1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

FUEL PRICES

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supply and demand is the way the free market economy works when it is unregulated and allowed to function on its own. The issue here is that the government has been screwing with the supply and the demand has increased, or stayed the same. If it weren't for government interference, the market would be allowed to correct itself by drilling for more oil.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The Bio Diesel thing just isn't a good alternative yet. It still takes more energy to MAKE the Bio from scratch than it produces. The technology just isn't there to make Bio production more cost effective than using Dino.

It just burns me to no end that we are sitting on so much energy here in our own country and we can't, no, WON'T tap the resources we already have. From our own oil reserves to oil shale, to coal liquefaction, the energy is here in our own back yards, but our leadership seems to be just fine with making us totally dependent on foreign sources that hate us.

Sorry, this is kinda on of my hot button topics if you can't tell.
x2 on that but lets not forget who is responsible fore this situation. It is the tree hugging bleeding heart liberal ****** truckers who wont let us drill on our own turf!! And God forbid we use nuclear power to generate electricity. Our local power company got the OK to build a Nuclear power plant here on Long Island and after about 6 years of construction and probably a billion dollars later the local politicians caved to the pressure and pulled there permit to use the reactor!!!!

PLEASE DIE AL GORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
In many states, necessities of life, are tax free all the time. Like food, diapers, hearing aids, wheel chairs...... Well I can't get to work without burning fuel. Either mine or in the bus or the train. It even takes fuel to harvest the hay to feed my horse.
So fuel is a necessity of life. It should not be taxed period. That would help.
Did you all know they tax air around here too. Seriously. I had to pay sales tax on using the air compressor at a gas station last week. Now that is really criminal! It cost a dollar for the woman to turn it on plus 8.25 cents sales tax!!!!!

SCATGO, you are dead on!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

What we have to deal with is, China is sucking up oil, and Pelosi and the other criminals in the government all have stock in things like wind power. So they won't be too interested in helping us. And this is not really the right forum to discuss the government anyway. It gets too heated.

We have bio here in one station in town. It was always higher by 10-20 cents a gallon. So nobody bought it. Now it came down a bit. It is still higher but only by a few cents. They are using it in heating oil at the same place too.

I am down to 3 trucks and an expedition on the road, so even 5 cents a gallon means a lot at the end of the month. I just buy at the cheapest place I can find. The lowest price around here is about $3.35. The highest I have seen in the last week was $3.99. Just depends on where you get it. Each town is different. I am betting over $4.50 by the spring. With the economy as bad as it is, this is no time for fuel to go up this way. It will put a lot of people out of business.

I am in construction. As soon as the weather gets better I will leave a storage box on each job and ride my motorcycle to the job. I just got a hitch for it and I am getting a small trailer for it.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
I am all for the BD route, and making your own isnt a bad alternative. Its not dangerous on your engine if you make sure to test the stuff before and after you make it, to ensure you dont have bad stuff going into yours. I for one, am all about the WVO, and sticking it to the dino industry as we keep increasing prices. I get the tax issue, and the other interests in this industry, but enough is enough! LOL

Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
rolltide3006
Mountain Pass
I know this is kinda off topic, but I want to get this off my chest. Why in the world are there not more natural gas powered cars on the road? Honda is the only car manufacturer in the U.S. that produces a vehicle that runs off of the most abundant U.S. energy source- natural gas. The thing is is you can't find em' anywhere besides California, Utah, and I think one other state. I would LOVE to have a daily driver (along with my truck) that runs off natural gas like the Civic GX that I could refuel every night at my own house! They sell this natural gas compressor that taps into your home's nat gas supply and fills your tanks in about 8 hours. The only shortcoming of nat gas vehicles that I can see, is range. With both tanks fully charged (3600 psi) the Civic GX gets about 260 miles? What I can't figure out is why they don't make multi-fuel cars (like other countries) that allow you to switch over to diesel of gasoline when your nat gas runs out to extend the vehicles range. I guess the politicians are in bed with the wrong folks. Instead, they produce $30,000-40,000 electric vehicles that are supposed to be the solution. What if I want to take a road trip- how do I charge the batts? Geeeez. Will some car company make me a a multi-fuel car that I can run off nat gas when it is cheap or gas or diesel when they are cheap.

They say that the U.S. has enough natural gas to continue at the current rate of consumption for 100 years. To be fair I know that if a large amount of natural gas powered vehicles hit the road, because of supply and demand the price of natural gas would also increase, which would make the nat gas route a little less attractive. But, one thing to consider- they are still discovering nat gas reserves with this new shale drilling technology and who know how much we could be sitting on.

I'm running out of steam here, but what I want to know is if you can run a diesel engine off nat gas or use it as and additive to the fuel like propane. Like I said I know this is off topic, I just think that the government is offering the wrong solutions to this countries energy problems. I like Nuclear power for the grid and nat gas for vehicles. Instead they are going with wind, solar, coal for the grid and electric for cars. thanks guys for letting me vent

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
You arent the only one venting, LOL! We are all there..

Many years back I worked for a road construction outfit, and the trucks ran off propane. I remember this as the smell drove me nutty, hated it! LOL! I dont think Nat Gas can be used in place on diesel engines due to compression.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
What we have to worry about is Russia making a deal with China to sell them oil, not us. The transactions will not be in dollars which will deflate the dollar even more then it is now. It doesn't matter what letter is in front of our so called leaders names, whether its a R, D, or a I. They are all on the take, filling there pockets with lobby money and to heck with us. As far as the president goes, it does not matter who is in office. They do as they are told to do or else. Our governments goal is to kill us off with the chem trails, GMO food that wild life will not eat, radiated food, the list goes on and on. The hospitals will make a lot of money as we all die off and then they take our guns. This country is a bunch of sheep with their heads in the sand. WOW, it does feel good to vent!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Holy gravy Glenn.. You get em! LOL!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually
Holy gravy Glenn.. You get em! LOL!
Thanks Chris, I probably got carried away. I just wonder how many people even know about GM food and the spraying of us with chemical trails? Some of this Genetically Modified Food does make good Biodiesel, that's about all its good for. Our bodies do not recognized it as food, its very hard on our organs. But, as I was reading through these posts there was a lot of good points made. Almost all of them I thought, I'll quote this one on a reply.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks Chris, I probably got carried away. I just wonder how many people even know about GM food and the spraying of us with chemical trails? Some of this Genetically Modified Food does make good Biodiesel, that's about all its good for. Our bodies do not recognized it as food, its very hard on our organs. But, as I was reading through these posts there was a lot of good points made. Almost all of them I thought, I'll quote this one on a reply.
Its awesome to get carried away! If nobody gave a care enough, then we all would be in a worse place yet! LOL!

I agree with ya.. Any synthetic substance introduced into our bodies, or environment isnt healthy. We werent designed to process plastic! LOL!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Diesel, gasoline, solar, hydrogen, coal, hydro electric, natural gas, nuclear, wind.

I don't care which one you pick, putting all your eggs in one basket is never good.

Drilling moratorium on the east coast and gulf for 7 years, that will probably be good for a couple extra dollars a gallon for gas and diesel.

Coal companies here are having mining permits pulled, delayed or flat out denied.

Wanna guess how much natural gas it takes to generate as much electricity as coal does right now?

Wanna guess how many wind generators it would take to generate that much power?

And to top that, the EPA even has problems with the wind generators, they have to have transmission lines and the blades may chop up some birds.

Hydro electric power, turbines chop up fish, so the DNR and EPA has issues with them.

Nuclear, we won't even go there.

5 dollar a gallon fuel, was I the only person that noticed the banking and auto industries both collapsed right after that.

Let's see, I can fill my car with gas so I can go to my job, and spend what I have left on food, or I can buy a new car and make my house payment.

Wait a second, if I can't get to my job, how do I make the house payment and pay for the new car........

Oh thats right, unemployment benefits were extended.

Wonder why the federal debt has increased from 10 trillion to 14.1 trillion in the last two years?

Took 40 years to get to 10 trillion.

Where did common sense go?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Dave, I think it went to individual profit, LOL!

I felt this recent hike in fuel prices pretty hard myself. I got the nasty news last week when it came to the feed for the ranch.. The danged feed jumped almost $4 per 100 lbs!! Now, figuring I need about 4 tons a month to operate, that wasnt a pleasant increase. When I called my suppliers, I was told that the price increase was due to fuel cost increase... My ars it is.. I know fuel went up, but not to the tune of that price increase! I checked around here, and everyone is doing the same thing.

Looks like its time to get a bigger flatbed, process more bio, and just do my own thing! Good grief!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
"Where did common sense go?"
That's the key in all of this. We have let the extremes on both sides polarize the debate to the point that common sense gives way to emotion and we "feel" without thinking. I agree that we can't afford to put all our eggs into one basket.

EVs may be great but where is all the electricity going to come from to charge their batteries? Without allowing our power companies to expand (instead of trying to make them smaller) we won't be able to keep up with the demand.

We can't afford to tap and deplete all our resources, but if we don't expand and allow some loosening of the rights to our own resources, we are putting all our eggs into the baskets of dictators in highly unstable middle-eastern and south American countries. (Anybody see the headlines on Egypt lately?)

The common argument against drilling for oil in ANWAR, offshore, or anywhere else is that it will be years before we see any of that oil hit the market. But if we had done it when we first started talking about it, we would be seeing in NOW. And without the EPA loosening up a little and issuing some permits for new refineries, that oil does us no good whatsoever.

It is getting close to the time when our government is going to have to realize that this is starting to not only threaten the economy, but the sovereignty of our nation.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The EPA will be happy when humans are all dead.

I am sorry, but that is the only way humans will not have an impact on the planet.

Even cave men had an impact on the earth.

Granted, it was much smaller, mostly because there were so few.

Imagine where we would be today if every house was heated by a wood fire.
Sure would be hard to see the sun.

Now imagine where we would be if what was on the dinner table was what we killed today.
Sure would be a bunch of hungry people.

And the end result, very few if any trees and almost no if any animals or fish.

Quick Reply: FUEL PRICES