6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen And Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen And Towing

Queston for those towing 12,000 and above. Is the regen more frequent like the 6.4 or less?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't typically tow more than 12K, only done it once with the new truck.

I do tow a lot of 6-10K, 3500 miles so far this month (Sep).

I can tell you that the regen frequency is something I don't have a handle on yet. My opinion right now is that when towing and running interstates all day, the regen is less frequent than it would be if I was driving solo.

For example, when I drive in town running errands, short stop and go stuff without any load I almost always have a regen cycle. When I drive 900 miles in 2 days with a trailer in tow, it never goes into regen. My gut feeling is that the "passive regen" capability of this new engine is much more significant than with the 6.4 allowing it to clean itself better using the heat of the EGT and normal driving while towing instead of having to go into a full "active regen" cycle.

It's still early though and I could be wrong. This is all I can tell as of now.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I've got more miles pulling a trailer than with out a trailer.
I've only seen the regen come on twice so far and other than seeing the instant fuel mileage drop, You would never know it was regenning.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
tampacamper
Senior User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
I've got more miles pulling a trailer than with out a trailer.
I've only seen the regen come on twice so far and other than seeing the instant fuel mileage drop, You would never know it was regenning.

How many miles?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 10000 miles on my truck. 4000 towing 13000 pounds. I could not tell you how often the regen system has cycled. I know I have missed more messages than I have seen. I have timed almost all the cycles I did see. They last 10 minutes or so if the slight mileage drop is an indicator. My mileage drops .2 to . 3 mpg. I quit worrying about this several thousand miles ago. I had a 6.0 so no regens. Maybe the guys with 6.4 engines are much more concerned. I realize they had noticeable issues to deal with during regen. The truth, IMO, is the regens affect the power and mileage so little on the new truck that, unless you see the message flash, you do not realize it is regenerating.

Regards

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
When towing the truck takes advantage of the new passive regeneration and doesn't regen as much as previous years. Think of it as Regen 2.0. Here's a quote from a senior Ford engineer:
"Migrating to the CGI block from grey iron significantly decreased cylinder bore distortion. That combined with a significantly more efficient engine design and significantly less "active" DPF regen cycle in favor of "passive" regen has resulted in literally no oil growth in most situations / customer usage profiles."

There are three items mentioned in the quote that provide insights into the truly revolutionary design. Folks, we are the beneficiaries of some seriously high quality American engineering.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
My brother in law is a metallurgical engineer at Ford. He cast engines for them for 20 years. He said that Ford spent more time on this engine development than any engine in their history. Cheezit said there are more than 300 patents on this engine. Yes, Epic..., we are the beneficiaries of what is quickly becoming an engineering milestone.

Regards

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Tampacamper, I've got around 3300 miles on my truck today. Around 2200-2500 with trailers. I pull an equipment trailer with a skid loader or Mini Excavator almost daily. They weigh in around 9500 to 10,000 lbs depending what machine and accessories is loaded. I pull a dump trailer, hauling broken concrete to the recycling plant plant or gravel to job sites. This trailer loaded is usually 10,000 to 12,000 lbs. These two trailers are all city driving.

My horse trailer is 2006 Logan Coach 4 horse gooseneck. I often squeeze in a 5th horse. empty it's just under 6000 pounds. Horses are 1000 to 1200 lbs each depending which horses I load up plus camping gear, water, hay, saddles etc. Last weekend I had 150 gallons of water, 10 bales of hay, a generator and other camping gear and 4 guys loaded in the truck. So I'm pretty sure I had over 13,000 lbs loaded. And who knows what the parasitic drag was of Open drop windows for air ventilation for the horse, hay bales stacked in the roof rack etc.

I live at 4400 foot elevation and crossed several 7500 foot passes on my drive. My ultimate camp was at 10,200. So I had several good climbs. I wish I had a pyro so I could watch the EGT during those climbs. Truck had plenty of power, but it did drop into lower gears on the climbs. I put 768 miles on during this weekend trip. And never saw or noticed the regen. It might have happened, but I never saw it flash on the screen.

As Rickatic says. I consider it a non-event. You just don't notice it unless you see it flash on the screen.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Thanks guys for the reply. I will be heading to Mrytle Beach this weekend.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
tampacamper
Senior User
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Tampacamper, I've got around 3300 miles on my truck today. Around 2200-2500 with trailers. I pull an equipment trailer with a skid loader or Mini Excavator almost daily. They weigh in around 9500 to 10,000 lbs depending what machine and accessories is loaded. I pull a dump trailer, hauling broken concrete to the recycling plant plant or gravel to job sites. This trailer loaded is usually 10,000 to 12,000 lbs. These two trailers are all city driving.

My horse trailer is 2006 Logan Coach 4 horse gooseneck. I often squeeze in a 5th horse. empty it's just under 6000 pounds. Horses are 1000 to 1200 lbs each depending which horses I load up plus camping gear, water, hay, saddles etc. Last weekend I had 150 gallons of water, 10 bales of hay, a generator and other camping gear and 4 guys loaded in the truck. So I'm pretty sure I had over 13,000 lbs loaded. And who knows what the parasitic drag was of Open drop windows for air ventilation for the horse, hay bales stacked in the roof rack etc.

I live at 4400 foot elevation and crossed several 7500 foot passes on my drive. My ultimate camp was at 10,200. So I had several good climbs. I wish I had a pyro so I could watch the EGT during those climbs. Truck had plenty of power, but it did drop into lower gears on the climbs. I put 768 miles on during this weekend trip. And never saw or noticed the regen. It might have happened, but I never saw it flash on the screen.

As Rickatic says. I consider it a non-event. You just don't notice it unless you see it flash on the screen.
Thanks for the info. I will be towing a 9000# TT and a 36 goose neck race trailer 14000# Its interesting that the more you tow the less regens.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
When towing the truck takes advantage of the new passive regeneration and doesn't regen as much as previous years. Think of it as Regen 2.0. Here's a quote from a senior Ford engineer:
"Migrating to the CGI block from grey iron significantly decreased cylinder bore distortion. That combined with a significantly more efficient engine design and significantly less "active" DPF regen cycle in favor of "passive" regen has resulted in literally no oil growth in most situations / customer usage profiles."

There are three items mentioned in the quote that provide insights into the truly revolutionary design. Folks, we are the beneficiaries of some seriously high quality American engineering.
Passive regeneration is not new.
The 2010 emission version of the 6.4(MaxxForce 7) also has a CGI block.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I think Epic meant new to Ford diesels. Oh, this is the first really Ford built diesel in a F series. That makes it new...