1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

FUEL PRICES

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
C350CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope everyone doesnt think I started this and then just dissappeared. Death in the family Monday nite.
It is nice to know that their are others that are as po'ed about this as I am.

Quote:
What do you suggest instead of supply and demand out of curiosity?

I dont have a problem with supply and demand, it is just how the oil co. are using demand for justification to raise the prices. I know there are alot of other factors/people that are responsible not just big oil.

Quote:
Supply and demand is the way the free market economy works when it is unregulated and allowed to function on its own. The issue here is that the government has been screwing with the supply and the demand has increased, or stayed the same. If it weren't for government interference, the market would be allowed to correct itself by drilling for more oil.

Again, I dont have a problem with supply and demand, when it works as it should. I always thought supply/demand meant that if I have a product and there is a demand for it, then I will sell the product and make some money. If the demand goes up and I need more product, doesnt mean I should charge more. And if the supply is not there, again I should not be charging more. The price should be set by what it cost to produce and a profit margin that is fare. After all no one is in business to lose money. Dont forget, we arent talking about a watch or something, gas is a necessity of everday life and making a huge profit off of people is just wrong. And I agree that more drilling and more refineries would fix the problem in theory. But what about the traders on Wall Street that are driving the prices up? What will it take to stop that?

Quote:
5 dollar a gallon fuel, was I the only person that noticed the banking and auto industries both collapsed right after that.

Let's see, I can fill my car with gas so I can go to my job, and spend what I have left on food, or I can buy a new car and make my house payment.

Wait a second, if I can't get to my job, how do I make the house payment and pay for the new car........

I totally agree, I have been saying the same thing for a long time. The big oil co. should be bailing the car co. and banks out, not us, they made the billions and billions.

This is not a problem that will go away and it cant be fixed tomorrow. But if it is not fixed, what we are seeing now is a drop in the bucket. And you cant point to just one thing that is causing this, but bottom line, after cost to produce, no one deserve to make an exorbitant profit off of something that is a necessity, I am not against anyone making money. I truely believe that consumers can make an extreme impact and force the prices down.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be fixed...when this so called "recovery" is trampled by high fuel prices again...and then like last time the prices will fall. It's still supply and demand and I hope the wall street people loose their shirts when the prices tank again.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I'm not hopeful it will get fixed. I didn't actually see anyone protesting last time it hit 5 bucks. I didn't hear the media complain about it. I did hear idiots saying "well it cost's more in Europe". Made me want to smash some teeth in. We are NOT Europe! That is what people need to get through their thick heads. If our cost of living goes up that fast, like when gas hit 5 bucks last time, and pay does not go up accordingly, then a lot more people end up poor. Like me. It's about to happen again. I wonder if Obama will blame Bush again.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
C350CREW
Senior User
Quote:
I did hear idiots saying "well it cost's more in Europe". Made me want to smash some teeth in. We are NOT Europe! That is what people need to get through their thick heads.

Amen brother, I cant help it that other people have to pay that much, but it aint got nuttin to do with me. If they dont like paying that much then shut up and move. The people in Brazil only pay $.17 gallon and I dont care cause who the h*** want to live down there.
I think a bunch of good ole boys need to load up their bass boats and make a trip across the big water and show them Arabs what we are about over here. I'll have to hitch a ride with someone cause my boat dont have a motor and I cant row that far, but I'm in if anyone wants to go.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Hows this for a conspiracy theory. The tree huggers are now in charge of this country and they are going to try everything they can to drive up the cost of flue in a attempt to force us to conserver as much as possible. And or force us to accept some half assed alternative to driving with fossil fuel like eletric cars.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 PM
14psd
Senior User
Well fellas DIYMechanic, C350Crew, and RRanch I agree with your statements particularly this shtuuff gotta stop. (I agree with most of ya'll too). We DON'T live in Europe, we have a HUGE puddle of oil under our own dirt and we NEED to get these tree huggin', wind lovin', hopin' for change, communists out of power, period. They have created a huge mess that is going to take years to get us out of. Well if I don't stop now I will go on forever. That's my 0.02.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
OP,To add insult to injury the goverment gives the oil companies money!!! RR, doesn't matter if a third grader is president, they are puppets, they do what they are told to do! Scatgo, nothing wrong with research and R&R to develope a good alternative. Creates jobs and security for the nation. I think the point is to leave us alone with burning fuel until something better comes along. I would love to see a good fuel that will run our PSD's and not hurt them! Todd, the trouble is the ten most richest family's control the whole world. What they say, goes. Its a sad state of affairs. They are poisoning our brains so we can't think. They want a nation of brain dead people because they don't want us to raise up with our guns!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
A few short years ago the government promised us that bio fuels would be the thing of the future. Then when noone was looking they pulled all the funding for it and all of those companies that set up to manufacture it, nearly all, went under.
They also promised us wind energy would deliver us from the evil Iranian empire and make us more self sufficient, meanwhile they forced the closing of numerous coal plants and coal mines. If you live in North, south East or parts of West Texas this week then you know where that got us. Blackouts all over the state because coal plants were off line, froze or abandoned and the wind generators decided it was too cold to come online.
The government just needs to get out of the business of messing with fuel. Fuel of any kind! Now they are talking about rolling blackouts in my part of Texas to save energy. That's gonna make me flip my lid. People die in temps like this when the government shuts off power.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
73cntry
Senior User
I saw this today might be almost a year old but does help shed some light on why we're all paying more. ULSD wish they had to buy the additive instead of us just my .02.

What's Holding Diesel Back in the U.S.?(1 Comments)
The Cars Are Better Than Ever, but Diesel Is Still a Tough Sell

Published: 05/18/2010 - by Ronald Montoya, Consumer Advice Associate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Keats/Creative
This is what most people associate with diesel vehicles, but it is no longer the case.A few years ago, experts predicted that the days of "dirty diesels" were over, and clean diesels would quickly reach the popularity of hybrids. They looked at the widespread acceptance of diesel vehicles in Europe and figured the same thing would happen here in the U.S. But the diesel revolution never happened. Fuel prices, lack of variety and an inclination toward hybrids kept diesel vehicles relegated to a niche market. But if the new breed of diesels is so good, what's holding them back?

Price of Fuel

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, since September 2004, the price of diesel fuel has been generally higher than the price of regular gasoline all year round. They cite three reasons for this: 1) Worldwide demand for diesel fuel has been increasing steadily, with strong demand in China, Europe and the United States putting more pressure on the tight global refining capacity; 2) in the United States, the transition to ultralow-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel has affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs; 3) the federal excise tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents higher per gallon (24.4 cents per gallon) than the tax on gasoline.

Although you'll get more energy from a gallon of diesel, many people only look at the price. Depending on the price of diesel fuel in your area, buying a diesel vehicle may feel like having a car that only takes premium fuel — which is as much as 25 cents more per gallon.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
The problem with this is America runs on diesel. Trains, trucks, buses, ships farms. All run on diesel. How is it a tough sell? Gas engines can not and never will be able to do these jobs.
ALL ships run on some form of diesel. Unless it's some really really old sob that is still burning black oil or coal. I've worked on one of each but I'm pretty sure they are all gone now. Gas turbine and gas fired boiler steam ships, and diesel powered ships obviously, all run on diesel fuel.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
73cntry
Senior User
I'd love to have paid 2.90 (gas) today for diesel vice 3.34 around here.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
lovemy7.3!
Senior User
what burns my **** is diesel fuel is 1 one of the cheapest fuels to refine...and yet costs as much if not more at the pump than gas!!!! i know it wont happen but if we would all park our vehicles for a week and let em choke on it all then maybe they would take note. im gona fill my chevy 2500 4X4 (99) (and its for sale by the way) fill my 941/2 F250 ext cab 7.3, fill my 92 F800 7.8 dump truck....park all 3 of em..(not any work for the dump anyway) and run my 91 chevy S10 2.0 4 banger for the rest of the winter. will save me about $400 a month on fuel thru april and be fun to drive around these slick roads anyway. and where are all of those obama voters now? 2 hyears ago it was "im votin for obama" everywhere i went. now i cant find 1 single person who will admit voting for that muslim SOB!!!....all of you make valid points in what you have to say but im just wondering what its gona take for americans to finally rise up and be heard as you see in egypt. right or wrong...its kudos for the egyptians for standing up and raising hell about what they believe has got to change and im looking forward to the day that we have the ***** to do the same! ok ive said it now ill shutup. boy that felt good

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If everyone in this forum parked their diesels, the oil companies would not even notice.

Get all the semi's to park, now they will start to notice.

I remember the truckers on strike over high fuel prices back in the early 80's.

Diesel over 1.50 a gallon, unheard of.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
You want cheap diesel, stop the wars, they are burning up an unbelievably amount of diesel!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
You want cheap diesel, stop the wars, they are burning up an unbelievably amount of diesel!

Yea but people keep claiming that one of the reasons we are at war is over oil!!??

Quick Reply: FUEL PRICES