Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body lift kits what ones best for 4 door dually

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lift kits what ones best for 4 door dually

hey guys i have a 1992 F-350 dually crewcab (4 door) im trying to stuff a huge turbo on it and a need a few inces at the firewall sooooooo i was wondering if any one has a body lift 2"+ and what kits are the best bout a 200$ bugget ideal is a 3 inch ohh ya its a 7.3IDI soon to be powerstroke turboed lol with the E40D tranny will be putting in a school bus tranny later down the road

Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
after searching all night i cant find one that dont say dose not fit diesel any ideas why ?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
because body lifts are inherently dangerous.
they use cheap hardware that will break in an accident and then the body will separate from the frame.

i took a hammer to the body seam on the firewall and banged it up till flush with the firewall. this gave an extra 2 inches clearance for the turbo and downpipe.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
$200 is a hockey puck and drill budget. See if you can make it fit by doing some work under the hood before lifting the body. There are other associated costs such as bumper relocations, modifying transfer case or transmission shift linkages, fan shrouds, etc. You'll also be raising the center of gravity without changing the suspension geometry accordingly.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
$200 is a hockey puck and drill budget.
I was going to suggest hockey pucks too. A good friend of mine used them when he completely rebuild his 1 ton dodge, he said they are the strangest hardest soft rubber he has ever seen. Said they drill out very very easily, also swore you could chuck them in a lathe and machine them...

Diesel Rod

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
because body lifts are inherently dangerous.
they use cheap hardware that will break in an accident and then the body will separate from the frame.

i took a hammer to the body seam on the firewall and banged it up till flush with the firewall. this gave an extra 2 inches clearance for the turbo and downpipe.
umm sorry dont mean to do this but what are the inharrent dangers im vary large into jeep and have one with a 12 inch body lift ... and the rest of them all have 3" ... even rolled one at 65mph track bar broak .. but not one of the grade 12 bolts that i used broak ... yes if u where to use the crapy jap bolts that come in the kits i can see that ... also with the exception of the steering extention no other modafactions are dont to the suspention ... i dont want a 3" body kit either but im not really wanting to ditch a/c and heater either .. anyways im going to order one cause well now ive got to show ya it fine .. as for bummpers and what not i used to build derby cars i know bumpers and in FL other than other jacked up trucks no suv car or truck would peel the body off lol also i figure the center of gravity of this dually is rughly where my fire wall turns into a tranny tunnal now how much u think from the floor of the cab up weighs ?? lol my over all truck weight was almost 10,000 as weighed by state aproved scale sorry i cant see 3" of windows and roof and a few inches of the bed off set the COG much ... guess ill post up pics for u guys when it done thanks for all the help anyways
PS: hocky pucks dont exist in FL and never holding one im not wasteing 2.50$ x 3 pucks each at one inch tall so 3 per mount and what is it 12 mounts total lol i can but the 3' body lift for 120 and have a bock full of grade 12 bolts made in the USA so well see ima go look at some boat rollers

Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
... sorry i did not mean it to be a personal attack im just not a 16 year old looking to jack up my truck i plan on stuffing a school bus tranny and i need a few inches at the firewall .. insteed of cutting and ditching a/c heater box i could lift the body ... i simpaly was asking who has tryed and what kits to steer away from !

Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
no need to touch the heat or ac, all you do is roll the seam of the firewall up instead of pointing out toward the radiator. that will give you 2 inches of extra room.

i say they are dangerous and recommend people not using them because most people use the crap that comes in the kit. if you use grade 8 or better bolts, that is a different story.
i just prefer using suspension lifts, no messing with dropping the radiator or non working shifters.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I still don't buy into body lifts. Seem way too dangerous. Even with grade 8+ bolts, the body mounts themselves can shift. Putting a body lift on something that big and heavy is just stupid. Your not proving anything to us by putting one on a crew cab truck other than the fact that you don't care about safety of you or others at all. And honestly, 12" of body lift in a Jeep? Dumbest idea I have ever heard. Don't be cheap, do it right. Can't image how terrible that thing must be to drive if there's a single turn in the road.

Not trying to be rude, It just seems dumb to me to try and prove something that doesn't need proving. A body lift in a small truck is okay if its a small lift. I don't think it should be considered when dealing with something as big as a crew cab dually. It may sound whimpy that I bring up safety, but after all, your not the only one on the road but you are likely one of the biggest.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
well this is my mini tow truck so i want to keep the road hight the same .. its 2wd ya know and i pull alota weight with it not usualy in the bed altho now im thinking bout it .. would i be better of ya think just doing a custom lift on the boddy like 3" box along the frame ?? humm and maybe so x-bracing under the beed cause i do have 5th wheel and goose neck attachments the cab and bed ould only sit 3 inches thats not a whole lot .. and when i used to do demolition derbys it did not matter if there was a puck or there was 10" between the frame and body as long as it was one , as in plunty of bolting points and tight i could see dangers haveing a body kit and it not being 100% cinched down that in a wreck it would shift in turn sheering the bolts and off it foes where as ill even add a few places that will insure a tighter bond to frame than factory would ever dream about lol