Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tunes, Boost and 6637 - Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DP Tunes, Boost and 6637 - Noise?

Ok, new to the DP Tunes. Love them. But I have questions.

I have my 6637 mated to 3.5 inch length of 4 inch pipe connecting the filter and the intake pipe. Never had a problem with that.

Now, on 80e or 140 smoke when I get on it (or mainly when ease off of it), I get a squeek..squeek...squeek sound (hard to explain but almost sounds like tires chirping) it is definitely coming from the engine side of my firewall right in front of me. I've wondered if I'm hearing air being sucked around my 4 inch pipe where the rubber intake is clamped down to it. I've tighened as much as possible.

Anyone else ever heard this under boost (hitting 25-30 lbs according to gauge)? Could it be something else. I've heard all descriptions of turbo surge and this doesn't sound like that (turbo still whistling away)...although I'm wondering if it could be the air taking the easiest way back out of my filter and making this strange noise.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is your boost gauge bouncing when you hear this noise?

Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
On my 02 when it shifts while driving in one of the higher tunes it will make a sound kinda like metal scraping. It was real bad with the wastegate unhooked. I hooked it back up and the noise is much less. I do not have a boost gauge. I'm guessing you're experiencing some turbo surge.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I once had a leaky joint on my up pipes and when I would get on it,it would make a chirping,kinda like a policemans whistle kinda sound( I know thats alot of kindas...whew)if thats a possibility have someone rev on it while you look under the hood at the rear of the engine bay behind the turbo,if the up pipes are leaking,you'll see black smoke.Just my .02 worth
Schlepprock

Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely have a small up-pipe leak but since I can hit 30 psi boost, I didn't figure the leak was too bad, but.....maybe that is what this noise is. If I had to pinpoint an exact location...it sounds like it is coming from under the dash around the steering column area....which would match up with the up-pipe leak I suppose.

The needle isn't bouncing that I can tell. I also noticed tonight that it does it most at around 20 psi boost...again...as i either back out or keep it level at that point...any more pedal and it stops making the noise.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You might be on the edge of surge. When the turbo just begins to chirp, that's when you've entered the surge zone. The needle might not quite bounce just yet, but you're there.