6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

sct vs edge

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sct vs edge

i looking at getting one of the fallowing edge evolution or the evolution cts or sct hand held tuner sf3 or the sct livewire. i do have an extended warrenty so i dont know if have the pillar mounted tuner is going to affect that? i like the sct sf3 for the fact that it is easy to put back to stock and the egr off and jake brake setting is nice when towing dont know if the others have that option? and the thing i dont like about the sf3 is when its in the highest setting after the skinny pedal is pushed down so far it kicks in like hitting a nitous button. Or do all of them do that? I like the other ones in fact that they read EGTs

Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Flyinstroke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would stay away from the edge. I recently pulled out mine along with the transmission. I changed over to the SCT with custom tunes from Matt at Gearhead. I am thoroughly impressed by the custom tunes.

I still use the edge for my egt's and other gauges currently because i did like that part of it. I bought the edge about 3 years ago and i figured i wouldnt want anyone else with a 6.0 to have it so i decided not to sell it and keep it as gauges only.

thats my 2 pesos!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay away from the livewire as well. I just don't think they are picking up on doing any aggressive support for fixing the issues of the livewire since they have the TSX out now.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Flyin- does matts SRL tune have that all of a sudden kick in the a** when you get about half throttle like the highest pre loaded tune or is it smooth all the way thru? Did you notice any MPG increase?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
6.0junkie
New User
I agree with flyinstroke, stay away from edge tuning. Buy an SCT sf3 and buy custom tunes from your tuner or choice. There are a lot of good tuners out there. I have ran Gearhead's tow, srl+ and his extreme files and they were all good tunes. I currently have Innovative's extreme street on the truck right now and won't ever switch it I don't think. That is just my preference. You are going to hear a handful of different answers on who is the best and it all comes down to preference. The extreme street tune I have right now is awesome all around and I have had great success in dealing with Innovative, their customer service is excellent. When I ordered the tune it was 8a.m. and the file was in my inbox at 8:45 a.m.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM
6.0junkie
New User
Originally Posted by dhag911
Flyin- does matts SRL tune have that all of a sudden kick in the a** when you get about half throttle like the highest pre loaded tune or is it smooth all the way thru? Did you notice any MPG increase?
It is smooth all the way across. I didn't notice too much of a MPG increase but the hottest tunes seem to get the best milage when you keep your foot out of it. That will happen after you get used to the new found power and the excitement dies down lol. With matt's extreme tune I made a 400 mile highway trip with cruise control set at 70 and filled up when I got to my destination to check fuel milage. I hand calculated 20.3. My truck is a 04 ccsb 2wd with stock 265/75/16 tires tho. Mods are 4inch turbo back and powermax.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 PM
plomero2
Junior User
I have a edge and a new transmission. Thanks to the edge. I only use it for read outs now. I would leave it stock. But once bittin twice shy.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 PM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Originally Posted by plomero2
I have a edge and a new transmission. Thanks to the edge. I only use it for read outs now. I would leave it stock. But once bittin twice shy.
I'm with the leave it alone as well, but this is coming from someone who knows not the difference.
Never tried any electronic performance program and truck has never left me walkin.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mhatlen
Never tried any electronic performance program and truck has never left me walkin.
I wish more people that didn't know the difference between tuners like the Edge versus custom tuners like SCT did this. If they had, I wonder what the reputation of the 6.0 would be like then.

If you know what you are doing or go with a custom tuner (the person) that knows how to program the tune for your particular vehicle, then it could do wonders for you. But don't just fall for marketing to do your research. Actually investigate. Edge has spent a lot of money on marketing (and a lot of the other big name tuners have as well) and that's why those tuners are always on the tip of people's tongues.

One thing that is a pet peeve of mine, is do not buy a tuner with a mind toward fuel economy improvement. These are performance enhancers first and foremost. You might see an improvement, it would just depend on how you handle that new found power, but you might not. What other people tell you that they saw as an improvement is squat. Way too many variables go into MPG that it is very very hard to get someone that runs the exact same conditions as you do to give a remotely relevant calculation for you to go off of.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Flyinstroke
Elder User
No it is very smooth all the way through. I havent noticed any gains in mpg but its hard to keep my foot out of it also

Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Just for the record if you do have an Edge, you can have transmission only files from SCT and run both, do not stack added power from the SCT & Edge. Or if you have a manual transmission, carry on....

Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
im wanting the power gains but an increase in milage wouldnt make me complain one bit either. so if i would go with the edge and do an egr delete will the check light be on or would the edge shut that off?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
im wanting the power gains but an increase in milage wouldnt make me complain one bit either. so if i would go with the edge and do an egr delete will the check light be on or would the edge shut that off?

No, you would have to get a custom tune to get rid of the EGR function.

I wouldn't go the Edge route anyway, but it's your money.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
ok thanks guys for the information. Ill probably go with the SCT with custom tunes. A buddy had the edge on his 6.0 and loved it trying to convince me to get that one and it worked great for him and he said he consistanly got in the 20s milage wise but it is also pretty flat in the part of nebraska we are in

Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM
plomero2
Junior User
ok thanks guys for the information. Ill probably go with the SCT with custom tunes. A buddy had the edge on his 6.0 and loved it trying to convince me to get that one and it worked great for him and he said he consistanly got in the 20s milage wise but it is also pretty flat in the part of nebraska we are in
May be down hill with a strong tail wind drifting behind a semi going 55. Then yes 20 mpg is possible.

Quick Reply: sct vs edge