1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 03:44 PM
rhythim
Cross-Country
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Love that "patina"! Leave it as is!
I'm with you, but the hood is mostly primer and deep scrapes. It's bad. Rest of the truck will be fine, and I ain't gonna paint it. it's so beat up it would take an eternity to get all the little dents hammered/dollied out, so for me it'll be fine as-is. It's just an honest old Georgia farm truck. Would have probably been the nicest truck on the farm because it's COMPLETELY loaded, option-wise, but still shows lots of honest wear on the body. No rust to speak of, it's just dinged up well.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,172 Likes on 1,844 Posts
Mine was just the other way a stripped model farm truck and beat all to he11 It took 4 years to rebuild it to what it is today.
I still like the color even with the dents and primer LOL
Dave ----

Old 07-10-2020, 05:03 AM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I finally had a little time to wrench on the old girl. She needs some new front wheel bearings and all new front bushings. Got one wheel off and found more she needs. The rubber brake lines are all dry rotted. Then I discovered the radius arm nut is truly massive and I don’t have a socket big enough or a good impact... I’ll have to get myself a new electric impact. In the mean time I’ll be taking the easy way out and having a shop take care of it all. It’s hard enough working on it with 3 littles around. So, I threw the wheel back on and spent the day with them. I’ll be working on the interior once it’s back from the shop and focus on my 71 F-100 I’m trying to get back on the road. I need the 85 too often for hauling junk to have it sidelined.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:53 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally got around to ordering a puller to take the balancer off my donor motor! Took all of 5 minutes to get that off and the last bolts for the timing chain cover. Haven't worked on it since late last year. Getting my work space set back up to continue the tear down and get the block machined. Hoping it passes a magnaflux test.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:38 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Monday I worked on the AC system and it did blow cool air but not cold.
After some help from members I was able to finish charging the system today and it blows cold.
On the test drive I had to kick the fan back to the middle setting.

Good thing as the front fan up front where I am on my Durango stopped working this morning so no AC up front.
Dave ----

Old 08-02-2020, 11:30 AM
jthuston
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the entire wiring harness for the feedback carburetor. I know everyone and their aunt Tillie just hacks all that off, but truth be told, my truck has always ran well until the harness started to crumble ( the shop I bought my truck from regularly hosed down the engine bay with a pressure washer; that harness wiring was as green as the statue of liberty). I also replaced the disintegrating washer fluid tank and swapped out the swiss cheese bumper for one in much nicer condition.

James Huston

Old 08-03-2020, 08:59 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Good for you, jthuston! Keep it original as long as you can. When working, the feedback system for the six cylinder [is that what you have?] delivers good performance and excellent fuel mileage.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:14 PM
jthuston
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Good for you, jthuston! Keep it original as long as you can. When working, the feedback system for the six cylinder [is that what you have?] delivers good performance and excellent fuel mileage.

It is the 4.9l straight six. My truck was purchased from my work almost fifteen years ago after having been worked really, really hard. There are rust issues, and a nation of dents, but I'm happy to say that as of the other day, everything on that truck functions as Ford intended. The six cylinder definitely punches above its weight.
-James Huston

Old 08-06-2020, 06:40 PM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tired of the oil leaking from my valve covers on to the exhaust filling the engine bay with smoke. Worse thing is I have a hole that isn't covered with a grommet in the firewall so the smell makes it way in.

Today I worked on the offending passenger side cover. I swapped the gray colored original (possibly?) and replaced it with a ford blue original off of my donor motor. Great thing is now I have an emission sticker saying non catalyst haha. Matches the straight exhaust (well there is a muffler) "system". Used new gasket of course.

Will get the other side tomorrow since the heat has having me sweat bullets. Ripped the plug end off one of the spark plug wires so need to get a replacement anyhow.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 214 Likes on 161 Posts
Didn't do it today, actually took the month of July to do the work. It happens when you don't have time to work on your own stuff..
I did complete front brake job, replaced rotors, pads, calipers, rubber and hard lines. New front shocks as well and new premium warn lockouts.
Some of the delay was waiting on parts to be shipped.. Had everything ordered ahead of time but the the one lockout bolts seized.
Than I noticed the studs were looking a little worse for wear so I ordered new of those as well as new lugnuts.
A week wait on the lockouts, didn't do much while waiting and than another week on the studs.
Than cheap raybestos rubber hose made in china stripped on me x2. So I had to go buy more rubber brake hose. Thankfully local parts store had those in stock and cost me double for the one.
Funny thing about the hose, parts store had the same exact "brand" hose raybestos uses (actually made by sunsong) parts stores hose was made in thailand while raybestos was made in China.
I thought it was my fault for stripping the first one, so I was paying attention on the 2nd one and it still stripped as well.
The thailand made hose worked with no problems.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:08 PM
rhythim
Cross-Country
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I hauled home the bucket-list item for the shop, which I installed today. Happiness is a 72 degree shop on a 92 degree day.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:36 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
One day I hope to do the same but I need to insulate the garage first and I am sure just that would make a big difference as I can feel the heat come from the roof when the sun beats down on it.
Also looks like the garage is set up pretty nicely too.
Dave ----

Old 08-09-2020, 02:45 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I washed the truck today. That is all.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Matthew!!!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:01 PM
jthuston
Junior User
I popped the hood and pointed out what my wife needed to do to mount a headlight wiring harness upgrade, then handed her the tools ( she's been wanting to gain more experience working with her hands). I did pull the battery to install the relays on the inner fender, though.

-James Huston

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?