1_Demon
Elder User
Wow, you guys got rain already? I figured we would get it before you guys did. We're not supposed to get our rain down here until around 1 am tonight. It's just been overcast all day is all.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM
oldmongo
Elder User
Unhappy No rain yet here either !!!

You are tellin me I've been walkin around in these hip waders all day for nothin !!! Hope everybody had a great day !!! Dave

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
jarod17
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R1_Demon
That's the only issue about point & shoot (P&S) cameras. The shutter lag is usually pretty bad. What are you trying to shoot that is taking so long? Or are you commenting that it is taking so long with every picture? Because most P&S cameras are really hard to capture "action" (such as sports, moving objects, etc...) shots with due to the high shutter lag.
Thanks for the info. It doesn't matter if I am trying to take a still of action shot, the lag is too much for me. I want to get one mainly for reference photos for 3D work. With the canon rebel, can it take pics as fast as you push the button (so to speak?) Not a big deal, but would be an added bonus

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the top half of the air box from a '92-'96 EFI 460 truck with Cal. emissions. I did find a couple on car-part.com but IMO $100 is a bit steep. I'm striking out on eBay also. If anyone runs across one of the relatively cheap, could you let me know?

Got to go for now. Lots more downloading to do.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

The sky looked really menacing here. But so fare we have only had occasional light showers.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 AM
67gt351
Post Fiend

Good evening Nevada !

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Good Thursday Morning FTE NV, have a great day everyone.....

Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
oldmongo
Elder User
T storms near

Well, looking out towards Death Valley the clouds would make you think the end is near..... thunder... lightning... oooow it's frighting !!! So we MIGHT get a tiny bit around noon ... .01" ... there goes that wash job !!!

Well anyhow, I would like to wish all the FTE folk from North to South, East to West a GREAT safe and productive day... remember it's Friday eve, next stop... WEEKEND !!! Dave

Quick Reply: Nevada April BS Thread