Notices

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM
mtntop1
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Blades

I'm scratching my head on this one.I can't get the wipers on my 954 F150 from chattering across the windshield.I changed the blades numerous times,changed the wiper arms,even changed the windshield ( it was pitted ) and still have the problem.This has been going on for years.I tried just about everything but maybe some one here has a suggestion.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:12 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtntop1
I'm scratching my head on this one.I can't get the wipers on my 954 F150 from chattering across the windshield.I changed the blades numerous times,changed the wiper arms,even changed the windshield ( it was pitted ) and still have the problem.This has been going on for years.I tried just about everything but maybe some one here has a suggestion.
Are you maybe getting a coating on the windshield like wax or something?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'm in the auto glass biz and fight with customers about wiper blades all the time---good on ya for changing them and the wiper arms too--great first step!

Its possible your shafts have worn to the point they're wobbling around and letting the blades skip across the windshield. Given you've changed everything else this is all that remains---check those for soundness and no excessive play or run out.

HTH

Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm in the auto glass biz and fight with customers about wiper blades all the time---good on ya for changing them and the wiper arms too--great first step!
Any suggestions on what wiper blades to use? I find I get about six months before they start to chatter, even with the "premium" blades. (Our only source of auto parts on island is Napa.) I asked about silicone blades as I'd heard that they last a lot longer, but they said that while they don't chatter, they stop keeping the windshield clear fairly quickly. Here in the great Pacific Northwet we are just about to enter our gloom and drizzle period. We have days where it isn't raining, and if you stand still you stay dry, but it you walk you collide with the water particles in the air and get wet. Those are the most trying for wiper blades.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I've bought blades from $4 to $22 each, they're all pretty much the same miserable poor quality. Here in Columbus, Ohio if I get 4 good months out of a set on my own van I'm happy.

Through NAPA I find they have a mid-level quality sold under their name that costs me about $7.50 each---they seem decent. Have also purchased Motorcraft direct from Ford but they're just okay, 'bout the same as the NAPA mid-level stuff.

I've found the more hype and expensive a wiper blade is the quicker it disappoints me. Add in all the BS about silicone this and Rain-X this---I vomit just a little right into my mouth.

Since you're island bound I'd shop eBay for something suitable and lay in multiple sets, as many as 6 or 12 all bought at one time. You know you'll use them so better to work one good purchase and restock as needed. I do this with Motorcraft FL820S filters, buy from Amazon by the dozen shipped free for about $3.50 each.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
Add 1/4 cup household ammonia to 1 quart water, pour it into a plastic bottle with a water-tight cap, and keep it in your car for washing the windshield and windows. As soon as your windshield begins to get dirty, take out the solution and apply it with a sponge; then dry the windshield with a soft cloth or paper towels. Also wipe your wiper blades with this solution. End of wiper bounce.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

@JWA, Yeah, I guess I should just bite the bullet and by bulk.

I'm with you about all the hype, except maybe Rain-X. Rain-X has saved my bacon more than once. I've used it when wiper systems have failed and it allowed me to keep driving. It's also great on boats where you get periodic spray that isn't really enough to run the wipers without chattering but left alone would dry to salt deposits and streaks.

The funny thing I see is that Rain-X is now branding wiper blades. If their product is so great that you don't need wipers, why are they selling their brand name to wipers???

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Actually it was the Rain-X brand wipers I was mocking.

Rain-X has added products to their line since it was first released to the general public. Given my experience and knowledge with all this I was and remain highly skeptical of new products like this---its nothing more than attempting to ride the coat tails of one good product.

Rain-X as a product is okay however I prefer PPG's version known as Aquapel, much better stuff from my perspective. Its not cheap but highly effective and worth the extra cost. I've used it on my own windshield and side glass in an E250 work truck.

Aquapel also has a wiper washer fluid, used full strength. My cost is $3.50/gallon which isn't a lot more than the typical stuff for about $2.50 or more retail. (I don't pay over $2/gallon through a fleet discount, buying 6 at a time.)

Probably the biggest wiper blade killers are sunlight and the dirt that collects on their top surfaces if not used for a period of time. Unless they're very wet before being started after being idle dragging them and that dirt across the windshield causes them to pit further accelerating their demise. Sadly there's no real easy way to first flood the W/S with fluid before starting the wipers so that's something we have to live with.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Thanks, I'll check out the Aquapel.

Here we have two wiper blade replacement seasons. The first is about now when it starts raining and we realize how badly the old blades degraded in the summer sun. The second season is spring time when the blades are already shot from the constant use in the winter time. Either that or you just suffer through the chatter because you know you'll have to replace them in the fall anyway.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Bosch Icon wiper blades have been lasting two plus years verses 6 months on Napa Carquest wiper blades,results on 75 F-250,2001 F-250,2008 Altima,89 Geo metro,2004 Accord.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 AM
karlduke
Senior User
I havde the Bosch icon blades and they work better than the Rain X.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Jerry's red Ford
Freshman User
I have tried it all and the best process I've found is as follows.
1. Clean the windshield with Bonamy with a wet sponge. Scrub vigersely!
2. Use a good glass cleaner and polish using "news paper" with the black ink only.
3. Finally, preform this sequence about 3 times a week.
After about 2 weeks, your wipers will not chatter.

Jerry R - Edgewood Washington

Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have the rainx blades. No problems yet. My first set lasted 2 years. The ones I have now are not as good as the first set. Same blade just less quality. I may try the Bosch Icon or the PPG Aquapel. I get good service with all PPG products.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Cleaned my windows with Bar Keepers Friend....have not had a problem since.