1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

FUEL PRICES

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by scatgo
Yea but people keep claiming that one of the reasons we are at war is over oil!!??

These guys say it all.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73cntry
I saw this today might be almost a year old but does help shed some light on why we're all paying more. ULSD wish they had to buy the additive instead of us just my .02.

What's Holding Diesel Back in the U.S.?(1 Comments)
The Cars Are Better Than Ever, but Diesel Is Still a Tough Sell

Published: 05/18/2010 - by Ronald Montoya, Consumer Advice Associate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Keats/Creative
This is what most people associate with diesel vehicles, but it is no longer the case.A few years ago, experts predicted that the days of "dirty diesels" were over, and clean diesels would quickly reach the popularity of hybrids. They looked at the widespread acceptance of diesel vehicles in Europe and figured the same thing would happen here in the U.S. But the diesel revolution never happened. Fuel prices, lack of variety and an inclination toward hybrids kept diesel vehicles relegated to a niche market. But if the new breed of diesels is so good, what's holding them back?

Price of Fuel

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, since September 2004, the price of diesel fuel has been generally higher than the price of regular gasoline all year round. They cite three reasons for this: 1) Worldwide demand for diesel fuel has been increasing steadily, with strong demand in China, Europe and the United States putting more pressure on the tight global refining capacity; 2) in the United States, the transition to ultralow-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel has affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs; 3) the federal excise tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents higher per gallon (24.4 cents per gallon) than the tax on gasoline.

Although you'll get more energy from a gallon of diesel, many people only look at the price. Depending on the price of diesel fuel in your area, buying a diesel vehicle may feel like having a car that only takes premium fuel — which is as much as 25 cents more per gallon.
That right there I would say explains a lot of what you guys are talkin about. Ever seen a demand and supply graph???? If you increase demand...And increase input prices for suppliers, what do you get???? Higher prices.

I don't like it as much as the next guy. But complaining isn't going to get us far. It will only change when somebody with a real set of ***** steps up in this country and makes the changes that need to happen. Until then, we will continue working a deficit until we can't pay back the interest on it and we will end up in a situation like Cali is facing. Simple as that.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Then you have China taking over.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Looks like Mubarak is out. What do you think it would take to get our government to do what we want as far as the price of fule is concerned?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
The just said on the news that the price of a barrel of oil dropped like a rock now that Mubarak is out. How long do you think it will take before we see it at the pumps?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
The just said on the news that the price of a barrel of oil dropped like a rock now that Mubarak is out. How long do you think it will take before we see it at the pumps?
Couple weeks hopefully.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't get your hopes up, they will come up with a reason, just wait..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
You got that right Darin, they were just talking about the insecurity of the region. That alone is a reason. Mean while we are sitting on one of the world's biggest oil fields that the government will not let us tap

Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Funny thing, crude prices have been dropping for a week before all this in Egypt.

In the same time period, the price on the pump has increased 30 cents.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
You got that right Darin, they were just talking about the insecurity of the region. That alone is a reason. Mean while we are sitting on one of the world's biggest oil fields that the government will not let us tap
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Funny thing, crude prices have been dropping for a week before all this in Egypt.

In the same time period, the price on the pump has increased 30 cents.
?
Time to go Egyption?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought the idea behind supply and demand was if demand increased then prices would go down, cause supply would obviously be "increased"

You bring prices down on objects that sell a lot so more people will buy them, not increase.

whatever.
I guess that seems irrational to them.

I know here that Gas prices have went down 30 cents, and diesel has not changed.
3.08 for 87, and 3.55 for diesel.
Sometimes you can find it for 3.49.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM
lovemy7.3!
Senior User
thats what i thought too. demand ?...price down..but thats not how it works with fuel. in the summer demand goes up...price goes up..every year.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Talyn
I thought the idea behind supply and demand was if demand increased then prices would go down, cause supply would obviously be "increased"

You bring prices down on objects that sell a lot so more people will buy them, not increase.

whatever.
I guess that seems irrational to them.

I know here that Gas prices have went down 30 cents, and diesel has not changed.
3.08 for 87, and 3.55 for diesel.
Sometimes you can find it for 3.49.
No sir. If supply stays the same and demand increases, price goes up.

Originally Posted by lovemy7.3!
thats what i thought too. demand ?...price down..but thats not how it works with fuel. in the summer demand goes up...price goes up..every year.
That's exactly the way it works. See my above comment.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Any one know just how much money people are making off of us on diesel. And how much ofd it is tax? And lets not forget how many people rely on it to keep there homes warm in the winter. I can tell you that I pay close to a dollar a gallon more at the pumps for it a I guess that is tax.
They tax the hell out of us here in NY. I pay close to 10 dollars for a pack of smokes here on LI and when I go into NYC it is closer to 15 dollars a pack because of tax. If we pay so much in tax for fuel I guess you can see where our government is probably taking in billions a day from the sale of gas and oil. And I guess you can see why the government wont put a cap on the profits people make on oil.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well fuel up 10 cents since yesterday.

3.599 here in town

3.999 out by the interstate

5 dollars a gallon by June, recession 2.0 by August is my current forcast.

Quick Reply: FUEL PRICES