Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Cross flow's coming--w/turbo!!

I was at ABS power brake, and started chatting with a couple of guys who were buying eight custom mustang booster/master set ups. It turns out they were Aussies, taking them back to Australia. I mentioned how 4.9 lovers over here were dying to get some of the Aussie X flow heads/engines, and how I thought they should maximize their travel by taking some of the heads/engines with them to USA on their next trip. I gave them my email and the name of this forum, and hopefully I'll hear from them.

He mentioned one model, the Cyclone, with twin turbos. I hope he saves that one for me

[SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Elder User

f100jim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong (would not be the first time). As far as I know, Ford never made a PRODUCTION crossflow head for the 4.9/300 - not here, not there, not anywhere. They DID make a production crossflow head in Australia for the small inline six, but it won't fit the big six.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Postmaster

F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f100jim View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong (would not be the first time). As far as I know, Ford never made a PRODUCTION crossflow head for the 4.9/300 - not here, not there, not anywhere. They DID make a production crossflow head in Australia for the small inline six, but it won't fit the big six.
You're right. I do remember now. I guess I was just so excited at the thought of getting one, I forgot about them being the small 6's. Dang it. I was having a really good fantasy until you brought reality into it.

[SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I've toyed with making one out of a chunk of aluminum, but the cost of materials and the machining skills are keeping me from it. There is a drag race only head that doesn't have any coolant passages, I was going to make one with the main part of the head, intake runners, top side of the combustion chambers, coolant passages, valvetrain mounts and valve guides and then a plate welded in to separate the coolant from the oil.
That's about the only way you'll get a cross flow head for the 300 now.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Elder User

f100jim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford engineering did make some crossflow heads for the 300 here in the US. They made two varieties. The first generation had oval exhaust ports. The second generation had D-shaped exhaust ports. It is not clear what the purpose of the program was. Some say it was to make a better head for the 300 to make it a more viable engine for emissions and fuel economy purposes. I don't believe that. Others have said that it was a Ford racing program to campaign the 300. This is possible, but I don't think so. Others say that the program was simply an R&D effort to study flow characteristics of some new port designs and that the 300 was simply a convenient test bed. This is the most believable (IMO). It is equally difficult to find any information on exactly how many of these heads were made, but the most enthusiast estimates put them at a few dozen of each type. When the program ended, Ford management order the heads destroyed and melted for scrap. Some number of the later generation heads found their way out of the facility in the dark of night - "rescued" by Ford employees who did not want to see them all destroyed, or perhaps more likely by employees who knew how much they would be worth to the right buyers :-)

These heads are extremely rare. There was one for sale in the classified section of another forum site a year or so ago. IIRC The guy was asking $1200 for a bare head. Close inspection of the photographs provided revealed what may have been a hairline crack in one exhaust port. This is the only one I have ever seen for sale anywhere at any price.

This thread has a few pictures of one of these Ford engineering heads:

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

As Ford Six said, there is a solid aluminum drag-race-only crossflow head for the 300. There is also a company that is/was working on a street aluminum crossflow head for the 300. For several years they made an aluminum crossflow head for the small six. They ran into problems with the foundry that was making those heads overseas, and eventually ended up moving their production to the US. Last I heard, they were still working out some of the kinks to get the small six head back into production, and were hoping to get the big six head project going again soon. I really hope they get them into production. I would love to have one.

Finally, there is a guy who has cut and welded together two Chevy LS1 heads to make one aluminum crossflow head for the 300. You can see it here:

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View topic - HYBRID LSX FORD 300 *PIX*

Scroll most of the way down to find links to the pictures. He did an amazing job.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I guess I phrased my last post a bit wrong- The only way to get a cross flow 300 head is to make it.
You can do the chop and reassemble with Cleveland (351m/400) heads, and they do pretty well. Those LS6 heads are really coming down in price, though. It's much nicer welding aluminum rather than iron, but I don't think I have a machine with enough power to make welds like those right now without preheating to 200+ degrees.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Senior User

jem44357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the skill and time here is one option...

https://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53911

Jim
2-93 4.9LEFI 5spd 150's to be-nazTeeruck Chopped/lowered 93 Ford F150. 4w Wildwood disc breaks. Dual fuel C3H8/C8H18. Turbo. Dual exhaust. 5spd. Complete rollbar bucketseats w/5 point restraint. Shortbox on longbox frame with diamond plate cover w/wing. C8H18fuel cell in da box. Diamond plate box between box&cab to hold 100lb. C3H8 tank. Front fuel filler door for C3H8/rear C8H18. Nastruck tires and wheels*DEBUT2020DetroitAutorama*/92F1504wd/FFR MK3 Roadster 78 309i6 TCI AODE/Clifford intake Weber DCOE's 45mm 3x2/04 mustang/09GMC
Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Postmaster

During research for an article on how to hot rod the 300, I came across some interesting info on the illusive X-flow head.

1. There was a guy who made a name for himself by cutting and welding together three 351 W heads for the 300. If you did far enough into google, you come across a dragster with one of the heads.

2. I interviewed a retired Ford engineer who worked on the 300 project. According to him, Ford actually put out a very few 300's with a cross flow and turbo set up, which made more hp than a 460.

When the project ended, Ford asked employees if they wanted any of the heads, and then destroyed a palate full. Below I'll post a photo supplied by the engineer.

Photobucket

[SIGPIC]
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM

AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.AbandonedBronco has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer View Post

When the project ended, Ford asked employees if they wanted any of the heads, and then destroyed a palate full.
MONSTERS!!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Senior User

jem44357 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry f100jim,

I did not see your link.

AbandonedBronco,

Agreed. It would seem to me that some where in a deep dark dungeon the secret documentation for the exclusive 300 cross flow head lurks for discovery... whom every finds it could make some real change off of it.

Jim
2-93 4.9LEFI 5spd 150's to be-nazTeeruck Chopped/lowered 93 Ford F150. 4w Wildwood disc breaks. Dual fuel C3H8/C8H18. Turbo. Dual exhaust. 5spd. Complete rollbar bucketseats w/5 point restraint. Shortbox on longbox frame with diamond plate cover w/wing. C8H18fuel cell in da box. Diamond plate box between box&cab to hold 100lb. C3H8 tank. Front fuel filler door for C3H8/rear C8H18. Nastruck tires and wheels*DEBUT2020DetroitAutorama*/92F1504wd/FFR MK3 Roadster 78 309i6 TCI AODE/Clifford intake Weber DCOE's 45mm 3x2/04 mustang/09GMC
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
250, 300, 49, aluminum, australian, chevy, coming, crossflow, crosslow, find, ford, head, i6, inline, race, swap, truck