1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

332 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
302VAN
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 332 Code

check engine lite comes on and off
i used my cp9145 scan tool i came up 332 insufficient egr flow
but there is vacum going to egr valve
what could it be bad egr vale
this is on a 1990 ford e-150 van 5.0l 302eng

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
ydaveitsu
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code 332

This code translates to EGR valve opening not detected. If you have vacume to the EGR at the wrong time it would open the valve and you would have a rough idle at idle speed. If you have vacume at the valve when your suppose to and the valve doesn't open, then you might have a bad EGR valve. The way to test this is to put a vacume pump (hand unit) to the vacume port on the EGR and see if the valve opens. If it doesn't the diaphram in the unit is damaged. Some times you can see the EGR shaft within the ERG move when applying the vacume. If you can't see the shaft. Start the motor and connect your vacume pump and see if you can create vacume. If you can the valve will open and you'll have a rough idle. Release the vacume and the motor will return to normal. Also one other thing, These EGR's are prone to carboning up in the passage ways. I have seen this cause a code. Hope this helps, Dave

Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
302VAN
Freshman User
Question

Originally Posted by ydaveitsu
This code translates to EGR valve opening not detected. If you have vacume to the EGR at the wrong time it would open the valve and you would have a rough idle at idle speed. If you have vacume at the valve when your suppose to and the valve doesn't open, then you might have a bad EGR valve. The way to test this is to put a vacume pump (hand unit) to the vacume port on the EGR and see if the valve opens. If it doesn't the diaphram in the unit is damaged. Some times you can see the EGR shaft within the ERG move when applying the vacume. If you can't see the shaft. Start the motor and connect your vacume pump and see if you can create vacume. If you can the valve will open and you'll have a rough idle. Release the vacume and the motor will return to normal. Also one other thing, These EGR's are prone to carboning up in the passage ways. I have seen this cause a code. Hope this helps, Dave
there is vacuum present the shaft moves up and down
it looks good to me tomorow i will drive and see if the problem is still there
then i will hook up my cp9145 scan tool and see what is there
and i cleaned it out to

Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM
302VAN
Freshman User
332 Code

Originally Posted by ydaveitsu

it looks good to me tomorow i will drive and see if the problem is still there
then i will hook up my cp9145 scan tool and see what is there
and i cleaned it out to

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 AM
302VAN
Freshman User
332code

i drove it today and the light keeps coming on and off
i still get the 332 code EGR shaft opens and the EGR position sensorhas bin on ther for
one or two years

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought 332 was thermactor system inoperative right side. This is NOT the egr system. My '92 had this code from the day I got it, but it never affected mileage or performance.
The place to start is on the drivers side valve cover behind the ignition coil. There are three solenoids there. The round one is the EGR solenoid, the two square ones are the bypass valves for the A.I.R. (thermactor) system.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
302VAN
Freshman User
332 Code

the shaft moves up and down
i took it a part & cleaned it out i drove it to day and the light still
goes on and off that erg solenoid was replaced one year a go
there is vacuum present this 332 code that says in book
insufficient egr flow detected

Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like the egr position sensor is going bad. If you use a non dealer part here it gets dicey, a lot of times the shaft (the pin that the EGR moves in the sensor) is either too long, or too short. This causes this code. You might try a new sensor, but stay away from the cheapo box parts stores for this one. I'd use a napa, carquest or dealer part only.

I might have been thinking of the 331 code... It's been a few years since I owned that van, several since I drove it.