2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Vinyl wrap to match Iconic Silver

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 02:52 PM
skipper469
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl wrap to match Iconic Silver

New member here. I own a 2021 F250 6.7 Lariat in Iconic Silver, and would like to have my front and rear chrome bumpers wrapped to match my paint color as close as possible. I can go to different places here in the Phoenix area (I'm on the west side), but I would rather not drive all over town trying to find a match. Does anyone know of a brand and color of vinyl film that matches Iconic Silver Ford paint?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:06 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,479 Likes on 1,836 Posts
I doubt you will find a good match, maybe get close, but the difference would be noticeable.

Get your bumpers blasted and painted, or get some non-plated bumpers to paint.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:10 PM
skipper469
New User
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I doubt you will find a good match, maybe get close, but the difference would be noticeable.

Get your bumpers blasted and painted, or get some non-plated bumpers to paint.
I thought of that, but it's my only vehicle, and I don't want the cost of a rental while the vehicle is in the shop.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:13 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,479 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by skipper469
I thought of that, but it's my only vehicle, and I don't want the cost of a rental while the vehicle is in the shop.
Wouldn't have to be in the shop for more than a couple of hours if you bought a set of non-plated bumpers to get painted.
Then they could paint the bumpers and the truck would only have to be in the shop long enough to R&R the bumpers.
Probably no longer than a shop would take to wrap your original ones.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-14-2022, 04:27 PM
skipper469
New User
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Wouldn't have to be in the shop for more than a couple of hours if you bought a set of non-plated bumpers to get painted.
Then they could paint the bumpers and the truck would only have to be in the shop long enough to R&R the bumpers.
Probably no longer than a shop would take to wrap your original ones.
I'd rather wrap the bumpers for now. That's more time, effort and money of which I'm not up for doing. Thanks for the idea though.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Jeff Sutton
Trailering
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I used Oracal 970RA in Gloss Metallic Silver Grey (color 090) which perfectly matched the Ingot Silver on my 2019. I know you can order small color samples from them…could be worth a try.

edit to add…I just came across tvdvinyldecals.com and they have a match (according to them) for Iconic Silver. I don’t know what vinyl manufacturer they use, but would be worth a try if they can send you a sample to see in person. If you go to their site, you can find it in the “blog” section.

I did find Oracal951 with a color code of 905 that could be the right match, but I’m not sure if that film will hold up on the bumper.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Sutton:
Old 05-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Wheelsoff
Trailering
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been looking for a vinyl to match also. I want to wrap the chrome bumpers on my truck as well.

I haven't had any luck finding anything that matches perfect, I even bought the oracal color book to try to get a match.

That color code 905 is the sixth from the left on this sheet. A bit too dark. The closest thing I have found (large color sample) is 090 silver grey metallic. Although it's a little lighter, it may not be that noticeable on the bumpers.

I may give it a shot with that color and see how it turns out.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:10 AM
2Wheel-Lee
Mountain Pass
Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
I saw this online a while back when I was going to order Iconic silver. Just another option.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:23 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 428 Likes on 284 Posts
@tricon did it with some vinyl

Old 05-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Wheelsoff
Trailering
Okay after buying every sample that I could find I think I got as close as I can get with vinyl. Not a perfect match, but shouldn't be that noticeable on the bumpers..
This is Hexis Skintac Gloss meteorite grey metallic. I'm going to buy some and do the bumpers on my truck. Will post how it turns out.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:02 PM
Wheelsoff
Trailering
Okay I got done with the front and rear bumpers this weekend. also did the door handles, and black mirror caps.
Kind of a pita to do I actually took the bumpers off to make it easier.

It's not a perfect match, and you can tell if staring directly at it, but it's really not too bad I think I can live with it. I just need to cut my valance shorter and bolt it back on but it's pretty much done now. Will be doing the grille black when I get a chance.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:06 AM
thebigredx
4wd High
Originally Posted by Wheelsoff
Okay I got done with the front and rear bumpers this weekend. also did the door handles, and black mirror caps.
Kind of a pita to do I actually took the bumpers off to make it easier.

It's not a perfect match, and you can tell if staring directly at it, but it's really not too bad I think I can live with it. I just need to cut my valance shorter and bolt it back on but it's pretty much done now. Will be doing the grille black when I get a chance.

Looks real good. I have a lariat with chrome bumpers and carbonized accent and thought about doing my bumpers to match the grey. I checked the local wrap shop and they quoted me $700 to wrap front and rear bumpers. How hard was it to wrap? Where did you get your samples? What thickness did you get?

Old 05-24-2022, 07:00 AM
Wheelsoff
Trailering
I got the samples from metrorestyling.com they were $1 each. the wrap I ended up with was Hexis brand I'm not sure how thick it is. The black I used was 3M 1080 film, and I would say the Hexis was thicker but also much easier to work with.

I'm not a pro, but tackled wrapping bumpers on my last truck so I've played with it a bit. Wasn't too bad if you take your time. Maybe took 6 hours for both bumpers and that's with taking everything apart. I got a 5x8 sheet and it was $70 ish from Metro. Good thing I did because I made a couple mistakes and had to redo a piece. I have less than $100 into everything material wise just takes a bit of time. Will be doing the grille next in black just didn't have enough material left over.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wheelsoff:
Old 05-24-2022, 06:50 PM
thebigredx
4wd High
Originally Posted by Wheelsoff
I got the samples from metrorestyling.com they were $1 each. the wrap I ended up with was Hexis brand I'm not sure how thick it is. The black I used was 3M 1080 film, and I would say the Hexis was thicker but also much easier to work with.

I'm not a pro, but tackled wrapping bumpers on my last truck so I've played with it a bit. Wasn't too bad if you take your time. Maybe took 6 hours for both bumpers and that's with taking everything apart. I got a 5x8 sheet and it was $70 ish from Metro. Good thing I did because I made a couple mistakes and had to redo a piece. I have less than $100 into everything material wise just takes a bit of time. Will be doing the grille next in black just didn't have enough material left over.
thanks for the info. Did you do the front one in one piece or left side, right side and upper part separately? How difficult was it to get it to lay right in the fog light holes?

Old 05-25-2022, 12:48 PM
Wheelsoff
Trailering
I ended up doing the front in 3 pieces just because I cut myself short on material. I put a seam in the middle of the bottom that gets hidden from the front license plate, so no big deal.
The upper piece was separate as well since it gets covered by the trim piece. Fog light holes were super easy just use a heat gun and form it in. The trim rings cover a lot so you have a lot of room for error there. It's not 100% perfect, but I bet no one would notice it's not painted unless I point out a couple tiny imperfections that you would have to crawl under the truck to see.

I did get some tint to apply to the taillights as well, but those are going to be tricky. Need to have a day where I'm not in a rush to do those.