1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 tuner..lets beat a dead horse!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Fellenz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 tuner..lets beat a dead horse!

Hey all, before I start...I already hear everyone saying SCT, tell me why!

My number one priority is the gauges, after that some (safe) power is always fun. Aside from deleting the EGR and exhaust, I plan to keep my truck fairly stock unless someone convinces me otherwise on specific upgrades.

I've read lots of flack about bullydog tuners, but also read on their website how they now can do custom tunes, work with trans. And all the other good stuff now. Thoughts?,most info I got was dated a couple years ago, and tech changes.

If I can swing it, Id eventually look at the SCT TS tuner as it seems to be "the one", what about the Bullydog as previously mentioned, or Edge Evolution?

Like I said, gauges and info is top priority, and any power gains need to be safe as I don't really want to be doing gaskets and transmission in a year.

Learn me!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run an Edge CTS & absolutely love it
Started out w/a Edge CS but recently upgraded to the CTS due to larger touch-screen, in total I've been running an Edge Tuner for 3.5 years without an issue. I only use the # 2 & 3 power level settings, transmission settings are adjustable (which i love) we do pull a 5th-Wheel & I've never had an issue, even though Iam still running the dreaded OE Head-Bolts....

* I also bought the Custom Mounting Pod, Exhaust Probe & Fuel Pressure Kit from Edge

Last edited by King-bRanch; 04-14-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added a Pic
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The big thing to look at is the Who is writing the tunes.
Do it wrong and you can kill a 5R110W with bad shift
timing. I use a SCT with tunes by Matt at >>> Gearhead Automotive Performance

[/COLOR][/B]

Old 04-15-2015, 05:40 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
I run an Edge CTS & absolutely love it
Started out w/a Edge CS but recently upgraded to the CTS due to larger touch-screen, in total I've been running an Edge Tuner for 3.5 years without an issue. I only use the # 2 & 3 power level settings, transmission settings are adjustable (which i love) we do pull a 5th-Wheel & I've never had an issue, even though Iam still running the dreaded OE Head-Bolts....

* I also bought the Custom Mounting Pod, Exhaust Probe & Fuel Pressure Kit from Edge

I as well Run a SCT and a Edge CTS. Wish I had pictures of my set up but I have a 3 pillar mount with a trans gauge, boost and then a pod holder for the CTS in the lower hole. The CTS is the bomb its big and tells you so much info. I recently bought the X4 SCT brand new off ebay for 300$. Man I wish I did this day one. Im running the Street tune right now which works good but I will be getting a custom tune shortly. Made a huge MPG improvement for me

Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Apparently the guy who runs Power Hungry Performance used to work for Edge, and might have had a hand in the programing at some point. His stuff for the 6.0 is excellent, that's where the Atlas FICM tuning came from. Edge has a bad reputation as a trans-killer, but that was specifically the Attitude with Juice chipset that led to the problems. The Evo series is fine, it just lacks customization. Bully Dog, the Banks 6-gun, and Superchips seemed to be part of a lot of the early 6.0 issues, so they fell out of favor. Why revisit what didn't work when the SCT is right there for a good price and is customizable?

What led SCT to being "the one" was that its tuning is customizable and there are a short list of tune writers who have loyal followings.

I run an Insight CTS as gauges over an SCT 3015 tuner. x2 on Gearheads

Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Fellenz
Senior User
I'm very tempted in the Edge Evolution right now as its a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the SCT live wire, and I just don't see the extra worth for me. I'm sure its there...its just what I'm going to take advantage of.
I also like how the evolution molds into the dash instead of a pod. I just don't like the look of having and iPod looking devise suction cupped to the windshield. I know its trivial but hey...you look at it a lot.

So, is there Any reason I shouldn't get the Edge Evolution?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
One reason: I'm paranoid and don't leave things in my truck usually. If my Insight grows legs and jumps out a shattered window, ultimately I'm out the gauge setup. If it's an Evo I'm out the cost of re-baselining the tuning in the truck if I ever want to change the tuning again. My SCT 3015 is NOT a gauge setup, that means my tuner is always safe back home and I'm only out an OBDII monitor.

It's not a trivial cost, a few hundred bucks for the FICM tune and PCM rollback w/ EGR turned off, it's worth covering that investment. But then again, I'm so paranoid I have a lock cover for the OBDII port so the dealer/state inspection can't screw with my PCM. Tuning costs money; unlocking devices costs money if a dealer flashes you to stock, and it costs money to get flashed to stock if a tuner gets stolen.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Also I would like to point out that if what ever you get gives
you the option of storing a backup on your computer.
DO IT
It can save you money if for some reason your units does go MIA.

My programer unit stays at home also. AND I have a set of backup files.

Sean

BTW : If you beat a dead horse too much it will come back as a zombie horse and eat you brains.
[/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Fellenz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko

BTW : If you beat a dead horse too much it will come back as a zombie horse and eat you brains.

And this...this is why we make our trucks faster, gotta be faster than the horse.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Fellenz
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
One reason: I'm paranoid and don't leave things in my truck usually. If my Insight grows legs and jumps out a shattered window, ultimately I'm out the gauge setup. If it's an Evo I'm out the cost of re-baselining the tuning in the truck if I ever want to change the tuning again. My SCT 3015 is NOT a gauge setup, that means my tuner is always safe back home and I'm only out an OBDII monitor.

It's not a trivial cost, a few hundred bucks for the FICM tune and PCM rollback w/ EGR turned off, it's worth covering that investment. But then again, I'm so paranoid I have a lock cover for the OBDII port so the dealer/state inspection can't screw with my PCM. Tuning costs money; unlocking devices costs money if a dealer flashes you to stock, and it costs money to get flashed to stock if a tuner gets stolen.
Very good point I didn't think of. I am fortunate enough to live in a fairly safe part of town.

The criminals also know we love our trucks, and guns.