6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Heat Induction Flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Heat Induction Flash

Here's an interesting one...driving from San Antonio to Salt Lake City and I lose my right front wheel bearing. Have truck towed to nearest Ford Dealer (Dove Creek, CO) to replace the hub. While there I asked them to install the Heat Induction Flash so it wouldn't run like crap in the mornings. After the update was installed, I wasn't a couple miles down the road and the tranny starts to "slip" between 3/4 and 4/5. I'm thinking it's the damned Edge acting up so I pull over and remove it replacing the factory harness at the PCM. Driving along...Air Conditioning stops blowing cold air. Stop and reconnect Edge Programmer and AC starts working again (Now I'm getting irritated!). In Moab, UT at a light, truck gets stuck in 2nd gear, so I turn around and head to Moab Ford. I disconnected the Edge and they check for codes...none found. Tech drives the truck with the computer on it and it's slipping as I promised. As he pulls back into dealership, it's stuck in 5th. Shuts truck off now we're back in 1st. I decide screw it...I'm going to SLC and I'll back pedal between 3/4. As I'm driving through town I notice the Tow/Haul light is flashing on and off. I just disconnected the batteries for about 30 min, reconnected the Edge and it's the same thing. Gets stuck in odd gears (sometimes 4th, sometimes 5th), put it in Neutral and it goes back to 1st, then jumps up to the gear it was stuck in, then back to 2nd and of course slips between 3/4. Moab Ford thinks it's the TR Sensor in Tranny...I say it's whatever the idiot did in Dove Creek with the upgrade. I went to offload it today and the Sales Mgr. was nervous thinking the tranny was shot....it's 6 mos. old on a rebuild with a heavy duty torque converter and 30,000 miles. Any thoughts? I should also add that it's currently showing (Per Edge Programmer) a P0603 - PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error. The dealer that's afraid of it is in Provo, UT. They are going to run diagnostics on it Friday Morning.

Last edited by uofmgriz; 07-08-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 PM
1957F100
Elder User
Originally Posted by uofmgriz
Here's an interesting one...driving from San Antonio to Salt Lake City and I lose my right front wheel bearing. Have truck towed to nearest Ford Dealer (Dove Creek, CO) to replace the hub. While there I asked them to install the Heat Induction Flash so it wouldn't run like crap in the mornings. After the update was installed, I wasn't a couple miles down the road and the tranny starts to "slip" between 3/4 and 4/5. I'm thinking it's the damned Edge acting up so I pull over and remove it replacing the factory harness at the PCM. Driving along...Air Conditioning stops blowing cold air. Stop and reconnect Edge Programmer and AC starts working again (Now I'm getting irritated!). In Moab, UT at a light, truck gets stuck in 2nd gear, so I turn around and head to Moab Ford. I disconnected the Edge and they check for codes...none found. Tech drives the truck with the computer on it and it's slipping as I promised. As he pulls back into dealership, it's stuck in 5th. Shuts truck off now we're back in 1st. I decide screw it...I'm going to SLC and I'll back pedal between 3/4. As I'm driving through town I notice the Tow/Haul light is flashing on and off. I just disconnected the batteries for about 30 min, reconnected the Edge and it's the same thing. Gets stuck in odd gears (sometimes 4th, sometimes 5th), put it in Neutral and it goes back to 1st, then jumps up to the gear it was stuck in, then back to 2nd and of course slips between 3/4. Moab Ford thinks it's the TR Sensor in Tranny...I say it's whatever the idiot did in Dove Creek with the upgrade. I went to offload it today and the Sales Mgr. was nervous thinking the tranny was shot....it's 6 mos. old on a rebuild with a heavy duty torque converter and 30,000 miles. Any thoughts? I should also add that it's currently showing (Per Edge Programmer) a P0603 - PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error. The dealer that's afraid of it is in Provo, UT. They are going to run diagnostics on it Friday Morning.
P0603 - PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error is nothing to worry about. It is just from disconnecting the batteries.

Probably not what you want to hear right now but i havnt heard good things about edge tuners and trannys...other than that heres a bump for ya

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
I know the Edge is crap...after all...look at my signature. I only reinstalled it so I could have air conditioning *LOL*

Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Did you have it returned to stock programming before the heat induction flash was applied?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
Did you have it returned to stock programming before the heat induction flash was applied?
At first the mech didn't, until I went out into the garage and told him that he needed to make sure it was set up factory for the flash. I figure that his first attempts at it (I think he tried 2 times) the worst damage that he could've done was affect the Edge Programmer (that would be fine by me!).

Looking to trade it off for an '05 with 59,000 miles (providing Oasis is good), but the Sales Mgr is afraid of my truck, thinks the tranny is toast, I asked him how he figures the transmission got shot after an updated flash was installed on the computer. Then they think it may be the TR Sensor...again...why didn't it fail prior to the flash?? They keep talking in circles and it's starting to get under my skin

Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like possibly a corrupted programming job. Try having the dealer reflash with the Edge completely removed. Also, just to be certain everything resets, disconnect the batteries for about 15mins before the flash. If it drives correctly afterwards, throw the Edge in the garbage and trade the truck in

Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
tried the battery thing last night, had them disconnected for about an hour hoping that would cure the problem. If I keep the truck, the Edge will definately get yanked out of it (ironically working just down the road from Ogden...might "personally" redeliver it to them!), if I trade the truck in....it's someone else's headache...I go back to the shop tomorrow...I'll make sure the batteries get disconnected prior to the reflash.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It would be ashame to dump it on someone else if it can be remedied. I know I wouldn't like it and niether would you.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
It would be ashame to dump it on someone else if it can be remedied. I know I wouldn't like it and niether would you.
so true...

Old 07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
uofmgriz
Senior User
OK...at the Ford dealership here in SLC...they disconnected the batteries and reflashed the computer...situation got worse. When I test drove it it got stuck in 4th, had to put it in Neutral, then when it went down to 1st I got the sporadic 1-4-2-3 shifting...that was a lot of fun. Finally the tranny expert pulled the codes and told me there were no slipping codes, but show to have a possibly bad Direct Clutch Solenoid. This is just killing me....wish I could go back to Tuesday and re-live that day over!!