1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ordering Parts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordering Parts....

I am so tired of ordering parts from a supplier and then finding they finally ship them 5 days later, when I even go as far as to confirm the part is in stock. I'm done with that particular vendor. I could have ordered the same part from CPP or Summit or Jegs or any other number of suppliers for less money and had it at my door by now. Lots of places to buy parts...
Don

Old 02-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Jim and Austin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking today how lucky we have been to receive parts , and we have ordered a lot of them, with such good service. My hat is off to Midwest Early Ford, Dennis Carpenter, Macs, and LMC, and our local NAPA store.
It can be a frustrating event standing by waiting and waiting for delivery. In addition to that the freight bills are not cheap. I hope you have the opportunity to discuss this with management and not just a counter person. Unfortunately in 2016 SERVICE seems to have a less significant meaning. Seems no one has any sense of urgency.

Management does need to be made aware of your situation, you can not manage a situation that you are not aware of, I suspect you have done so already and that is why you are writing them off. If the vender has a web page perhaps a few others can contact the vender online and let them know that others, that have similar parts requirements, are concerned and unsure whether to do business with this company.

We will all be hurting if the parts suppliers take the attitude of Power Companies, Phone Companies, and Cable and Satellite TV Companies have demonstrated over the past few years.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Hope you have better luck with CPP if you order anything from them, the vendor I deal with here in Canada just finally got the one part I was waiting for so the order could be completed after 5 -1/2 weeks and I've ordered from them directly before and it makes no difference.. I hear you and feel your pain, haven't been able to do anything since the middle of December..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I keep going back to the ones who ship it quickly, the ones that wait around without letting me know don't get a second chance...
Then there is the one that I ordered from Steele Rubber Products and got on one of my really busy work days. I put them away and totally forgot. 4 months later I ordered them again after chewing somebody out for losing my order... I did find the original a few days later and called back to apologize. Now I have two of the same order.
I was going through all the parts that I have and organizing the other day and I found THREE sets of the special hinge bolts for an F1. Not only do I not need 3 sets, I don't even need one since I reversed my hood and eliminated the hinges!!
Anyone who needs a set of the four bolts (Dennis Carpenter, in the bag) let me know and I will send a bag to you. Only have 3

Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
fabieber
Senior User
I have had really good luck with Mac's, nearly good luck with Sacramento Vintage Ford and, believe it or not, great luck in availability and pricing at a nearby NAPA store. What I get from NAPA that I don't get from the other vendors is the knowledge of guys who work on cars, have rebuilt cars and have an intense desire (as well as profit motive) to get me the parts and information I need. Don't overlook NAPA. If they have what you need you will likely get it on the same day.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
NAPA seems to still have "it", some technical expertise and a decent parts lookup system. The other places, well, dumb looks are still free I guess.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 PM
AcesHigh
Junior User
Don Vito, I feel your pain on that particular supplier. After getting used to waiting the 5 day waiting period several times (even though their own website says they normally ship within 48 hours) I gave them a test. On their online checkout they have a box to check for rush service. It costs 20 bucks, but it ships same day. I gave it a shot, and of course, it did. I immediately realized that if I wanted a quality level of customer service, I had to bribe someone for it. Combine that with an item that's been out of stock for 6 months that they've had my money for and no projection of a ship date in the near future, and you have a company that'll never see another dollar from me.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 AM
DougofMontana
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
When starting my build, I wanted to keep as much money as possible in the small town of 800 where I live. Tried using NAPA and the minute I mentioned "conversion" / "custom" the blank stares immediately clicked on and I was referred to Summit or CPP or JEGS. Sheesh, they even pointed me a different direction when I wanted just a plain Jane 302 rebuild kit. Go figure

Old 02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Vito
I am so tired of ordering parts from a supplier and then finding they finally ship them 5 days later, when I even go as far as to confirm the part is in stock. I'm done with that particular vendor. I could have ordered the same part from CPP or Summit or Jegs or any other number of suppliers for less money and had it at my door by now. Lots of places to buy parts...
Don
No one is actually stating WHO the vendor is but I think we all know which. It is probably the same vendor that sent me several thousand dollars worth of stuff that was supposed to go to some poor sap in Michigan when all I ordered was maybe $40 worth of things. You can only imagine my eyes when several massive boxes arrived on my doorstep full of CHROME! The angel on my shoulder made me send it back. Damn angel.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ I know who I'd throw rocks at. Everything else about the biz is great, in my book, but the shipping lag is atrocious.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm lucky, I'm real close to the Summit Racing Ohio warehouse. If I place an order today at noon, it will be on my door step at 9am the next morning with the free shipping. I have no idea how they do it. Must have lots of elves there .

Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas+
I'm lucky, I'm real close to the Summit Racing Ohio warehouse. If I place an order today at noon, it will be on my door step at 9am the next morning with the free shipping. I have no idea how they do it. Must have lots of elves there .
I live in San Diego and get the same service...Summit has a warehouse in Reno which is where most of my orders originate.
I order many parts from Amazon with my Prime membership. San Diego is one of those markets where many orders are delivered "same day". Most have next day service at no charge. At one time I didn't care about 10 day shipping...but now I am spoiled and loving it!