6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is GM getting nervous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GM has no reason to be nervous unless they really think they have a shot at becoming the truck of choice. Seems to me that the level of stress is related to the goal that is set.

There will always be GM die hards as much as Ford and Dodge. Just like politics, any more than a 60% majority is unheard of. Human nature.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>*********> <style> st2\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Originally Posted by ruschejj
There will always be GM die hards as much as Ford and Dodge. Just like politics, any more than a 60% majority is unheard of. Human nature.
Just as there will always be those that buy the latest craze and those that will buy what’s suits them best at the time.

I jump into the third category.

I was a Class A line tech for a couple of Dodge dealers for a little over 18 years. Specialized in drive trains and electrical, but also did bumper to bumper. Working for Chrysler dealers came about from my start on cars, always had MOPAR's, thought I always would (my first 4 cars were MOPAR muscle cars).

The first new vehicle I bought when I left the dealers for my current career was a Tahoe.
I was happy to walk away from all my "loyalty" years.

When I went for my new truck in 2006, the Dodge's were ugly and rode like crap. The Ford's were noisy as could be and pricey compared to the GM. And then they had those engine-trans issues..............

So for 2006 it was a loaded GMC, quiet, fair price/value and I had minimal problems with it in the 75000 miles I drove it.

For 2010/11 model year – well I have been following the Scorpion since I first heard about it a few years ago, I really think Ford got it right this time, at least I hope so, ‘cause I got my VIN yesterday.

The Duramax - Allison is a great combo, and except for emission changes, has been the same proven drive train for 10 years.

The Ford is still more costly but now is even quieter then the Duramax, maybe too quiet. I think the Duramax has just the right amount of mechanical noise to let everyone know you don’t have spark plugs.

I’m looking forward to my first Ford “truck” (excluding my wife’s Lincoln). Hoping it lives up to all the hype and drags my 18K toy hauler around with its precious cargo, hopefully around the country in the next few years.

BTW – I worked at two multi franchise dealers when I was a tech, one 5 year stint even sharing the same shop.

The Ford techs were just as busy if not more so then the Dodge techs.

I’m ready – I’ve had my fun over the years poking at the Ram MOPAR – more ordered parts and recalls and the blue oval fix or repair daily etc.

So I’m ready for the lumps

Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I think it's a funny series of videos. Nothing wrong with pointing out your strengths and your competition's weaknesses.

But seriously, what kind of a name is "Allison" for a guy?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its more like they are trying to appeal to teenagers then to the working class that buy there trucks. If they want to go with the longest lasting name? The only thing that stayed the same was the displacement 6.6L they have changed the engine several times. The 5.9L Cummins was the longest lasting motor size 89-07. Now the trannies have changed several times. Duramax is still the new kid on the block always will be the Powerstroke and Cummins motor have been around 10x. BTW I would like to see GMs new truck with the Duramax sitting under the drivers seat and the Allison up front :-p.

Gotta love the new slogan on the Chevy commericals " Chevy runs Deep" into debt, they must run there smear campaigns like there boss in the white house.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM
SuperDoodieDutyDude
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I think it's a funny series of videos. Nothing wrong with pointing out your strengths and your competition's weaknesses.

But seriously, what kind of a name is "Allison" for a guy?
guess that makes him the *itch in the relationship....anyone remember the ace and gary cartoons on saturday night live a few years back? al and max kinda remind me of them.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by jdecker88
Its more like they are trying to appeal to teenagers then to the working class that buy there trucks. If they want to go with the longest lasting name? The only thing that stayed the same was the displacement 6.6L they have changed the engine several times. The 5.9L Cummins was the longest lasting motor size 89-07. Now the trannies have changed several times. Duramax is still the new kid on the block always will be the Powerstroke and Cummins motor have been around 10x. BTW I would like to see GMs new truck with the Duramax sitting under the drivers seat and the Allison up front :-p.

Gotta love the new slogan on the Chevy commericals " Chevy runs Deep" into debt, they must run there smear campaigns like there boss in the white house.
The Cummins 5.9 has evolved several times during it's life span just like the Duramax. The Duramax is the oldest platform in the new trucks... period!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
richfaa
Elder User
I Don't even understand this Ford/GM/ Dodge thing.. They are all pretty much the same, all do a goodb, all have problems. I purchase what best serves my needs regardless of badge. All of their marketing is crap and directed toward a 14 year old.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Best Ad? The episode where "Max" drinks oil.

Think about that...

-Mike

Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by AlexWV
They should be worried, they make fugly trucks man. I'm sorry but those things are horrendous looking. Who comes up with these ideas and why is there a trombone sticking out the **** end of those things, eh?
I don't know, that's completely subjective.

Just three hours ago while I was in a store my wife saw someone look at my 2011 F350 and call it the ugliest thing he's ever seen. Which is fine, I like the way it looks and that's all that matters to me.

I personally like the looks of the GM HD trucks. But Ford makes a better truck, and this is why I continue to buy Ford trucks.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GMC/Chev has always been in the back seat. Remember the "Man Step" ad a few years back. GM pulled it when they realized that it was helping to sell more Fords than Chevys. I notice that there is a profusion of GM heavy duty pickup ads on the tube lately. It tickles me to hear them say " The most powerful we've ever made" instead of "in it's class". That distinction goes to Ford.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Powerstroke and Cummins motor have been around 10x.
Isn't the Scorpion the 4th Power Stroke in 10 years? Thats not really a fair comparsion.

Like it or not, the Duramx is a good combo, as is the CUmmins. But also in fairness, the Cummins is not a "light duty" diesel only. It came from the industrial world and used in everything from boats to garbage trucks to generators etc.

The Duramax BTW also was built around an industrial engine.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by porthole
Isn't the Scorpion the 4th Power Stroke in 10 years? Thats not really a fair comparsion.

Like it or not, the Duramx is a good combo, as is the CUmmins. But also in fairness, the Cummins is not a "light duty" diesel only. It came from the industrial world and used in everything from boats to garbage trucks to generators etc.

The Duramax BTW also was built around an industrial engine.
Very true, but remember that we are driving pickup trucks, not garbage trucks or generators.

I honestly think this is the biggest reason the 6.7L has been such a huge success for Ford. Remember that IH designed previous powerstrokes to go in all of their trucks as well as a Ford pickup truck. This made them very difficult to service in a pickup truck chassis, as well as have lots of emissions related problems due to the engines not being designed to operate under light loading 90% of the time. These were bona fide medium duty engines adapted for light duty use, and that was proven to not be the best idea.

The 6.7L was designed from the ground up to go under the hood of a Ford pickup truck. This allowed them to design it to be serviceable in such a chassis as well as have better driveability due to not having to make compromises to satisfy the needs of medium duty trucks. This engine is designed to power a 7-9,000 lb truck that can see GCWRs of 33,000 lbs. NOT a 25,000 lb truck that can see GCWRs of 50-60,000 lbs as some T444e trucks were specced for.

This is, IMHO, an advantage for the FORD SCORPION engine.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Its more like they are trying to appeal to teenagers .
Kinda like the new graphics and emblems on the Fords? LOL

Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed on the graphics...what were they thinking

Quick Reply: Is GM getting nervous?