Wondering if my trailer brake controller is working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wondering if my trailer brake controller is working.

Hi everyone. I have a 2012 F-350 Diesel. I tow a few different trailers. The one I'm questioning is my travel trailer. It's not too heavy considering what can be towed by this truck. It's 8000 lbs unloaded, maybe 9 or 9500 lbs loaded. When I have my other trailers hooked up with load it can be 6-10,000lbs I usually have my controller set to about 5 or 7. Now with my travel trailer fully loaded I find I have to adjust up to 9 or even 10 to be efficient. That doesn't make sense to me. What if I had a heavier load? The controller seems to work. I have tried it on it's own. It does slow everything down as I depress it alone. I realize the trailer brakes are not as heavy duty as the trucks brakes but I expected them to resist more under use. Would this be considered normal? What's your guys experiences out there? If your hauling with a fifth wheel or goose neck does it work the same. Obviously loads can go up to about 30,000lbs! What do you do then? Same system? I'm full of questions lol. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:27 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
What do you call " efficient " ? The Ford TBC works differently than most controllers.... Does the manual brake (Controller) slow the RV down at 5 or 7? Can you feel it pull the rear of the truck down? Have you ever felt when stopping that the trailer is pushing you? I think it's prob working fine so long as the tralier's brakes have been checked and are good. Have you pulled the wheels to see if there has been grease embedded on the rotors?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:40 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BPofMD
What do you call " efficient " ? The Ford TBC works differently than most controllers.... Does the manual brake (Controller) slow the RV down at 5 or 7? Can you feel it pull the rear of the truck down? Have you ever felt when stopping that the trailer is pushing you? I think it's prob working fine so long as the tralier's brakes have been checked and are good. Have you pulled the wheels to see if there has been grease embedded on the rotors?
I haven't pulled the wheels off yet. That would be next on the list. I take it there is no way to adjust the brake controller? 10 is 10. I have set my controller to 10 in the past and feel the trailer is not slowing itself down enough. I would guess 10 is strong enough that it would slow the truck down too? Am I over rating the trailer brake capacity?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:35 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
If your controller is working with other trailers, you do not have controller issue, you have a trailer issue. First make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted. If that doesn't do it, work back through the connections to your trailer to see where you are losing amperage.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If your controller is working with other trailers, you do not have controller issue, you have a trailer issue. First make sure your trailer brakes are adjusted. If that doesn't do it, work back through the connections to your trailer to see where you are losing amperage.
Yes I have adjusted the brakes. I have a slight drag...ever so slight. I didn't want too much drag for the sake of heating things up and causing other issues lol. Heat seems to be a regular culprit to towing. I will have to do a circuit test for sure.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Along with the circuit test I am looking forward to popping the wheels off. It's 94F here today. Typically only 74F-80F this time of year. I'm not a heat guy lol. I don't know how you guys down south can handle it.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:51 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jimmystoys
Along with the circuit test I am looking forward to popping the wheels off. It's 94F here today. Typically only 74F-80F this time of year. I'm not a heat guy lol. I don't know how you guys down south can handle it.
I don't know about everyone else, but I just whine a lot!

With your trailer hitched, but your seven pin unplugged, pull your break-away pin and try to pull your trailer. That will tell you how well your brakes are working at their maximum amperage.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:45 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I don't know about everyone else, but I just whine a lot!

With your trailer hitched, but your seven pin unplugged, pull your break-away pin and try to pull your trailer. That will tell you how well your brakes are working at their maximum amperage.
That's a good one Rv Tech I will definitely try that when I hook up this weekend.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:10 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
....and don't leave it unplugged for an extended time...the high amperage will eventually burn the wires.....

Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BPofMD
....and don't leave it unplugged for an extended time...the high amperage will eventually burn the wires.....
Always a good reminder !

Old 07-31-2023, 02:20 PM
mohlster
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've pulled a 24' box trailer that is 10,000 GVW and a 22' flatbed that is 20,000, both with a 2023 F350 . The box trailer brakes worked well but the flatbed gave me the "trailer disconnected" message every time the brakes were activated. The flatbed has a lot more miles on it, but all lights and signals worked fine. I checked my ground, my 7-pin connector, and everything in between but couldn't find any issue. The flatbed's trailer brakes worked great behind my 2019 F250. Took trailer and truck to a shop and everything tested good. Took the wheels off the trailer and turns out the brake magnets were worn. I guess the new truck is more sensitive than the 2019. Changed magnets and all is good - no more "trailer disconnected" and the trailer brakes work well.