1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:07 PM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking I screwed up messing with my carburetor mixture screws and cause my engine to overheat pretty bad. Was on a pretty good roll with getting things sorted out on the truck.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:27 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wagoner
Thinking I screwed up messing with my carburetor mixture screws and cause my engine to overheat pretty bad. Was on a pretty good roll with getting things sorted out on the truck.
You shouldn't be able to overheat the engine by changing the idle mixture setting screws. What is telling you it's overheating? Just the dash gauge? Or is there in fact gurgling & bubbling and the radiator is spraying steam?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:46 AM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You shouldn't be able to overheat the engine by changing the idle mixture setting screws. What is telling you it's overheating? Just the dash gauge? Or is there in fact gurgling & bubbling and the radiator is spraying steam?
Fuel air mixture can definitely cause heating issues. If your mixture is lean, the burn will be much hotter, which can cause hot spots on the pistons, and even burn holes in them. This is more common with air cooled engines, such as motorcycles, but it can happen. If it were running lean enough to cause overheating, then there should have been other signs, such as preignition, maybe even cutting out under load.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:05 AM
yarddogg77
Senior User
I was chugging along on my wiring until I ran into a snag. I seem to have lost my oil and water temp connectors with the wires on them. You know, the Red/Wh wire and the Wh/Red wires that hook up to the sensors on the engine. Easy to find replacements, but for giggles, let me show you Autozones listing for one of them.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...-1204/470710_0

Are these guys on crack or what? So I just need to get a few connectors. After that I still have to wire the pigtail for the tail lights, ground everything under the dash, and build a little switch panel for my lights. All else is basically done. I also want to ground my firewall better, working on a few ideas. Since I've replaced the factory fuse box with aftermarket, changed how the power is distributed, and now have a single 6 Gauge power wire feeding the circuits in the cab, I thought I'd like to beef up the firewall ground to match it, worst case scenario type stuff. I might make a build thread and write up on my truck someday. Too many mods.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Originally Posted by yarddogg77
Fuel air mixture can definitely cause heating issues. If your mixture is lean, the burn will be much hotter, which can cause hot spots on the pistons, and even burn holes in them. This is more common with air cooled engines, such as motorcycles, but it can happen. If it were running lean enough to cause overheating, then there should have been other signs, such as preignition, maybe even cutting out under load.
I do feel that is right, if I got it lean enough to cause major overheating, I doubt I would have had any sort of power to make it down the highway or back. Going to investigate the cooling system. Hate coincidences...

Old 10-28-2019, 01:48 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,805 Posts
The OP said he messed with the IDLE MIX this will not cause the an over heating issue.
Now if a main jet was plugged then it could run lean at speed.
So what he did would not cause the over heating.

You know you have a little radiator to help get you a little farther for help or home.
Turn the heater on full hot and max fan, this will pull some heat out.
Dave ----

Old 10-28-2019, 02:14 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
The idle mix adjusts fuel air. Not sure if there is a main jet or secondary jet in these carbs.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
The idle mix adjusts fuel air. Not sure if there is a main jet or secondary jet in these carbs.
As far as I know all carbs have a main / secondary (high speed) jet. Depending on the carb / size it can have 1 to 4 idle mix screws.
Idle mix only does the idle side below 700 rpm
Some carbs have a power valve this is a helper between idle & high speed.
Main jet(s) deal with high speed also known as higher flow. Depending on the carb / size it can have 1 to 4 jets.
Dave ----

Old 10-28-2019, 08:29 PM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
So while I learned a lot about carbs from the manual (Edelbrock 1406 600CFM), I had some other failure that happen to coincide with after messing with the carburetor. Got a thread going on my findings. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...le-screws.html

Old 10-29-2019, 05:22 PM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
As far as I know all carbs have a main / secondary (high speed) jet. Depending on the carb / size it can have 1 to 4 idle mix screws.
Idle mix only does the idle side below 700 rpm
Some carbs have a power valve this is a helper between idle & high speed.
Main jet(s) deal with high speed also known as higher flow. Depending on the carb / size it can have 1 to 4 jets.
Dave ----
I know all this, I can sync and tune carbs with the best of them. Like I said, fuel air mixture is more of an issue on air cooled engines. I was only stating, I don't know much about THESE carbs. Some carbs are affected by the Fuel air mixture screw throughout the range, some do not have secondary jets, only the idle screw and a main jet. Some have emulsion tubes, some do not. Etc..

Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Onions.n.Butter
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put my winter wheels/tires on! I like how just a set of wheels and tires can completely change how a vehicle looks

Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ordered window crank handles and hardware as my truck was missing the hardware and the handles broken & painted over.
I also ordered new rear brake cables as the ones I have now (new) I think are the wrong ones because I cant get the park brake to adjust.
Dave -----

Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
looking at what I can use to flush my radiator and heater core I replaced a couple years ago out. Don't want to run the engine want to flush it out before I hook the hoses up to the new engine. Im thinking simple green or purple power but not sure how long I should let it sit before I flush it out of the radiator and heater core so it doesn't eat up the copper.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:35 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Onions.n.Butter
Put my winter wheels/tires on! I like how just a set of wheels and tires can completely change how a vehicle looks

The wheels and tires look good. Original and ready to go!

Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM
yarddogg77
Senior User
Well I'm screwed. I just got the call for shoulder surgery, it's on Monday. I'm just a little too far from getting the Ford on the rode. I could get the wiring done, but I still need to fab a couple small things and am out of time. I will probably get the ignition and coil finished so I can at least go out and start it a few times over the winter, the rest of the wiring is mostly done, but I haven't put the fuses in for the circuits yet.

Bummer, I'm hoping for a speedy recovery so I can get back to work. The good news is, I was able to get a good deal on a 2001 Durango, so I might have a little fun in the snow this year. If my shoulder heals up quick enough, maybe I can finish the little things I have left and get the Ford out in the snow. But it's looking like for the next few months I will be laying on my *** trying to stay sane from too much Hulu and Netflix. AARGHHHH!

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?