6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Where oh Where does my Coolant go

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Dlinzy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where oh Where does my Coolant go

With the levels set a the new full, about 3/4" from the bottom front of the degas tank when i'm at normal operating temps 188 - 193 my coolant will be completely gone from the tank.

Open the cap and it rises back to the correct fill point.

I have the new ELC, new thermo, new degas cap, egr delete, sinister coolant filter 10 deg. deltas and am now concerned something may have plugged and the coolant isn't flowing back to the degas tank correctly.

I do get a little flow from the return line from the cooler, but not enough to see running into the tank with it properly connected.

Thoughts from the experts?

D n Dallas

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How recently (miles/months) have you installed the ELC and thermostat? I'm thinking you've got an air pocket somewhere in the block/cooling system. Does it re-fill the bottle after you shut the truck down without opening the degas bottle and releiving coolant pressure?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Dlinzy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by zhilton
How recently (miles/months) have you installed the ELC and thermostat? I'm thinking you've got an air pocket somewhere in the block/cooling system. Does it re-fill the bottle after you shut the truck down without opening the degas bottle and releiving coolant pressure?
500 miles tops since ELC change.

Sounds like an air pocket to me too, or a big ole plug of sandy slimy nasty gold crap.

Once gone it stays gone until i open the cap. pressure is there after 2-3 days of not driving it.

Thanks,

Denny

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
(Sorry about the delay, got caught up in a nasty "honey-do" yesterday)
Just to confirm/rule out the gold coolant issues that some have had in the past...would you describe the method you used to switch from Gold to the ELC? Did you use some kind of chemical flush (Restore or VC-9)? Any water only flushes after?

Have you worked the truck hard enough to really work the coolant system since you swapped? Long trip (50 miles or more) or pulled a trailer so that the cooling system is getting a work out and not just warmed up? One other thought....defroster on high. Have you tried that to make sure the possible air pocket isn't in your heater core?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Iv seen my coolant do the same thing especialy during the summer when Hot

All I can figure is when hot the hoses expand and then the flow of the coolant must push coolant into voids or whatever

I really have no Idea where all that coolant goes its Odd for shure Iv also talked with a Few other folks that have experianced the same thing so I dont really think its anything to be alarmed about

Some of you guys might be surprised when you get home from a drive Before you shut the truck off pop the old hood and check it out it might be lower than you think then shut the truck off and watch it fill back up

I think this is why my coolant bottle cracked on the seam FWIW

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Some of you guys might be surprised when you get home from a drive Before you shut the truck off pop the old hood and check it out it might be lower than you think then shut the truck off and watch it fill back up
We're talking about the 6.0L...it might be better off to not look a gifted horse in the mouth.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Dlinzy
Mountain Pass
VC-9 flush, Restore & Restore+ then 40 gal of Dist. and now ELC Red.

Truck died on the way to work, restarted blew intercooler hose at next hill, drove into work.

Restarted installed new clamp and would not start, wait 6 hours, cooled down truck started and ran with a miss, turn it off call Tow truck, mech. will look at it on Monday. Possible STC or HPOP, lil oil coming off the back driver's corner of the block.

Good Grief what a day.

D

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dlinzy
Restarted installed new clamp and would not start, wait 6 hours, cooled down truck started and ran with a miss, turn it off call Tow truck, mech. will look at it on Monday. Possible STC or HPOP, lil oil coming off the back driver's corner of the block.
Sounds like (without see codes, ICP) you might have blown the STC and it has created a leak at the rear of the engine block. The STC has been an issue with most of the '05 trucks.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My coolant does this too. It actually got a ton worse when I put on the leveling kit. It actully looks close to over full when you pop the cap. Another thing I noticed is once you pop the cap. It goes up then settles down to the right level after 1min or so. I'm pretty sure this is compression caused by pressure building in a hot water situation. And then a vacuum when you pop the cap that almost causes a siphon effect. Either way if your coolants at the right level checked on a very level surface your just fine. If anything it shows your cooling system has no leaks.