Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Senior User

whporwil is starting off with a positive reputation.
External transmission filter

Why do some automatic trucks have one and some don't? Has anyone found a quality filter that doeesn't cost the $179.00 that ford wants?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Not long after the start of 2008 production Ford eliminated the external filter in favor of a real internal filter. The older internal filter was only designed to stop large chunks. The new internal filter is a better filter than the external filter was, and it filters 100% of the fluid. The external filter, best case, was less than 10%.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior User

jrc55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Not long after the start of 2008 production Ford eliminated the external filter in favor of a real internal filter. The older internal filter was only designed to stop large chunks. The new internal filter is a better filter than the external filter was, and it filters 100% of the fluid. The external filter, best case, was less than 10%.
Is this new filter what comes if you buy a new one at Ford?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior User

ssharber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ssharber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you buy the wrong filter it wont fit. Early production Job 1's had a different internal filter along with the external filter. If you buy the filter designed for the newer models that dont have the external filter it WILL NOT work as the transmission pan is different. Amazon sells the external Motorcraft filter, Part # FT-176 with free shipping AND no tax, for 85.00. I ordered mine there and it is the EXACT same external Motorcraft filter you will buy from the parts counter. Here is the link Amazon.com: Motorcraft FT-176

'08 CC Lariat Job#1
Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior User

Thanks for that infromation. I did find the Motorcraft fuel filters (the old style) on Ebay and my oil filters come from Wal Mart. The good news is while my truck was getting this work done it decided to pee on there floor. My first radiator comes at 30,000 miles
Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior User

2x6 bulldog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharber View Post
If you buy the wrong filter it wont fit. Early production Job 1's had a different internal filter along with the external filter. If you buy the filter designed for the newer models that dont have the external filter it WILL NOT work as the transmission pan is different. Amazon sells the external Motorcraft filter, Part # FT-176 with free shipping AND no tax, for 85.00. I ordered mine there and it is the EXACT same external Motorcraft filter you will buy from the parts counter. Here is the link Amazon.com: Motorcraft FT-176

Thanks for the info. Good price. I ordered one.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Freshman User

thw420 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I noticed with the 2011+ Super Duties, Ford has gone back to the external filter with a very non-restrictive filter inside the transmission as well (similar to the 2008 Job 1 filtering system). I recall the engineers saying something about doing it this way to avoid starving the transmission of fluid with a restrictive filter when the transmission is under severe duty, needing a higher flow rate.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I've never seen the 2011 trans. They were just getting the first prototype parts when I left Ford in 2007.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior User

Just got back from my dealer and they gave me a break on the filter only charging me $134.00. All toll with new fluid and labor it cost me $452 and change. ouch!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
My dealer says 215 (labor and fluids) +95 (external filter)..

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Elder User

Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Keep an eye on Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site | Personalized Owner Information | FLMowner.com. I keep my service records there and they offer coupons for serveral dollars off. Back in June they had a coupon for a transmission fluid change and filter, not flush, for $199. I had it done, I could tell some differerence. I had to laugh as my 08 is an early Job 1 and had the external tranny filter. According to the coupon it included filter change, so they had to change that also being the external filter.....The service manager was pretty good about it, he said "well we win some and then we lose some".
2011 F-250 Lariat Stock
2003 Keystone Cougar 286 EFS 5er
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
just saw a 20% off coupon on the flmowner.com site for scheduled maint (thru 8/14), so am having the tranny filter changed & fluid flush today as well as the 60,000 mile oil change.

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Elder User

Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
just saw a 20% off coupon on the flmowner.com site for scheduled maint (thru 8/14), so am having the tranny filter changed & fluif flush today as well as the 60,000 mile oil change.

Sam
There you go! 20% is a pretty good savings.
2011 F-250 Lariat Stock
2003 Keystone Cougar 286 EFS 5er
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 2008, 64, diesel, external, f250, filter, ford, ft176, job, motorcraft, powerstroke, transmission, transmisson, truck