1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD to ZF5 - In Process

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, its hilarious! When it does it people give me the best looks haha. they think its going to explode! Ill search and see if i can find the video for ya!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Krisx125
Dude, its hilarious! When it does it people give me the best looks haha. they think its going to explode! Ill search and see if i can find the video for ya!
Yup. My buddies give me a concerned look as I try to look cool and blow it off.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Ahh here we are. Watch your volume on your computer. Its kinda loud! This was before it started with the key, so I had to jump the starter relay.
Kris and his loping 7.3 - YouTube

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Ahh here we are. Watch your volume on your computer. Its kinda loud! This was before it started with the key, so I had to jump the starter relay.
Kris and his loping 7.3 - YouTube
Yup. That's what mine is doing. Probably 50% of starts or so. Thank you for posting the video. So manual transmission programming will eliminate this issue?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
Are use the PCM out of the donor
No, I plan on keeping my PCM from everything I've read.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
Be careful testing out your cruise control once you get the truck together. It will work, and if your PCM still is programmed for the automatic transmission, your truck will not even realize that the clutch is there. In other words, hitting the clutch will make your engine redline if you are using cruise. Please don't ask me how I know, LOL.
This may be a stupid question, but I assume the brake will still turn the Cruise off?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Krisx125,

I 2nd BuckHammer's question - Will manual programming of the PCM eliminate this problem?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
yes, well they say it does. Im just going to order a Dp tuner and have them burn it for a manual truck. Which will override my pcm. But you lose cruise control i guess. And yes right now your brake wil kick off cruise. everything works as it should. It will just lope every now and again. Except mine does it 99% of the starts lol

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TyBragg
This may be a stupid question, but I assume the brake will still turn the Cruise off?
Yes it will. That should never change. Like Joseph said though, don't mash on the clutch though and expect it to cancel the cruise unless you'd like to see an ultimate red line. I'm not sure after a reburn and PCM wiring changes if the clutch will then cancel it or not. I don't have the clutch starter switch wired on so mine wouldn't anyway. You can bet your butt though that if I'm grabbing the clutch that fast then the brakes are getting the same treatment!
Im just going to order a Dp tuner and have them burn it for a manual truck. Which will override my pcm. But you lose cruise control i guess. And yes right now your brake wil kick off cruise. everything works as it should.
You can pretty easily get your cruise back after manual programming. I'm starting a thread with everything I know on the subject since several people will probably need it sooner or later.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
So I was thinking about this cruise control, PCM, wiring situation on my way home from work, and I had an epiphany that I want to share and see what you guys think. Here it is:

Most of you who have done this swap seem to either 1) have a donor truck that is not EXACTLY like your good truck, or 2) scavange the parts needed from various places. My situation is that I have a truck with a PSD that is a zf5 as a donor....so....I'm thinking.....I can just swap out the trans wiring harness, swap the PCM, and swap out the pedal assembly (which includes the clutch switch). Then, I would think the PCM would recognize the clutch switch (and the brake?) to turn off the cruise control, and I shouldn't have to worry about the loping/romping startup that was posted earlier in this thread.

Any thoughts about this? I was originally not planning to use the PCM from my donor because we initally were under the impression that it was an IDI, but since it is a PSD, then everything should be interchangeable, right? I am also thinking that I should not have to make any wiring modifications, since we will be using the wiring harness from the zf5.

A few extra thoughts though...

1) My donor does not have cruise control. So does that mean that if I use the PCM, my good truck will have no cruise control?
2) My donor is a Model A215 PSD, and my good truck is a Model A225 PSD. Will there be a difference (will the PCM work)?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
If your donor doesnt have cruise, I dont believe youd have it after the swap.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...but since it is a PSD, then everything should be interchangeable, right? I am also thinking that I should not have to make any wiring modifications, since we will be using the wiring harness from the zf5.
Interchangeable as in it all bolts right up and plugs right in - Yes. With the exception of possibly the front of rear driveshaft if you use the BW 4407 t casewith the older ZF.
Intrerchangeable as in it all bolts right up, plugs right in, and works like it was meant to be there - Nah, man. I really doubt it sorry to say. But then again everything so far has really gone your way with the donor so I suppose it's possible. I will almost bet my paycheck that there is no way you will be able to start it with the key until you move some wires within the harness. But it's REALLY easy.
1) My donor does not have cruise control. So does that mean that if I use the PCM, my good truck will have no cruise control?
I asked pretty much all of these same questions at one point as I had an exact donor match for my truck only it was a 95 XL with no cruise or tilt. I was told that all PCMs have cruise built in and that it depends on having the module in the truck for it to work. I was told that all PCMs have cruise built in but not all of them have it actively engaged but a dealer can turn it on for you most likely for a nominal fee. And finally I was told that some PCMs have cruise built in and some don't and the truck it came from has no bearing. They all seem like good answers except......they're all stinking different.
Before I addressed the wiring issue to start the truck I tried both PCMs. Neither time would the truck start from the cab. Once running it ran fine. No loping with the auto either. The cruise worked with my original auto PCM and did not work with the manual PCM. I did not, however, use the manual PCM and try cruise control after splicing the PCM pins. And I've no idea what would have happened. But in that case I'd have still ended up with wiring to do in the harness for both trans and PCM. I also did not go to the dealer and ask anything concerning "turning on the cruise" in the manual PCM because my local one is completely incompetent.
2) My donor is a Model A215 PSD, and my good truck is a Model A225 PSD. Will there be a difference (will the PCM work)?
Either, as long as from an OBS PSD will allow the truck to run.

I know this is a lot of info that really doesn't say yes or no. Sorry for not having the most solid answers. It sounds like you are wanting the same things I did when doing this swap so I'm offering up all I have. Unfortunately it is founded on only my personal results and a collection of info from seemingly good sources(MANY FTE members). I'm not aware of many, if any others, addressing ALL issues when doing the swap. If they did, they were either 1)MIA when several have raised these questions previously. Or 2)Stayed silent to let us "learn".

Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Thanks for the detailed info. It seems like there is no way of telling when doing this. I've heard so many different success stories of people doing different things - i guess it really depends on what you have. We'll just have to see when we get it all put back together.

Really, I'm just so dang excited to get this trans swapped that i can't stop thinking about it, so every spare second I have I think of different questions.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm thinking our work on my "good" truck will commence on about the 6th - the wife is going out of town for a week with the kids, so I'll have my window to get most of the work done!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Guys - my father in law just found a trans that had been rebuilt, but now has a cracked case. We're thinking of using it, but I have some questions and I posted them in another thread, thinking that it is going in another direction from this thread so I wanted to keep them separate. Here's the link if anyone's interested. I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11340703

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
Good luck TyBragg! If you read all of buckhammers stuff then you read some of my posts. It was a straight forward swap for me, mine started right up with no wiring modifications what so ever. the only problem i have now is my cruise quit working. And in reading just now maybe it has something to do with my TS 6 pos chip? But other than that everything works great.

Quick Reply: E4OD to ZF5 - In Process