6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DTE calculations

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 932 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
What's the difference between towing and normal DTE? I leave mine on towing all the time. It is very accurate, resets itself fairly quickly when I unhook and reset the MPG screen.

That might be the trick, reset your MPG screen when you either unhook or hook up. That's when the drastic change in economy happens and you need the DTE calculation to be re-worked. Never had a problem with mine and this is how I use the system.
Maybe thats the difference. I tried towing DTE setting once, didnt notice any difference, so I went back to normal. Normally takes about 2 tank fulls of fuel to get DTE back into the 400's after a long tow. Someone here said that there is in internal 500mile "average MPG" that is used to calculate DTE. Maybe the towing DTE setting is a shorter "average" thereby getting the DTE more accurate quicker.

I will try that after a long tow. which will be some number of months, now that we are in the winter season up here.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, that's all I can think of too. The towing mode should be using a shorter length of time to take snapshots of fuel usage in order to build the calculation for fuel remaining in the tank. So then maybe the normal mode uses a greater time span with the hope of building a more accurate estimation?

Seems kind of useless to me, why the two different options? Just one would be fine since we all have found that the system is very accurate regardless of which option we choose.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
flyinnuts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I might just stay in normal mode regardless. It provided what I thought was accurate DTE calculations and I was happy. KISS.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
don.joyce59
Senior User
I have found that mine will recalculate after a few miles. If I have been towing I will have about 400 miles to empty with a full tank. If I unhook from the trailer and drive for perhaps 30 miles I will find the DTE will have recalculated and show more miles to empty. The reverse is true if I have been running empty the hook up to the trailer. After about 30 miles my DTE will have adjusted to fewer miles. My old truck, 99 F250, required about two tanks of fuel to adjust.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Shaunpira47
New User
Seriously?

Originally Posted by don.joyce59
I have found that mine will recalculate after a few miles. If I have been towing I will have about 400 miles to empty with a full tank. If I unhook from the trailer and drive for perhaps 30 miles I will find the DTE will have recalculated and show more miles to empty. The reverse is true if I have been running empty the hook up to the trailer. After about 30 miles my DTE will have adjusted to fewer miles. My old truck, 99 F250, required about two tanks of fuel to adjust.
I I realized that this is a very old thread I just couldn't believe what I was reading. ANY vehicle that calculates distance to empty uses your average miles per gallon to do it. If you reset your average and drive the required distance usually around 50 miles it will recalculate based on your new average. the thing that bothers me is distance to empty is a simple math problem gallons x average MPGs equals distance to empty. And I can't believe that so many people are having an issue with it. Distance to empty is the number based on an estimate of the gallons remaining which makes it not exactly accurate, also averaged MPGs is a fluctuating number which also makes it slightly inaccurate. When you choose towing for your distance to empty calculation the computer knows to err on the low side not the high side that's all.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaunpira47
I I realized that this is a very old thread I just couldn't believe what I was reading. ANY vehicle that calculates distance to empty uses your average miles per gallon to do it. If you reset your average and drive the required distance usually around 50 miles it will recalculate based on your new average. the thing that bothers me is distance to empty is a simple math problem gallons x average MPGs equals distance to empty. And I can't believe that so many people are having an issue with it. Distance to empty is the number based on an estimate of the gallons remaining which makes it not exactly accurate, also averaged MPGs is a fluctuating number which also makes it slightly inaccurate. When you choose towing for your distance to empty calculation the computer knows to err on the low side not the high side that's all.
I believe the frustrating thing is it takes forever or never to actually update. For example, fill up and DTE based on 16mpg it will show 560+

Ok, now tow maybe 100 miles at 12mpg and the DTE will fluctuate and show a reasonable amount of miles remaining.

Unhitch and again driving 16+mpg, heck even 20mpg highway and the DTE doesn't reflect that... hit 1/2 tank and says 175 DTE... umm no it's more like 325 DTE

But whatever...

Old 11-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Shaunpira47
New User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I believe the frustrating thing is it takes forever or never to actually update. For example, fill up and DTE based on 16mpg it will show 560+

Ok, now tow maybe 100 miles at 12mpg and the DTE will fluctuate and show a reasonable amount of miles remaining.

Unhitch and again driving 16+mpg, heck even 20mpg highway and the DTE doesn't reflect that... hit 1/2 tank and says 175 DTE... umm no it's more like 325 DTE

But whatever...
The the DTE is based on your rolling average MPGs unless you reset it yourself. So if you fill up your truck and drive a hundred miles towing getting 12 miles per gallon (you must tow something kind of small mine gets around 8.5) and then 40 miles at 20 MPGs then your DTE is based off of an average of 14.28. that's why they give you a button to reset the average with. All it does is do the math for you, it's never wrong. If you want the new DTE you have to reset the average when you're done towing. Otherwise like in the numbers I use above the computer is calculating that you're going to continue doing the same thing a hundred miles at 12 miles per gallon and then 40 miles at 20 miles per gallon for the rest of the tank.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:19 PM
mbell5263
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djousma
I find the DTE display frustrating. Will show less than a hundred miles left with about a third tank of fuel. Gallons used on the trip meter is around 16 or 17. So really should have 150-180 miles left.

I dont have an answer to your question, just venting my experience too.
There is a reserve of several gallons after the system shows "empty". The number is dependent on the size tank, but all have a reserve of 4 or more gallons just so you don't run out. The DTE uses the average over the course of the trip so if you are driving W/O towing for part of it and while towing for part, or if part is stop and go vs hwy driving, it will change the calculation as you drive. By not including the reserve fuel in the DTE calculation it helps prevent people from running out due to the inaccuracy of the calculation.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mbell5263
There is a reserve of several gallons after the system shows "empty". The number is dependent on the size tank, but all have a reserve of 4 or more gallons just so you don't run out.
I call BS on that statement and challenge you to prove it.

If the Fuel Level Low light comes on I have 37 miles to empty on my 2016 and it is very accurate by doing the math.

Proof of the Fuel Level Low Light Is active @ 2866.4 miles

This image is showing 15 miles to empty and the odometer is reading 2867.0 miles.
If you look at the file name of these images you will see they were taken on April 1, 2017

This image shows Trip A at the time of refuelling, which is reset at every fuel up. I have the short bed with a 26 gallon tank.
You can see the computer has recorded I have used 23.9 gallons of fuel, traveled 246 miles since the last fill up and has an average of 10.3mpg on this tank. This contradicts the previous image that displays 11.7mpg.

This is an image of my log book from April 1, 2017

I recorded the mileage at 2867.0 traveled 246.0 miles since the last fill up and pumped 23.5 gallons into the tank. Doing the math that equated to 10.4mpg. 26gal - 23.5gal = 2.5 gallons remaining in the tank. 10.4 x 2.5 gallons = 26 miles till my fuel tank is empty. The computer was showing 15 miles to empty. At 0 miles to empty the computer would have said I would be out of fuel, when in reality I still had one gallon or so in reserve, which is pretty damn low considering that 1 gallon has to cover the entire bottom of the fuel tank.

Where is that 4 gallons of reserve you are talking about?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,420 Likes on 4,671 Posts
Damn dirt. You're dead nuts on this stuff. My DTE is all jacked up and I'm not really **** enough to do something about it. I take notes too...

But yea kid, dirt is really on top of this stuff. He just knows because of how he figures everything out like that.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:36 AM
ehagerty
Senior User
first tank in my used 2011 CCSB, DTE was 3mi, MPG was 16.7 and total fill was 22gal. That leaves 6gal in the hole

I was wondering if the difference between reg & tow DTE settings are due to the estimated angle of fuel tank when the rear is loaded vs unloaded.....

Old 11-21-2019, 06:58 AM
mbell5263
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirthawg
I call BS on that statement and challenge you to prove it.

If the Fuel Level Low light comes on I have 37 miles to empty on my 2016 and it is very accurate by doing the math.

Proof of the Fuel Level Low Light Is active @ 2866.4 miles

This image is showing 15 miles to empty and the odometer is reading 2867.0 miles.
If you look at the file name of these images you will see they were taken on April 1, 2017

This image shows Trip A at the time of refuelling, which is reset at every fuel up. I have the short bed with a 26 gallon tank.
You can see the computer has recorded I have used 23.9 gallons of fuel, traveled 246 miles since the last fill up and has an average of 10.3mpg on this tank. This contradicts the previous image that displays 11.7mpg.

This is an image of my log book from April 1, 2017

I recorded the mileage at 2867.0 traveled 246.0 miles since the last fill up and pumped 23.5 gallons into the tank. Doing the math that equated to 10.4mpg. 26gal - 23.5gal = 2.5 gallons remaining in the tank. 10.4 x 2.5 gallons = 26 miles till my fuel tank is empty. The computer was showing 15 miles to empty. At 0 miles to empty the computer would have said I would be out of fuel, when in reality I still had one gallon or so in reserve, which is pretty damn low considering that 1 gallon has to cover the entire bottom of the fuel tank.

Where is that 4 gallons of reserve you are talking about?
Let me rephrase...once the fuel guage is on empty there is usually still about 4 gallons in the tank. I was not referencing the low fuel light at all, but the DTE calculation. But your vehicle will not be "out of fuel" when the DTE reads zero, or at least it wasn't on any of the 4 trucks I've owned with this feature. Ford has always held fuel in reserve in an effort to prevent people from running out, though it still doesn't work. How much fuel varies from vehicle to vehicle, and from 1 tank size to another. I don't recommend driving until the display shows zero, nor do I recommend using the DTE or AVG MPG as spot on accurate, because they aren't. I recommend filling up once you get below 1/4 tank when possible regardless of the DTE. But, if you simply cannot, you'll probably still be able to drive 10-20 miles before your engine dies.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:43 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mbell5263
Let me rephrase...once the fuel guage is on empty there is usually still about 4 gallons in the tank. I was not referencing the low fuel light at all, but the DTE calculation.
Okay I'll let ya slide by on that.

I don't pay much attention to the fuel gauge but I think it reads empty at the time the fuel light illuminates which is at 37 miles to empty and for me that's about 4 gallons left. I would agree, the larger the tank the more fuel that's left in the tank at empty.