6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Loud whoosh under hood.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud whoosh under hood.

Got everything back together after my stc fitting install and truck is starting now within 1-2 secs and my ipr, icp and icv all look good. Had a loud blowing air noise after the first start and it went off after about a minute of idling. Took her for about a 20 minute spin to let everything get up to temp (had it on high idle for about 10 minutes atleast before driving). When first pulling out onto the highway it didnt really have any power and there was a loud noise like someone blowing compressed air under the hood and I was getting barely enough boost to move the needle. After driving the boost is getting back up around 20 but im not WOT because the air sound is really really loud and the turbo has a little delay but atleast its getting on up there. Now I dont know where the air noise is coming from, hood up and revving it up it sounds like it is coming from around the turbo but driving it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. I first thought exhaust leak but it doesnt do it just idling or just driving, only when you give it some gas. Also just for a note I have about a 7-8 degree spread between ECT and EOT. Havent put my boost in the scanguage so Im just going by the needle. The truck is running better and with more power after driving it several miles. Could I have a cracked boot or is it air in the system? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like a boot issue. There have been posts that when putting boot back on, they folded the bottom side and missed the connection. Or could be a tear.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Or it's an up-pipe or y-pipe issue and you're losing exhaust pressure between the exhaust manifolds and turbo.

Some people have also had difficulty getting the turbo inlet pipe attached properly and it leaks around there.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
The up pipe and inlet pipe attached to the turbo pretty easily (they look lined up anyway) but had big issues with the pipe that goes to the egr inlet but we finally got it seated. Would the inlet pipe to the turbo make noise under normal idle? The noise is only there if you rev it up way high or throttle it pretty good to build up boost while driving. Most exhaust leaks I have been around were very audible all the time and only got louder. Not saying its not because everything I thought I knew about engines(which isnt alot) is pretty much opposite on the 6.0, but then again it is my first diesel. Am going to check the boot on the turbo first to make sure it isnt rolled under on the bottom like amdriven2liv suggested, then Ill check the inlet pipe. Boost did seem to build more and quicker the more it was driven but since I dont know exactly the problem I dont want it on the road much. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by htcman74
The up pipe and inlet pipe attached to the turbo pretty easily (they look lined up anyway) but had big issues with the pipe that goes to the egr inlet but we finally got it seated. Would the inlet pipe to the turbo make noise under normal idle? The noise is only there if you rev it up way high or throttle it pretty good to build up boost while driving. Most exhaust leaks I have been around were very audible all the time and only got louder. Not saying its not because everything I thought I knew about engines(which isnt alot) is pretty much opposite on the 6.0, but then again it is my first diesel. Am going to check the boot on the turbo first to make sure it isnt rolled under on the bottom like amdriven2liv suggested, then Ill check the inlet pipe. Boost did seem to build more and quicker the more it was driven but since I dont know exactly the problem I dont want it on the road much. Thanks.
After replacing my oil cooler, egr cooler, and stc fitting, I had an exhaust leak. No boost would build. It ended up being my ypipe. Let it cool, start it up and jump under the hood and feel all around the up and ypipe.

If you find the leak there, try removing the turbo bolts, line up the pipes, then reinstall the turbo bolts....

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
I went and started it again and it is doing the air hissing constant now. Checked the boot first and it seemed sealed ok so it may be the y-pipe coming into the turbo. I read my backpressure at regular idle (14.7) and then at my high idle mod (21.4). I am fairly confident its not the down pipe, could be but it was almost fully against the turbo before putting the clamp on, we did have a little trouble getting the clamp on the y-pipe but it all seemed to line up with some manuevering. The biggest pain was the inlet to the egr but I dont think that one is the issue. Will wiggle the y-pipe after cool down. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Went out this morning to check where my "leak" was that was causing the noise. I removed the boot even though it looked like it was all the way on. Then I undid the clamp where the y-pipe goes into the turbo. When I got it loose it popped and sprung open, had to pry them off last time. The pipe looked seated and I couldnt budge it so I just put the clamp back on and tightened it down. Cranked up and the noise is gone. Took it for a test drive and I dont know if its just me but the turbo seems alot more sensitive which is good I guess. Still gotta put boost in the scanguage but I made a few stomps and the turbo went to where I would guess about 25-28. The whistle is louder it seems but then it could just be in my head because everytime I work on something I guess I always hear new sounds out of being paranoid. I guess maybe the clamp wasnt on good and the pipe expanding from heat could have caused it to blow by. Anyway gonna take her to work tonite so she can get about 70-80 good miles on her round trip. So far still holding the 7-8 degree spread on ECT and EOT so thats good. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 AM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by htcman74
Went out this morning to check where my "leak" was that was causing the noise. I removed the boot even though it looked like it was all the way on. Then I undid the clamp where the y-pipe goes into the turbo. When I got it loose it popped and sprung open, had to pry them off last time. The pipe looked seated and I couldnt budge it so I just put the clamp back on and tightened it down. Cranked up and the noise is gone. Took it for a test drive and I dont know if its just me but the turbo seems alot more sensitive which is good I guess. Still gotta put boost in the scanguage but I made a few stomps and the turbo went to where I would guess about 25-28. The whistle is louder it seems but then it could just be in my head because everytime I work on something I guess I always hear new sounds out of being paranoid. I guess maybe the clamp wasnt on good and the pipe expanding from heat could have caused it to blow by. Anyway gonna take her to work tonite so she can get about 70-80 good miles on her round trip. So far still holding the 7-8 degree spread on ECT and EOT so thats good. Thanks.
I would consider a new set of boots from riff raff even though you have it fixed, Imho its cheap insurance if your having some troubles now it doesn't hurt to get a good set on the truck.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Getting boots is at the top of my to-do list after christmas. Thorough coolant flush, boots, new tires, fuel pressure guage, pyro and need one other guage for a 3 way pillar guage. Already have a scanguage so want something that it might not cover or something that needs to be up there pretty much always. I think after that I will have a good eye on all that I need to.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
droffan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the same issue

big hole in the turbo hose

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 AM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay (Riff Raff) would be the guy to set you up on all that stuff plus he is a sponsor here