Sponsored by: DP Tuner

what's this box? in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 PM
jfloyd7.3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's this box? in my truck

So when I bought my 2001 ccsb 4x4 f250 7.3 it had a small box beside the steering wheel with a on/off switch & 6 position turn dial it has two wires coming off it black wire grounded under the dash and a red (+) wire that is cut, with no sign of where it use to go. I thought it was a tuner put have since pulled the pcm and it still has the silicone on the plug that all the tuners use. And the guy I bought the truck from had no idea what it was either he did say that the guy he got it from did at one point have an exhaust brake on it I was wondering if it has anything to do with that? Any other ideas?

There's also a red LED beside the box

Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
RedNNBlue
Tuned
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
A six position rotary switch like that is very typical of the Banks 6 Gun Tuner, but could also be used with other tuners, depending on how many tunes a chip might have had programmed. So your initial assumption sounds right.

Based on your description of the PCM though, it just raises more questions. Did the PCM actually have silicone on the terminals? Could it have been dilectric grease? The original protective coating on the boards isn't silicone, unless I'm mistaken. It's a much firmer, and yellowish coating, almost like an epoxy. If it was anything other than the original coating, I would still suspect it was from a tuner that was since removed, but should have had more than just 2 wires coming from the back; more like 7 or 8.

There's also a possibility that it's a 6 position rheostat, and that would explain why it only has the 2 wires. In that case, it could have gone to lights or anything else that would use a dimmer type switch. It looks like the box is a small electronics hobby box, like from Radio Shack, and not even mounted level with the lines of the dash board. I would be weary of anything installed like that.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:34 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The red led could be an indicator to tell u if the glow plugs are energized. Can u trace wires from it ? The led mod is very common here. I did it to my truck years ago

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is it used to be a variation of the old 10k resistor mod with a bunch of different resistors connected to the switch.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RedNNBlue
The original protective coating on the boards isn't silicone, unless I'm mistaken.
You are mistaken. It's been called a silicone coating for as long as I've been on the forum.

To the OP, since it's disconnected, I'd remove the thing.

Stewart

Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 PM
jfloyd7.3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedNNblue you are right the coating on the board is a hard yellowish substance like epoxy. I help my buddy put a dp tuner in his 03 7.3 and his looked just like mine.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jfloyd7.3
RedNNblue you are right the coating on the board is a hard yellowish substance like epoxy. I help my buddy put a dp tuner in his 03 7.3 and his looked just like mine.
That's the silicone coating we're referring to.

Stewart

Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 AM
DaveP.
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Perhaps the ECM that was used with that device was removed too and replaced with a "stock" ECM? That would explain the production coating still being on the board-edge connector.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why keep speculating? The thing isn't connected, so open it up and see what's in it . . .

Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,473 Likes on 2,857 Posts
Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 PM
RedNNBlue
Tuned
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You are mistaken. It's been called a silicone coating for as long as I've been on the forum.

To the OP, since it's disconnected, I'd remove the thing.

Stewart
We get it, and thanks for quoting me out of context. I understand its been called silicone. Just because it's been called that, doesn't mean that it actually is. Silicone, by definition, is resinous and rubbery. The coating on the boards is not. Therefore, it may be commonly referred to as silicone, but chemically speaking, it doesn't have the properties of true silicone. But whatever. Thanks for clarifying that I'm mistaken.

For the OP: I hope you figure out what it was for, just to satisfy your curiosity if nothing else.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RedNNBlue
We get it
We? Who is "we?" And what is being gotten?

and thanks for quoting me out of context.
If I did, then it's because I misunderstood. If I did misunderstand, apologies. It isn't the first time, and I can guarantee it won't the the last time I read a post wrong.

I understand its been called silicone. Just because it's been called that, doesn't mean that it actually is.
Yes, I know, that's why I qualified my statement by saying that the coating has always been referred to as a silicone coating, not that is was made of silicone, that way it was clear to the OP he still had the original coating.

Silicone, by definition, is resinous and rubbery. The coating on the boards is not. Therefore, it may be commonly referred to as silicone, but chemically speaking, it doesn't have the properties of true silicone.
I never claimed it was silicone, but here is where I think I got confused.

I thought you were asking for the identifying nomenclature for what the coating is called, not asking if it was literally the same chemical compound as silicone.

Before I posted what I thought was the answer to your question, I double checked DP Tuners install page to make sure I wasn't remembering the terminology wrong.

I had good intentions. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Stewart