Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

January 2011 - General Chat Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Morning Everyone!!!

Got the kiddo's up a little bit ago for their first day back to school after a LOOOONG break...Oldest is eating right now and youngest just finishing up in the shower...they are moving pretty slooooooow...

Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Mornin' all!

My kids started back yesterday Joe.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Yeah...our teachers must have a better contract...they have been off for a full 2 weeks but yesterday was "records day"...go figure...!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM
huggyb1972
Tuned
Hello Nebo and X hemi how are you guys today? I just popped in to say hey. We had ours back to school Monday as well. Does any body in Indiana Chapter ever meet?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
well hey back huggyb!!

I think Joe has talked about getting some meets together.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
huggy,

Yes...we are trying to set up at least one Indiana chapter meet probably in the early August timeframe simply due to my travel schedule...

Do you and your family camp?...the thought is that we'd meet at a State Park somewhere and anyone that camps will camp and those that don't we'll simply get a pavillion there and have a pot luck meal and some afternoon BS'ing...how does that sound?

I am wanting to do some Friday evening dinner meet and greets and then a group drive...a few times a year...but being Indiana is so large...I can't possibly get around the whole state...

Thoughts?

Joe.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
huggyb1972
Tuned
I do camp and would be willing to come to a M/G my Bronco is ready to go I also am on fullsizebronco.com but I check in here as much as possible.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Cool on the camping...that is always the easiest way to get folks together.

I like the state parks because we can get a pavillion for all the non-campers but we can also go back to a campsite for anyone wanting to stay late and BS around the campfire about Blue Ovals and drink some beer, etc...

Since we'll likely only do one of these campouts...I'm thinking either McCormick's Creek, Mounds or Whitewater which are all more centrally located parks and not too hard to get too...have you been to any of those?

I love Mounds because it is a small campground and allows for some great hikes along the White River...

Joe.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
huggyb1972
Tuned
I was at Mounds years ago I don't remember it much My Camper is close to McCormicks Cr. is Whitewater out by Brookville?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Okay Wag...I made my decision...

I took my little girl over to Gander Mountain and had her shoulder both the Marlin 1894 and Ruger 77/44. Both were about a 1/2 to 1" long in the pull length but not too bad.

The Marlin is a tad bit heavier by about a pound or so.

The Marlin has the tubular magazine which cannot be lost so I really like that...which adds to the weight since it is a 10 shot tube under the barrel...

The Ruger comes with the base and rings already.

The Ruger truly is weather proof like no end.

In the end I ended up choosing the Marlin and I think I got a great price at $520 which was about $80 less than Gander normally sells it for but Dick's has a sale going on right now so they matched that price no problem.

I now have to get a weaver base and a set of rings (~$20 total). I am looking at a Bushnell Dawn to Dusk 1x4-32mm scope in matte finish to mount on it.

Also while I was there I looked at the Ruger 10/22 for her to learn on...I have always liked this .22 rifle but never bought one...until tonight that is...I ordered one of those too...he priced matched a local gun shop on that too. Ganders normal price was $230 and I got it for $210.

All in all I think I did okay on price...had I waited for the "sales" I may have gotten a better price...but I think I did okay...

Now I have to just pay for both of these...hehe

They didn't have either there so I will have to wait until later in the week...but that's cool...

The Mrs. was okay with me buying the daughter a couple of guns...but had they been toyz for dad...oh boy would that have gone over like a lead balloon!!!

I'll let you know when I get the hardware...but I think the little one is very happy...I mean who wouldn't be who just got TWO guns!!!

Joe.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning Indiana!

Happy Hump Day!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Good morning everyone!

Wag...a couple of questions for you...

shooting stick, bi-pod or tri-pod...for use inside the blind...what would be your suggestion?

I ask because I am afraid my little girl will have a bit of a hard time supporting the gun by herself for a few years and wanted to be able to give her a better chance of holding the gun steady while inside the blind.

The way I see it being inside the blind that only the shooting stick or bi-pod are real options for working well?...I can see standing either right up next to the window whereas a tri-pod is wider and would keep the gun too far inside the blind I think.

I believe I would lean towards the bi-pod so I could stand it right up next to the window but it also gives more stability side to side and then she can adjust the elevation by simply raising and lowering her shoulder...

What do you think...what is your opinion on this topic?

I just want to give her the best odds possible.

Thanks!
Joe.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Good Morning Indiana!

Mid week means closer to the weekend so lets get this day over with.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
Congrats Joe! You did good!!

I'd definately go bi-pod. We have a really nice shooting stick that I tried this year but it allows too much swaying. You or I could use it fine. But I need to get a good bi-pod, I feel it will definately give a lighter, less stable person a good rest! Congrats again, to you, and especially to the little lady!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Wag,

Thanks for the confirmation...I figured the bi-pod would be the way to go and that the single shooting stick would provide too much sway for a younger shooter...whereas the bi-pod is a pretty stable rest.

Thanks again for the discussion!

Have you been out on the ice yet?...should be starting to make some good ice FINALLY!!!

Joe.

Quick Reply: January 2011 - General Chat Thread!