6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Reflash killed my FICM!!! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reflash killed my FICM!!! HELP!!!!

Okay, so here goes. My truck had been running a little rough and a little low on power when cold for a few weeks. I did some reading and saw stuff about the cold start flash. I took it to the dealership and asked them to do this. It started and ran just fine the rest of that day, obviously it was already warm. Got up the next morning and the truck would crank but wouldn't hit a lick. Had it towed to the Ford dealership and they said the FICM was bad. I understand that there is some thought that the cold start program is harder on the FICM since it pulls more juice. So, I guess it killed my FICM. The FICM was replaced and it started great last night after sitting all day and then this morning after sitting all night.

Today, just one day after I got my FICM replaced, I was going down a city street and it just died. Now it will crank but it won't start. I've read that the most common problem would be a HPOP or high pressure leak somewhere. Does anyone have any thought? If it is the high pressure system, do you think this is all related? Did my FICM need to be replaced and I'm just unlucky to have 2 completely separate major problems in 2 days?

I guess I'll have it towed back to the dealership but I'm not sure I trust them too much. They were supposed to have checked the truck over after the FICM was replaced and they said everything was good.

BTW, this is on a 2005 F250 6.0 PSD with auto tranny, 4dr, 4wd, king ranch with about 160K miles.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
The newest flash was to aleviate the FICM destruction that the older FICM flashes were causing. Chances are that your FICM was already on it's way out and they just didn't catch it. The STC fitting is pure coincidence and not something they could really diagnose or check for.

I want to go for a ride in your Lightning if you ever get down to Arkansas--LOL.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply.
I tried to restart it this evening after it had cooled off and it would crank great but no combustion.
You think it's the STC fitting? I've been doing some reading and it seems that a lot of different things can go leaving you with the same problem of low pressure in the HPOP system. The pump itself o-rings, all kinds of different stuff.

Oh, and I'd be glad to let you drive my Lightning. Since that sig was made, I've upgraded to the KB 2.6 blower with the JLP powerflow plenum. Should put me over the 725 hp mark but I haven't dyno'd it yet.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

You can remove the ICP sensor from the passenger side front of the valve cover and use it as a port to air test the HPO system. You'll need to power the IPR valve closed and listen for a leak from either valve cover OR back middle of the motor (which would indicate STC). You obviously have the mechanical knowledge/ability to tackle the job.

700 hp lightning......that's gotta be a blast to drive. I'd probably end up in the slammer--LMAO.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 AM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
I do have the mechanical ability but diesels are like a black box to me. Also, with my work right now, I just flat out don't have time to do it myself.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
I called the dealership today and they said it was apparently a problem with the FICM they installed. Said it had a loose connection. They wiggled one of the wires going into it and it ran perfect. Wiggled it again and it killed it. They are replacing the FICM with another FICM right now. Hopefully this will really fix the issue. They said they would cover the costs on this one, including the tow back to the dealership.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bigsnag
I called the dealership today and they said it was apparently a problem with the FICM they installed. Said it had a loose connection. They wiggled one of the wires going into it and it ran perfect. Wiggled it again and it killed it. They are replacing the FICM with another FICM right now. Hopefully this will really fix the issue. They said they would cover the costs on this one, including the tow back to the dealership.
Wow. That's a gold star dealership for sure. Hope you got it all worked out.

As far as diesels being a black box, I promise you it's really easier than that blown monster of yours--LOL. It just takes a little schooling from a good teacher to learn the basics and the rest is history.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Well, I picked up the truck and it started up and ran like a champ. They just handed me the keys and said "Sorry about that." I didn't have to pay anything.

I guess nothing left to do other than just drive it.

Yeah, I know the ins and outs of those Lightning's pretty well. All these parts people have mentioned, ICP, SCT, FICM, etc. I don't even know where those are on the truck. LOL!!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsnag
Well, I picked up the truck and it started up and ran like a champ. They just handed me the keys and said "Sorry about that." I didn't have to pay anything.

I guess nothing left to do other than just drive it.

Yeah, I know the ins and outs of those Lightning's pretty well. All these parts people have mentioned, ICP, SCT, FICM, etc. I don't even know where those are on the truck. LOL!!
Great service. Let us know who the dealership is. Glad they got you taken care of!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
Great service. Let us know who the dealership is. Glad they got you taken care of!
Definitely! The dealership was NorthPoint Ford in Pryor, OK. Other than them being unlucky that they installed a defective part, the service was top notch. I'd let them work on my truck again in a heartbeat.