6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is GM getting nervous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
After THIS TEST Chevy has nothing to be nervous about.

All of us know that Ford makes a better truck. But the Chevy/Duramax/Allison package is a STRONG puller.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
dfboothe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that test seemed really biased to me, but it could of been my love of ford trucks telling me that, just my opinion

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great ads and the second test results are shocking to say the least. That is not even close - no wonder Ford declined the showdown but the tests seem a completely fair apples to apples comparison.

I still love my Ford but pound for pound, GM is the Pacquiao of this shootout.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 AM
LI Happy Camper
Senior User
Duramax

Fine Chevy won a bu**sh** contest but it is still a butt ugly looking truck. I owned a 2002 Silverado SRW that I loved but upgraded to a 2005 Ford F-350 DRW in 2004. I had nothing but problems with my 6.0 Ford and swore this past summer I would never buy another Ford again. When I saw all those Chevy commercials about the new fully boxed frame on TV, and the truck looked great, I was convinced I was going back to Chevy. That was until I went for a test drive of the 2011 Chevy 3500 DRW. First impression was they did a nice job with the front grille and hood beefing it up but didn't continue to the rest of the truck. The square wheel wells we horrible. The interior of the truck was the same old boring Chevy interior. I could not see myself driving a truck that I visually hated so I went to check out Dodge. I don't need to say anymore about that experience. My friend was looking to trade in his 2008 F-450 so I took a ride with him and it was love at first sight. Not with my friend but the new 2011 F-350 that was on the lot. It was visually the nicest looking truck I had seen in years. Loved the new rounded look around the wheel wells, the interior was amazing and had to go for a test drive. After the test drive I was sold. I went back and told the DW of the amazing experience that I just had and she told me "go get us a new Ford. I knew you would never like anything but a Ford" So in short Chevy can win all the head to head competitions it wants. "Just because you put lipstick on a pig doesn't make her pretty. Its still a pig". From my wifes mouth to your ears. Ford, drive one and you will never drive anything else.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Sure is an interesting test, and it does seem fair.

Might have even been a different outcome for me had I seen this prior to ordering a new truck, not having any real loyalties to start with.

The test compared the gear ratios and such. Got me curious and I started calculating the ratios/tires etc with Excel, then thought – Google it.

Here is a neat little program that you can input the two trucks (separately), print the results and compare.

Gear calculator

Interesting, at 1500 RPM the GM is doing 62 MPH and the Ford is at 56 mph.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Not sure why you call it a BS contest - if the results were reversed you'd be trumpeting the "I told ya so's". When the first shoot out took place, Ford supporters were quick to point out the tests were on pre-flash trucks and the tests were too short. So the editors agreed and redid the tests to address these issues. Not only that, they set the criteria for the tests, not GM and overruled GM's initial insistance the tests be conducted on with the 3/4 ton trucks rather than the 1 ton's.

We were all so sure (including the editors) the new tests would validate the Ford as the new King. We were all very very wrong.

Now if you want to put both these trucks in a beauty contest, I am sure Ford would win and then we'd have bragging rights over the GM crowd as to who has the prettier Queen.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
2kmelat
Junior User
So what they made it up a hill a couple minutes fast yaaaaaaa! Goverment Motors. Im glad my hard earnd money didnt go to wast. These test dont mean nothing to me, I wish they would do a real world test, I use my truck like a truck. It see as much mud and back roads as its sees the pavement. just take them into the woods and see how tough they are. in my line of work almost all of the trucks are ford and dodge very few chevys.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by rdenis
Not sure why you call it a BS contest - if the results were reversed you'd be trumpeting the "I told ya so's". When the first shoot out took place, Ford supporters were quick to point out the tests were on pre-flash trucks and the tests were too short. So the editors agreed and redid the tests to address these issues. Not only that, they set the criteria for the tests, not GM and overruled GM's initial insistance the tests be conducted on with the 3/4 ton trucks rather than the 1 ton's.

We were all so sure (including the editors) the new tests would validate the Ford as the new King. We were all very very wrong.

Now if you want to put both these trucks in a beauty contest, I am sure Ford would win and then we'd have bragging rights over the GM crowd as to who has the prettier Queen.
Bingo... It was the Duramax that trumped the Powerstroke. No excuses! Call a spade a spade!

The Duramax must be underated on the power.

I've said here several times not to underestimate the Duramax's power potential.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
those saying the duramax has the most miles and years of use is false. the cummins b series has been around since 1983, it was first used in 1989 in a dodge, they switched to a 4 valve head in '99, the 6.7 is just a larger version of the original 5.9, yeah the injection system has changed a few times along the way, but the current engine isn't changed much since '89, just mainly changes to meet emissions.

with that said dodge is not using urea which means they are behind, and GM should be worried, none of us are having very many problems really at all with these new fords. they are getting great mileage I can't see how GM is better.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
those saying the duramax has the most miles and years of use is false. the cummins b series has been around since 1983, it was first used in 1989 in a dodge, they switched to a 4 valve head in '99, the 6.7 is just a larger version of the original 5.9, yeah the injection system has changed a few times along the way, but the current engine isn't changed much since '89, just mainly changes to meet emissions.

with that said dodge is not using urea which means they are behind, and GM should be worried, none of us are having very many problems really at all with these new fords. they are getting great mileage I can't see how GM is better.
No offense I like alot of things you post...but come on seriously...why on earth are you talking about an engine that is not even used in the trucks that are in the running for all the testing and consumer buying that is currently being discussed...ITS JUST THE SAME NAME. You make a interesting comment though...with cummins being in such a high standard in the prebvious years with its pulling capabilities...why all the sudden is it behind in 3 major aspects...fuel economy..no urea and less power by far than the other two competitors.
Again sorry if I offened but I don't see the resemblance besides the name...if it changes its not the same engine...IMO

Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In the real world, you just don't see the new GM trucks around. Every new 2011 Super Duty I have looked at has been sold in my area but one dealer is eating a 5.4L Raptor. Over July I went window shopping at the local Chevrolet dealer to see what the new trucks looked like. I spied a loaded Duramax, Black is my favorite , and it is still setting on the lot as of last weekend.

One of my pet peeves is the exhaust pipe on the Max, what the heck happened? Looks like an engineer got tired and said screw it after a long hard day. Reminds me of a Blunderbuss wired to the frame...

Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Sheeze: After reading these posts it reminds me of when I was a little kid back in school: We used to argue which team was better at sports,or which athelete was the toughest. It seems to me that GM is desparate to sell a few trucks and is staging these events to pull some of the potential buyers their way. Who ever said that these were "Racing Trucks" anyway. My F250 is the right truck for me. When you spend upwards of 60K for your ride,you better make sure your truck is the right one for you.