Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 PM
ZakMay09
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm back!

Hey guys/gals, thanks for stopping by my thread. I used to be a semi-active member on here in a different community. Now, I'm back full-time-ish but this time in the 7.3 Power Stroke land. Recently traded for a 2000 Crew Cab. Aesthetically, not the greatest BUT mechanically very strong. Just shy of 225k, 4" turbo back, lots of rebuilt or replaced parts, and protected on the back half. Living in Illinois for the next couple years, I was able to find this truck with minimal rot. On cursory inspection, the rust that is there on the front of the frame is just surface. It can be wheeled off easily and painted/protected. I don't want to do that though until I get the cab taken care of and the truck repainted.

I'm still in the Navy and working on the truck with what little money/time I have. I have big plans with a small plan wallet so bear with me as I get this going. I appreciate any and all advice from y'all. Don't hesitate to comment on here if you have a good idea or a different way to go about things.

Immediate plans:
-New batteries (could use suggestions)
-Cab work
-Frame work
-Fluids change

Big Money Plans:
-Edge Insight CTS2 Monitor (because temp monitoring is crucial)
-Rebuild the front end (rear was already rebuilt)
-Slight suspension lift
-Wheels/Tires (Nothing too obnoxious)
-Beef up the transmission (I plan on doing a lot of recreational towing)
-Beef up the injectors
-New turbo

Thanks again for stopping by. I look forward to working with a lot of you and getting involved in the community.
Cheers, Zak

Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome back! For batteries I'd recommend going with Interstates or Dekas. I've had good luck with both.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 PM
ZakMay09
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Welcome back! For batteries I'd recommend going with Interstates or Dekas. I've had good luck with both.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out once we get paid. It's getting cold in Illinois and had a couple touch and go's with starting the truck already. Old Motocraft batteries will end up leaving me stranded here if I don't take care of them soon I think.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:39 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Dont remember you but, nonetheless, welcome back..i know about money and because of it, its why im nursing an old set of batts now, with a 1.5a tender permanently mounted to d/s battery. Along with plugging ur in at night(marinco mod), she cracks every morning. Something to think about to help extend the life of them hard earned benjamins

Old 10-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I second the Interstates. I have had them in my truck for 3 years now. Started every time. If you have cold start issues make sure and check on the health of the starter. I had cold start issues for a long time I always attributed it to my Texas truck being pissed I lived in Indiana, but it turned out to be a worn out starter.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,924 Likes on 1,934 Posts
I will add to the Interstate battery chorus and also recommend that you get them from Costco. They have a 3-year (or is it 5? Having a senior moment here) warranty on them.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:39 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome back. Can't add much to the battery debate, other than consideration to the warranty. Surprisingly, I've had great results with Autozone's warranty on Duralast Gold/Platinum batteries; many failures after 3-5 years a set in very cold weather, but good replacements from various shops between PA and MA.

If you're in Great Lakes, the last time I was there (2007) I watched them demolish the barracks my friends and I lived in through boot camp. Spent many many days at the Auto Hobby shop there with my $50 '75 Gran Torino.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The best bang for the buck on batteries would be Interstate from Costco if you're a member there or have a contact who is. They only carry one option for our trucks and I believe it's a 46 month warranty. OTD for under $100/ea. DEKA's are good as well but they seem to be about $150/ea when I can get them. I'd also check your glow plug system for proper function as winter is setting in and you'll need your glow plugs working properly.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back. Since you are on a budget like a lot of us the stock injectors will work very well. These engines are dogs when bone stock but with a good tune they come alive. I always had gas engines until this F350 some 8+ years ago. I was not impressed with the fuel pedal reaction when I stomped on it. Added a DP tuner and now it is very responsive, reliable and pulls great. These engines can develop as much power as you want to spend the dollars on them. Youtube has many videos of diesels outrunning sports cars at the strip.

To summarize - more isn't always better and reliability is king.

Lots of knowledgeable guys here that are willing to help. Very good forum.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
In the Navy in IL. I had a cousin that lived in St Louis, stationed to a mine sweeper. Go figure.
As for the batteries I vote for Interstate as well. They build the batteries for a bunch of different brands, just need to do your homework on how they are constructed ETC. I believe that there is a breakdown of who makes what on this site but not sure about that.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:19 PM
ZakMay09
Senior User
Awesome advice. It almost seems like Interstate is the way to go. Thanks everyone for the help. I need to check out the mod that timmyboy76 mentioned. Between that and checking the starter, it sounds like I'll be able to squeeze a little more life out of these batteries potentially. As for glow plugs, I checked them when I got the truck this past Sunday. Everything seemed to check out. The previous owner was even kind enough to leave me the 7 spares he had. The guy had taken care of the truck quite well and had glow plugs, CPS, and some new brake pads he left me since he didn't need them any more. In regards to the injectors, I figure here pretty soon I'm going to have to change them any way so I might as well beef that area up a little bit. I plan on towing a boat during the summer out here to Chain O' Lakes. I might even tow my dad and uncle's Jeeps out to Moab for Easter Jeep Weekend this coming year.

As for the Navy in Midwest thing, I'm a firearms instructor at boot camp at the moment.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome back? If you pass through Colorado and want to hit a trail hit me up, if I’m Stateside we’ll run something.
Wait…they give you Navy boys guns??

Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM
ZakMay09
Senior User
They like to think so. It's not as much fun as you think it is. I have family out in Colorado now so I plan on making my way out there again at some point. I'll be sure to PM you when I start planning on some dates!