1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Deadsquiggles
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Chased all the threaded holes on my GT40 heads and received my non tilt column in the mail. Hopefully get that swapped out this afternoon. Shouldn’t take more than a couple hours, right?

Edit: Got the steering column swapped out

Old 12-23-2019, 05:46 PM
rhythim
Cross-Country
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Santa came a little early and made it a little easier to work on the truck.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,805 Posts
Marry X-Mass everyone

My family was here earlier in the week so today was just the wife and I so spent an hour or 2 in the garage.
The rear tank sender stopped working shortly after I get it on the road so I worked on that toady.

Know what it's like to drop the rear tank even empty?
I checked to make sure the wiring was good by shorting out the wires so knew it was the new sender.
Once out I knew what it was, the float was full of gas.
I did test the sender and it works great.
Swapped float from the old sender, drop unit back in tank and tank back up in place.
I hope it dose not leak once I have fuel in the tank.
Dave ----

Old 12-25-2019, 08:09 PM
mckenziedg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my 38 gallon fuel tank installed, primed the fuel system and now running on two tanks.

Also put in and wired a 7-pin trailer plug.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Mason_811
New User
Not today, but last night is close enough

Ended up getting some new cab lights for christmas, since I had been wanting to install some since I bought the truck. Went with some that are unconventional, doesn't have a replaceable bulb, just has the LEDs made into the light housing. I know I know, but they were cheap and they'll do for now. Just need silicone for the gaskets since the housings don't sit perfectly flush on the roof. Managed to line them up right and the spacing is good.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:18 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
Installed shift *****, and reattached accelerator pedal

Old 12-31-2019, 01:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Took the truck to work for the last time this year. Truck runs great but I am not happy how fast the 16 gallon gas tank gauge moves off full.
Gauge was over full when I left and it is about 60 miles round trip, it is now on half a tank. You can watch it drop as you drive.
The first MPG reading I got on the truck was around 12 MPG, not bad but not great for a straight six.

Last Sunday I installed the head light relay harness and gave a few turns on the head light adjusters to raise them some as they were to low for my liking.
Because I left at 2am, read still dark out, I was able to "test" the head lights and got to say they work pretty good on low and crazy bright!
Anyone thinking of doing the head light relay harness DON'T THINK just do it.
Dave ----

Old 12-31-2019, 04:14 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you got the truck going. I'm like you I don't like the small gas tank.
I'm running a 351W with a 3.70 rear and a AOD trans. It gets about 11 to
12 around town. That's about all I use it for. I also have the headlight relays
and they work great.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Big-Dawg
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Headlight relay harness

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Took the truck to work for the last time this year. Truck runs great but I am not happy how fast the 16 gallon gas tank gauge moves off full.
Gauge was over full when I left and it is about 60 miles round trip, it is now on half a tank. You can watch it drop as you drive.
The first MPG reading I got on the truck was around 12 MPG, not bad but not great for a straight six.

Last Sunday I installed the head light relay harness and gave a few turns on the head light adjusters to raise them some as they were to low for my liking.
Because I left at 2am, read still dark out, I was able to "test" the head lights and got to say they work pretty good on low and crazy bright!
Anyone thinking of doing the head light relay harness DON'T THINK just do it.
Dave ----
FuzzFace2 is this what you’re talking about? This is from LMCTruck.com. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to LED’s but not thrilled with the price and especially the performance of them. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I did the headlight relay about 4 or 5 years back and I've been very happy with it. I also installed one on my grand marquis and it made a big difference on that vehicle as well. Unfortunately I do 80% of my driving at night.

as far as you guys getting 11 to 12 mpg around town. You could be getting 9.5 to 10.5 mpg city like I do. Id be thrilled to get 11-12 city. The hills and stop and go just drain those tanks. Good thing I dont hammer the miles on it like I used to, save quite a bit of gas with the big merc.

Then loads like this really suck gas lol.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:28 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Big-Dawg
FuzzFace2 is this what you’re talking about? This is from LMCTruck.com. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to LED’s but not thrilled with the price and especially the performance of them. Thanks!
Yes that's the one but mine had this bright yellow covers not the black like that one.
That was one of the reasons why it took so long for me to install it, did not want this yellow showing!
I was lucky as I was able to hide the yellow behind the radiator & battery.
If for some reason the harness stops working I can just unplug it and plug the trucks harness back in and have lights again.
Dave ----

Old 01-01-2020, 04:36 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I did the headlight relay about 4 or 5 years back and I've been very happy with it. I also installed one on my grand marquis and it made a big difference on that vehicle as well. Unfortunately I do 80% of my driving at night.

as far as you guys getting 11 to 12 mpg around town. You could be getting 9.5 to 10.5 mpg city like I do. Id be thrilled to get 11-12 city. The hills and stop and go just drain those tanks. Good thing I dont hammer the miles on it like I used to, save quite a bit of gas with the big merc.

Then loads like this really suck gas lol.
I bet them rear springs were crying! LOL

My MPG is with a little 300 six and a T18, only thing is I do have a 19 gallon rear tank I added so between station stops is greater.
When the small tank is empty I can get a better MPG reading as I have been only using it as I had to fix the rear tanks sender.
I will fill both and run numbers again but might by a while as the weather may turn bad and will not be driving the truck muchthen.
Dave ----

Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I bet them rear springs were crying! LOL

My MPG is with a little 300 six and a T18, only thing is I do have a 19 gallon rear tank I added so between station stops is greater.
When the small tank is empty I can get a better MPG reading as I have been only using it as I had to fix the rear tanks sender.
I will fill both and run numbers again but might by a while as the weather may turn bad and will not be driving the truck muchthen.
Dave ----

That was the first time I've ever had enough weight to have the bump stops resting on the axle. I've done 2 yards of topsoil in the past but this stuff was wet. LOTS of extra weight. Good thing it was only a 2 mile drive lol. Drove like a fish. I have dual 19 gallon tanks and I usually fill both full, switch tanks at about 150 miles and usually have 4-5 gallons remaining in each tank. I thought I got crappy MPG until my sister with her Tahoe that's only a few years old told me she barely gets 12 mpg with it. OD trans, lockup converter, fuel injection, and only 12? Screw that. I guess my MPG isn't terrible for what it is. Cost of ownership and insurance is so cheap I could care less anyways.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I put new outside window felt stripes on my truck today. Once I figured out how to get the old ones off

it was easy to fit the new ones. And they really helped the seal on the widows. I got mine from

LMC Truck and they fit fine. The inner ones are still good so I didn't replace them.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 697 Likes on 560 Posts
Replaced the battery recently. Finally got around around to an old trick I was taught years ago. Drive a small sheet metal screw into the top of each battery post. This makes a handy place to clip your meter test leads and will save you a lot of grief:

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?