2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rain Sensing Auto Wiper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 07:02 PM
Grahambowski
5th Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Rain Sensing Auto Wiper Issue

I've given it my best trying to adapt to the rain sensing wipers, but I find that I am constantly fiddling with the setting on the stalk with random effect on wiper speed and wipe frequency. I thought, well if I'm going to be constantly messing with the stalk to control wiper speed at least I can turn off the rain sensing feature and KNOW the effect that turning the stalk will have. Well, it seems that no matter what I do on the setting screen my wipers always act as if rain sensing is on. I have tried turning it on and off multiple times. I tried turning it off, shutting down the truck, leaving it and then coming back later. I have tried messing with the courtesy wipe feature as well just in case, but nothing seems to actually disable the rain sensing wipers. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Old 05-23-2024, 09:34 PM
whiterr
Mountain Pass
Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts
On mine, it is Ford junk....no rhyme or reason how they work. I wish that I had the older style if "I control" the intermittent speed. Ford is working on driving me back to an XL.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:49 PM
ibeb
Mountain Pass
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My 2020 F350 and others I've read about have had similar iasue. For most, it is the lack of QA on the sensor that is mounted up by the rearview mirror. Some they just haven't been clipped in all the way, some have had the adhesive run from heat as they weren't properly attached and some are a mix of both.

Here is a link to the Tremor forum where it is discussed along with posts from me on my issues and fix.

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/r...g-wipers.9980/

Hope it helps.

Erik

Old 05-23-2024, 10:10 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,479 Likes on 1,836 Posts
You disable them by turning the **** to "off", guess I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to.
Then you can just turn the switch past the rain sensing settings to fully on, low or high speed, just as if it didn't have rain sensing.
I have always liked rain sensing on mine, only time I have any issue is if something like a bug splatter gets on the windshield over the sensor, making the wipers wipe a dry windshield, and sometimes I have to adjust the sensitivity to make the wipers wipe more/faster, but not often.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:59 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,603 Posts
In my '19 the rain sensing function can be turned off in the settings. I didn't care for it so it's been off for almost all of the 5 years I've owned the truck. With rain sensing off it functions like any other intermittent wiper, turning the stalk adjusts the frequency of the wipe.

Sounds like the OP turned it off in the settings but it's still functioning as if the rain sensing autowipers feature is on.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-24-2024, 08:32 AM
Log Hog Kust'em
Tuned
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 F350, auto sensing wipers work great. Miss them when I drive a vehicle with out rain sensing wipers.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:18 AM
MrMBell_11
Mountain Pass
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You disable them by turning the **** to "off", guess I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to.
Then you can just turn the switch past the rain sensing settings to fully on, low or high speed, just as if it didn't have rain sensing.
I have always liked rain sensing on mine, only time I have any issue is if something like a bug splatter gets on the windshield over the sensor, making the wipers wipe a dry windshield, and sometimes I have to adjust the sensitivity to make the wipers wipe more/faster, but not often.
My wife's Mazda CX-5 has an overly sensitive rain wiper and any long trip you randomly will get the wipes from nothing to full speed because a bug hit the sensor.

However with the 2024, albeit I have only had it for 2 weeks, rain sensing wipes have worked well.

Old 05-24-2024, 02:31 PM
Grahambowski
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
In my '19 the rain sensing function can be turned off in the settings. I didn't care for it so it's been off for almost all of the 5 years I've owned the truck. With rain sensing off it functions like any other intermittent wiper, turning the stalk adjusts the frequency of the wipe.

Sounds like the OP turned it off in the settings but it's still functioning as if the rain sensing autowipers feature is on.
Exactly this.

I will look into the fix that @ibeb posted and see if I have better luck fixing it versus trying to get it to go back to normal intermittent wiping.

Old 05-24-2024, 03:31 PM
gSwift
More Turbo
Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts
I’ve had rain sensing wipers on my last 2 Superdutys and just within the past week, the auto sensing seems to be acting up. Twice now the wipers will start trying to wipe the windshield with the windows dry as a bone and nothing on them. Today they kept wiping for like 10 minutes just out of the blue.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:03 AM
TexasJackKin
Cross-Country
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gSwift
I’ve had rain sensing wipers on my last 2 Superdutys and just within the past week, the auto sensing seems to be acting up. Twice now the wipers will start trying to wipe the windshield with the windows dry as a bone and nothing on them. Today they kept wiping for like 10 minutes just out of the blue.
check for a bug splat on our near the sensor

Old 05-26-2024, 11:05 PM
Grahambowski
5th Wheeling
Is this what everybody else's sensor looks like? I popped off the cover inside the cab to make sure it was clipped in place properly. It was, but I pushed on it a bunch of times just to be sure it was secure against the windshield. I don't know if the dots you can see on the sensor are from me pushing on it or if they were there beforehand. I'm thinking maybe there may not be enough "goo" between the sensor and the windshield and this is causing erratic wiper behavior? I'm going to take the cover back off tomorrow and see if trying to push the sensor onto the windshield again changes those dots into a more uniform spread.

Rain Sensor

Old 05-27-2024, 07:16 AM
Gomerpyle
Hotshot
Received 2,665 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Mine has been turned off since day two of owning my truck in 2019. They went nuts over the slightest mist. Along with many other things, I'll just control it myself.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:41 AM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Sometimes they work good on my '19, other times not.

I usually have them enabled for sumer months.

For winter with snow/sleet, forget about it, they don't know what to do, so I turn them off.

At least in my '19 when auto is off, the stick operates just like it should manually

Old 05-27-2024, 07:43 AM
nickshu
Tuned
Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Fords rain sensing wipers are awful. I have had rain sensing wipers in various other car makes and they work great, but Ford did not design/program them well. I have had 3 F-series trucks w/ them and they just don't work correctly. I just turn them off in the settings.
They either don't pickup light rain, or think light rain is heavy rain and turn the wipers on high.

I was hoping that w/ the electronics/dash redesign they would have fixed them, but since your signature says you have a 2024 I guess they didn't. Too bad.

Old 05-30-2024, 01:05 PM
Grahambowski
5th Wheeling
Since taking a close look and pressing the sensor firmly onto the windshield things seem to have gotten better. In moderate to heavy rain the wipers seem to act as expected and perform well on the second or third sensitivity level. They still switch to monsoon mode a little early for my taste, but them seem to react appropriately when I adjust them down one click. I have not had a chance to test them in any light rain but I am hopeful they will act better in that scenario as well. I am still unable to turn rain sensing off via the dash screen.