1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

cool finds

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my Panel from a fella up in the Catskills in NY state. I put it on a trailer to get it back to Delaware. When I unloaded it and was drifting it down my driveway a Copperhead snake dropped out from on top of the gas tank. My wifes face was worth a million $$. Cool thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I found poison ivy, lots of it, when I was dragging the cab and clip out of the brush on the hottest day of the year. Not so cool, lol.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
mathew21
Junior User
I bought a 1971 VW beetle for $200.00 a few years ago. When I got it home and started to clean it up I found a rare Hazet tool kit that fit in the spare tire of a 50's Beetle. I put it on Ebay and it sold for $650.00.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget
Are you serious? A dynamite stick? You better get rid of it. I've only worked with dynamite just a bit and that was years ago, but the active ingredients-mostly nitroglycerine-I think? seep out and about and become more concentrated than orginal--I guess the nitro pools as it seeps throught the sawdust-like composition of the dynamite, and somehow anyway becomes mighty unstable! Maybe the modern stuff is better, but the stuff originally had to be turned in the boxes etc from time to time to prevent the seepage etc. Your tool box itself might be filled with nitro?
Check it out.

Get rid of it! That's my suggestion. Pinstrippers need fingers haha.
Yeah, iwannaflattie, didn't you watch LOST?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Some "take home" advice

I recently found a bunch of old radiator caps in my 54 F250 when I cut out the rusted back cab corners. The truck originally belonged to the local radiator shop, hence the radiator caps.

Speaking of critters in the truck - When I use to restore old Air cooled VWs (bugs, buses, etc.) I encountered a wasp nest while traveling down I-95. We had loaded an old Beetle on the trailer and didn't notice the nest inside. About 10 miles down the road a local police officer came up next to us and was gesturing to the swarm in/around the car. We knew better than pull over (lest the wasps swarm us). We drove that way for over 85 miles. From this day forward, ALL vehicles that have sat for a time and haven't been maintained get the insect fogger treatment. Once the vehicle is loaded up, a fogger is set off and left to fumigate while we drive. You do have to be careful because some foggers can generate heat. Last year we found a dead (but recently alive) pilot snake inside a 57. Glad I used the fogger, I hate snakes! I have encountered rats, mice and my favorite a raccoon.

Enjoy, be safe and let me know if you found a gold bullion bar inside your next purchases.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by teardropty
I recently found a bunch of old radiator caps in my 54 F250 when I cut out the rusted back cab corners. The truck originally belonged to the local radiator shop, hence the radiator caps.

Speaking of critters in the truck - When I use to restore old Air cooled VWs (bugs, buses, etc.) I encountered a wasp nest while traveling down I-95. We had loaded an old Beetle on the trailer and didn't notice the nest inside. About 10 miles down the road a local police officer came up next to us and was gesturing to the swarm in/around the car. We knew better than pull over (lest the wasps swarm us). We drove that way for over 85 miles. From this day forward, ALL vehicles that have sat for a time and haven't been maintained get the insect fogger treatment. Once the vehicle is loaded up, a fogger is set off and left to fumigate while we drive. You do have to be careful because some foggers can generate heat. Last year we found a dead (but recently alive) pilot snake inside a 57. Glad I used the fogger, I hate snakes! I have encountered rats, mice and my favorite a raccoon.

Enjoy, be safe and let me know if you found a gold bullion bar inside your next purchases.
Wow. I never even thought about all those issues. For sure I can see it happening. I've prowled over and around all kinds of junky cars and trucks and for sure just like a reef in the ocean its a great habitat for the insect and animal kingdom.

Watch where you stick your fingers and face the next time you check out a possible project.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
my truck is full of spiderwebs...they seem to be from black widows...but the truck its too low to get to them with a pressure washer....i never thought about sticking my fingers in every corner tho....let this be a lesson for new buyers..we have rattle snakes here in summer and we have the worst kind mojave green rattlesnakes i killed/skinned one with out knowing it was that dangerous....its now my hatband

Last edited by iwanaflattie; 01-09-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: more bla bla bla
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Yeah, snakes seem to hate the fogger too (attacks the nervous system I am told). The fogger gets the spiders out also.

My last 54 had a neat pair of old eyeglasses too. The old wire rim kind. These trucks can tell a story, just make sure to listen. When I buy a new project I love tracking down the previous owners. Sometimes the POs really aren't too friendly (guess they don't see the same excitement I do) but usually the POs are thrilled to hear that their "old farm truck" is still alive and kicking. Wish the states would make it easier to track down POs but of course there are privacy rights issues, etc. I encourage everyone to try and find out what the history is on their trucks.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
my truck is full of spiderwebs...they seem to be from black widows...but the truck its too low to get to them with a pressure washer...
Perhaps you can get rid of them with your dynamite.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
not funny Wayne