Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New toys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New toys!

Well, I am still looking for a set of rebuildable heads for my 94, I thought I had a pair before I left for Denver last week, but got the call from the machine shop after magnafluxing and inspection, that both were cracked, so I have another set to take in tomorrow. In the mean time, I got a few things in the mail to play with.

Name:  parts 007.JPG
Views: 6096
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  parts 006.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  146.2 KB

The timing light is a:

Equus 3568 Innova Digital Timing Light With Inductive Pick-Up

I got it here.

Equus 3568 Innova Digital Timing Light With Inductive Pick-Up : Amazon.com : Automotive

The timing meter is the ferret pulse meter.

I got it here:

Ferret Instruments V765-01 Injector Tester - Fuel System Tools

The gauges are Glowshift, I should have held out for some better ones, but I am spending a fortune on this project already, and any gauges are better than no gauges at all, right?!?

Thought I'd share.

I am going to time my 93 when I get to the shop tomorrow, to see how bad my "by ear" timing was. I'll report back!

Take care,

Mac.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i just ordered a timing light and that ferret adapter too cus my old mag pickup for old meter stopped reading correctly.
were they out of stock on the ferret adapter? cus i got a e-mail from them saying it was back ordered.doesn't look like for long though.

here's the light i ordered.i hope we ordered decent enough lights for accurate 2k rpms Mac.

Amazon.com: Actron CP7529 Digital Timing Light: Automotive

let us know if she reads nice and steady.if this one i ordered doesn't and yours does,i'll swap ya even.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
i hope we ordered decent enough lights for accurate 2k rpms Mac.
I'm with ya on that one Ford.

I wish I could spend the money for better equipment right now, but I am bleeding cash on this project already. I am trying to find a fine line on good enough and inexpensive on most of the incidentals I buy. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me on the ***! My ferret was in stock. It shipped pretty quickly.

if this one i ordered doesn't and yours does,i'll swap ya even.
Yeah, you might need to throw in a couple chickens or something man! LOL

I'll definitely post a review. The ones I read on it were it works well, but several people had their screen go dead and had to exchange them. I don't know how many had this problem, but it seems that they were able to return them.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
mine came even though they sent an e-mail saying back ordered lol.
so i just had to grab this pic:

this seems just as easy as the lumy method,just different is all.got to mark my 0 degree's so i can see where she is.
revving her up to 2k instead 1400rpm is little um....different too.good lord lol.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
10.5 degree's BTDC has timing marks on the ip and housing just about lined up on the replacement ip.i had her a couple degree's over by ear/feel.
im not going any more retarded than this,or it'll feel like crap with the n/a ip on the now turboed engine.iv got to get the turbo ip for the correct timing curve,cus the n/a ip just isn't right for it,you can easily tell.by feel,too advanced where i had it (was like 15 degrees BTDC oops!) felt great down low,but mid to upper rpms suffered.i didn't go for a drive yet,but iv had the ip here before,i know i'll have my mid and upper back,but off the line isn't going to feel so hot anymore.
n/a ip on turbo engine = not the best of idea's.

i hope this gun is reading rpms correctly @ 2k.she reads steady as can be.

did ya get yours timed Mac?

edit;
ah this feels fine.i just couldn't set it worth a crap by feel/ear when my snapon meter broke.i must of went right by the sweet spot several times trying to find it.sure is good to have a working meter again.

this littler sucker is real easy to use Mac.slick as heck.it's no easier than timing via the old school lumy method though.just different,and you need the engine screaming at ya lol.but it's just as easy with good digital light.lumy might be a tad easier,cus you see both rpms and timing without having to switch views via a button,but it's close enough to call 'em both easy methods.
the biggest part of the job is still the moving of the ip.compared to frigging with that,reading the timing either way is simple.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
10.5 degree's BTDC has timing marks on the ip and housing just about lined up on the replacement ip.i had her a couple degree's over by ear/feel.
im not going any more retarded than this,or it'll feel like crap with the n/a ip on the now turboed engine.iv got to get the turbo ip for the correct timing curve,cus the n/a ip just isn't right for it,you can easily tell.by feel,too advanced where i had it (was like 15 degrees BTDC oops!) felt great down low,but mid to upper rpms suffered.i didn't go for a drive yet,but iv had the ip here before,i know i'll have my mid and upper back,but off the line isn't going to feel so hot anymore.
n/a ip on turbo engine = not the best of idea's.

i hope this gun is reading rpms correctly @ 2k.she reads steady as can be.

did ya get yours timed Mac?

edit;
ah this feels fine.i just couldn't set it worth a crap by feel/ear when my snapon meter broke.i must of went right by the sweet spot several times trying to find it.sure is good to have a working meter again.

this littler sucker is real easy to use Mac.slick as heck.it's no easier than timing via the old school lumy method though.just different,and you need the engine screaming at ya lol.but it's just as easy with good digital light.lumy might be a tad easier,cus you see both rpms and timing without having to switch views via a button,but it's close enough to call 'em both easy methods.
the biggest part of the job is still the moving of the ip.compared to frigging with that,reading the timing either way is simple.
double edit;
since set to 8.5 BTDC and she's much better all the way around.
no more loss of performance on the top end,with off the line still nice and crisp.

oops.not what i wanted to do,but i guess a quote is just as good as an edit anyway lol.
nice easy way to time guys with brand new tools! -that's a big plus.the old snap on meter sits on the garage self for nostalgia.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:56 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Yeah Ford I did. I had a little trouble the first attempt, but realized that I did not clean the fuel line well enough. I cleaned it up and it went smooth. My gun allows you to see advance and RPM's at the same time. It works great. Did you see the video I made of timing with it? It has a few tricks I came up with to make things a little easier. I hear ya on the screaming at you part though! 2K is humming a little!

Diesel pump timing - YouTube

Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh yeah i did see your vid,but i missed you had both readings at the same time.that's better than the one i got where iv got to switch back and forth.i like that setup you used to hold the throttle.i'll have do that too rather than hold it like i did and keep swapping back and forth on my gun to read it lol.that way it wont matter anyway as i'll know the throttle is holding steady when i swap to degrees.pretty slick.
you can see here in the vid,how mine works.you have to flip between displays.the last gun in the vid.you can skip to 1.00 min;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permali...ef=ent_fb_link

Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
hey Mac.it looks like you set your advance to 0.8 instead of 8.0 at 4.20 mins in the vid?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Ford it does look that way, but if you watch closely, I start at zero, and hit the down button to 99 by mistake. The meter only advances, so the down button took me to 99 advanced, and then start going back up, first to 0 then to 8* advanced. Now way it could be that far off, both trucks are running better than they ever have!

Mac,

Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
ok i thought so but didn't want to be doing it wrong cus im new to this method.
a bit behind the times. by umm...several years.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know if your still looking for a set of heads but these are already remaned or new he says he cant remember but for 500! u cant have them done for that! i dont think...

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/pts/3317656707.html

Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Damn those look good! they almost look new. I already got mine installed and back on the road. Thanks though. If they were closer, they might be worth putting on the shelf. The guy that did mine says that someone does make aftermarket heads for our trucks. They were 350 each for the body alone though.

Thanks for looking out though minitrucker,

a bit behind the times. by umm...several years.

I hear ya Ford I'm right on your coat tails, that's why I love these old gals so much!

Mac.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome vid Mac! great idea on those turn buckles as well.