Sponsored by:

02' Excursion MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02' Excursion MPGs

I have a 2002 Excursion limited 6.8L gas. I currently get around 11.5 mpgs city and 11 mpgs when i haul my 5k lb work trailer. It has an aftermarket K&N air filter on it now. Im thinking of getting a throttle body spacer and getting my injectors flushed as well. Anything else out there that could increase my fuel economy without spending a whole lot?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, throttle spacers are a waste of money. Is yours a 4x4? If so, and you don't do much wheelin', you can do a little to the front axle to increase 1-2 mpg and still get your 4x back in minutes. Synthetic fluids through the entire drivetrain, less restrictive exhaust y-pipe, programmer, keeping your plugs, wires and coils in good working order, proper tire inflation and responsible driving habits.
Any one of these will help a little and won't hurt your bank account much, all of them together could get expensive but will give you the best increase.
There are a ton of posts on this topic already. Get to know the search function, it is a best friend. Also, if you find anything else that works, please share, as we are all trying to get all we can out of these awesome trucks.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
In addition, you could clean your MAF sensor. Be sure to disconnect the battery negative terminal when you do this so you don't short anything out. This also makes the computer relearn the new settings with a clean MAF sensor.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Reinbold
IMO, throttle spacers are a waste of money. Is yours a 4x4? If so, and you don't do much wheelin', you can do a little to the front axle to increase 1-2 mpg and still get your 4x back in minutes. Synthetic fluids through the entire drivetrain, less restrictive exhaust y-pipe, programmer, keeping your plugs, wires and coils in good working order, proper tire inflation and responsible driving habits.
Any one of these will help a little and won't hurt your bank account much, all of them together could get expensive but will give you the best increase.
There are a ton of posts on this topic already. Get to know the search function, it is a best friend. Also, if you find anything else that works, please share, as we are all trying to get all we can out of these awesome trucks.
To second Dan's motion and add to it:

-Throttle bodies on these trucks are a great waste of money

-Synthetic fluids like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the oil, differential, trans, and transfer case always help.

-As a new or not so new V10 owner, it is in accordance with tradition that you christen your truck for it's maiden voyage with a full tank of fuel and two bottles of this stuff in the tank: Techron/20 oz. fuel system cleaner (65740A) | Fuel Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com

-Also with tradition, if you haven't "fogged" your V10 yet: drive your truck till hot, then run some of this through the vaccum line at the brake booster while it's running, turn it off, wait 5 minutes, restart, rev, and watch the smoke show: Sea Foam/16 oz. engine fuel and diesel treatment (SF16) | Engine Additive and Cleaner | AutoZone.com

-You may also want to look into a new fuel filter and new Autolite plugs while you're at the 'zone. Neither costs very much and will help maximize fuel economy and power.

-You'll also need this stuff to clean your MAF sensor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=36011_0_0_

-As far as a programmer, the factory programming sometimes leaves a few things desired, so look up Mike at 5-star tuning: Got a V10 Ford F250/350/450/550? He can sometimes cut you a package deal depending on whats available. (I.e. programmer, y-pipe, intake, muffler etc.)

The above are proven methods to maximize power and fuel economy on the V10. While it may not get 15 city and 18 highway, you can expect 9-12 in town and 12 to as high as 16 mpg (very rare, but I've seen it) on the highway.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have also heard of getting a larger MAF sensor for the truck? will this help my fuel economy at all?

Toreador and Dan, thanks alot this will really help, didnt see the search button before either.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation HERE

all my other *gizmo* i have on there i did my mpg i am getting a tad bit over 13.2 mpg 35% city 65% hway..... if i used every drop of gas: 13.2 x 44gal = 580.8 miles for one tank. not bad for a V10 with 44gal tank

Dont pay attention to the lie-o-meter do the calculations by hand or cal.
just fill up (ouch!) reset your trip odd then drive till half tank, fill up again (ouch x2) then devide how many gallons it took to put back in there on THE FIRST STOP to the trip odd number
so it will be like this (miles drove) devide by gals = mpg
i am not good at explaining things lol

Let me know what you are getting!

**K&N air intake, BBK Dual 65mm throttle body, Jet Mass air flow, Jet spacer, Royal purple engine, Royal purple trans, Royal purple rear diff, Fitch Fuel Catalyst. took off my luggage rack, removed that big black rubber piece under the hood, ditched the running boards, took out the 3rd row seat and bass system**

Wanting: Banks Ultimate Power System for Towing & Work, flex-a-lite fan (i can get for $410) , jet 180 degree temp Thermostat, Performance coils and pulse iridium spark plugs.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
there's MANY MANY more factors that contribute to mileage than bolt ons too... the daily commute, the terrain, air temp, humidity, running the A/C, YOUR RIGHT FOOT!!!

i did the add on's with my F250 more for a hobby, but yet for a performance factor too. kinda miss the big beast, but eeehhhh moved on.

as for my Ex, here's the specs, NAPA gold air filter (no CAI kit, not worth the money), good plugs, new plug boots, cleaned throttle body it's self, cleaned IAC valve, cleaned MAF sensor, change oil every 4-5K with MC 5w20 (very insignificant oil burn off at all), napa gold oil filter, changed front/rear diff fluids with 75/90 supersyn from napa (full synthetic at about 4 bucks a quart), run tire pressure at recommended psi (yea it rides a hair rough, but better mpg), installed WARN manual lock hubs up front.....everything else is stock, exhaust, gears, LS diff ect...

average 15-16mpg at 60mph on my 25 mile trip to work. BUT there are no major hills, stop lights ect... it's flat and straight for the most part, and a steady speed. i can hook a trailer to it, and average 11-12 pretty much with anything that "I" have to pull. i tow a few atvs to the woods, or a single axle with a rzr on it, ect...

propper maintenance, and upkeep will probably net you more average mpg's than most add-ons.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i WISH i was getting 11mpg on a regular basis!

all my excursions have got 8-10 city and 10-14 highway.

consider yourself lucky!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Joemz9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlaskanEx! Nice to see someone else in that club aswell! I thought I had issues, I should change plugs but I average 9.5 with 35" tires

Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Before our great government decided that the 10% concoction called ethanol would be great for the masses, I used to consistently get 13.8 hwy(05 v-10). This was on the highway with the cruise set at 62(4.30 rears). Now I'm lucky if I get 11.5, very lucky. Truthfully speaking though, I wasn't expecting a whole lot mileage wise when I decided to buy a V-10 in an 8000# brick...lol.

The 01' PSD gets 17--18 consistently. There's just days on long trips that we don't feel like hearing the cackling/rattling so we opt and drive the V-10.

Folks, just fillem' up and enjoy!!!

Marty