6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"Trailer Disconnected"

Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Trailer Disconnected"

I towed a small utility (ATV) trailer yesterday. I know it's not much weight, but it sure was more enjoyable than towing with my old Dodge. My trailer only uses a 4 wire connector, (no trailer brakes), and found out that, apparently, your trailer must have trailer brakes in order for the vehicle to recognize if a trailer is connected or not. I was kinda disappointed, thinking I could track my milage towing with the small trailer, which I do a lot of. I verified this through the owners manual, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dixoncity
I towed a small utility (ATV) trailer yesterday. I know it's not much weight, but it sure was more enjoyable than towing with my old Dodge. My trailer only uses a 4 wire connector, (no trailer brakes), and found out that, apparently, your trailer must have trailer brakes in order for the vehicle to recognize if a trailer is connected or not. I was kinda disappointed, thinking I could track my milage towing with the small trailer, which I do a lot of. I verified this through the owners manual, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.
Yes, same thing here. It doesn't think a trailer with 4 pin connector
is connected.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
rljett
Junior User
If the only way for the truck to show a trailer is connected is through the brake controller, what if you try this...

Build a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter. Take the output for the trailer brake and connect it to a simple lamp. The truck will see a connection and when you apply the brakes, the output from the brake controller will light up the lamp. The lamp brightness will vary with the output from the brake controller. Maybe there is something else you ca put online instead of the lamp that can complete the circuit.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Thanks, I'll mess around with it and let you know.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i pull a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer with electric brakes(7 pin connector) and i still get the "trailer disconnected" warning. i have programmed both the 5er and utility trailers in the system. when i pulled the utility i did not go to the program to let the computer know that i had connected the trailer. maybe this is why i got the warning. anyone?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Spikebox
New User
I am having the same issue.....hooked up to my 14' cargo trailer with 7-pin connector and display is showing trailer disconnected??

I went through all the menus and added and named the trailer, checked the manual and still showing trailer disconnected....

Anyone have any more suggestions on how to correct this?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Double-Trouble
Senior User
Check your connections inside the trailer plug. I had the same issue with my car trailer. If I pulled the plug out and reinsert it or sometimes just jiggled the connection it would stop telling me it's disconnected. I finally changed the plug, redid the ground on the trailer and the problem has stopped.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I have found on some of my trailers. if i just put a small bungy around trailer plug and hook to truck plug bracket, it fixes that concern. I dont think trailer connecter fits tight enough. or other way around. Now this may not be your problem but it takes care of mine.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
brightideaselectric
Senior User
I have a enclosed cargo trailer that I use daily for work and one day I started getting the "trailer disconnected" warning and it ended up being an issue in the electric brakes themselves. I had never serviced them so I just bought complete new assemblies and put them on and the problem was gone.

Jeremy

Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marine57_4
i pull a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer with electric brakes(7 pin connector) and i still get the "trailer disconnected" warning. i have programmed both the 5er and utility trailers in the system. when i pulled the utility i did not go to the program to let the computer know that i had connected the trailer. maybe this is why i got the warning. anyone?
Originally Posted by Spikebox
I am having the same issue.....hooked up to my 14' cargo trailer with 7-pin connector and display is showing trailer disconnected??

I went through all the menus and added and named the trailer, checked the manual and still showing trailer disconnected....

Anyone have any more suggestions on how to correct this?
I was having the same thing with one of our trailers. It turned out to be a connection where they joined 3 wires together for the trailer brake system, it was the junction that went to the emergency cable actuated brake deal in case the trailer falls off the ball. Cut out the joint and problem solved. I have also had the " trailer disconnected when a trailer brake wire is broken at the brake.

I would suggest that you go over your trailers with a fine toothed comb looking for wiring issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My truck won't recognize my bass boat. I use a 7 pin round plug adapter that accepts the boats 5 pin flat plug.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo
My truck won't recognize my bass boat. I use a 7 pin round plug adapter that accepts the boats 5 pin flat plug.
Same here, drives me nuts as I wish it would work.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you think the truck has to recognize the electric braking system or a current charge being pulled from the alternators?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Double-Trouble
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo
Do you think the truck has to recognize the electric braking system or a current charge being pulled from the alternators?

That is what it sounds like. With the other post commenting on brake issues solving the problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
it too bad the truck doesn't automatically go into tow haul and the mirrors extend when the trailer is hooked up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Trailer Disconnected"