1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Flashing OD light

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Flashing OD light

Last weekend I went to a touristic place that is located about 250 km away from home, when I arrived to the place there are a real up and downhills and the truck first started to have hard shifts (shudder), more between 1st and 2nd. In the downhills I press the overdrive button to help with stopping, and the light began to flash intermittently, I have the interceptor scan gauge, BUT I forgot how to get codes, so I couldn’t get any codes.When I returned home the only problem were the hard shifts and the light flashing but no problem going uphill. That continue till yesterday, when the light went out and the shifts come better than ever before. So what are your opinions about that?. The transmission temperatures where normal and the fluid is ok in color and smell and no too much kms on it. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:43 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the light was flashing, there should be a stored transmission code. I'm not sure if the AF Interceptor can pull trans codes or not (perhaps someone else can chime in on that). I think you'll want to get those codes so you know what is going on with the transmission.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
If the light was flashing, there should be a stored transmission code. I'm not sure if the AF Interceptor can pull trans codes or not (perhaps someone else can chime in on that). I think you'll want to get those codes so you know what is going on with the transmission.
Yes I always have the doubt if the inteceptor pull trans codes. Im going to see if any of the trans shops over here can read the tranny codes of our PSD OBS. IIRC the scanner has to have some special Ford bundles, do you know what are those? to ask specifically for them.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM
fstfox
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the OD light is flashing the transmission is in limp mode. It will throw full line pressure for shifts, so it will shift really hard. In my experience most inexpensive code readers will not pull up transmission codes on our trucks. MIne did the same thing towing one day, the torque converter was slipping.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Going from memory - Press both buttons on the Interceptor at the same time. You'll see a menu. Move down through the menu items by pressing the left button. Look for "GET DTC". It may be on the second page; just keep pressing Left until it scrolls down and jumps to the next page. When GET DTC is highlighted, press the RIGHT button. That actually executes it. The tiny display has no room for anything verbose, so you should see just the P-code(s) or T-code(s) or whatever one of those "Eeek, for oh dear!" contraptions throws.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Originally Posted by fstfox
When the OD light is flashing the transmission is in limp mode. It will throw full line pressure for shifts, so it will shift really hard. In my experience most inexpensive code readers will not pull up transmission codes on our trucks. MIne did the same thing towing one day, the torque converter was slipping.
Thank you man for the input. BTW welcome to this GREAT FORUM

Originally Posted by madpogue
Going from memory - Press both buttons on the Interceptor at the same time. You'll see a menu. Move down through the menu items by pressing the left button. Look for "GET DTC". It may be on the second page; just keep pressing Left until it scrolls down and jumps to the next page. When GET DTC is highlighted, press the RIGHT button. That actually executes it. The tiny display has no room for anything verbose, so you should see just the P-code(s) or T-code(s) or whatever one of those "Eeek, for oh dear!" contraptions throws.
You are the man madpogue, I could get the DTC and this is what the scan pulled:
P0340: CMP Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1728: P1728 Transmission Slip Error

Notes: - I haven noted any issues related to the malfunction of CMP
- About the Slip Error means TQ slipping or could slip any other stuff of the tranny?.
Now the question is what to do? As I mentioned above the tranny is working better than ever.

Anyway where is Mark K?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Anyway where is Mark K?
+1; I know Mark has commented about that slip code before.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Anyway where is Mark K?
Out making a living.

Notes: - I haven noted any issues related to the malfunction of CMP
An error much too small for someone to notice will cause problems with the PCM and set a code.

- About the Slip Error means TQ slipping or could slip any other stuff of the tranny?.
It could be most of the clutches in the torque converter or the transmission.

Now the question is what to do?
The first thing to do is fix the CMP issue and see if that also fixes the slip error code.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Out making a living.

An error much too small for someone to notice will cause problems with the PCM and set a code.

It could be most of the clutches in the torque converter or the transmission.

The first thing to do is fix the CMP issue and see if that also fixes the slip error code.
Thank you Mark, This is the first time, I read that the CMP could be related to the slip error code. Well so as I understand I should change the CMP and see what happens right?. First question, I have to clear the codes before or after change the CMP? and then how much time I have to wait to make a new scan? Next question is there any way to know if the TC or tranny is the culprit of the slip code?

Old 03-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Well so as I understand I should change the CMP and see what happens right?
Yes, but the problem could be in the wiring to the CMP.

First question, I have to clear the codes before or after change the CMP?
It doesn't matter. It actually doesn't matter if you clear the codes or not. If you don't clear the codes they will eventually clear themselves IF the problem is solved.

and then how much time I have to wait to make a new scan?
Until the next time the CEL is on or the OD OFF is flashin.

Next question is there any way to know if the TC or tranny is the culprit of the slip code?
You can look at the front face of the torque converter. If the housing is blued, it's been overheated by a slipping torque converter clutch. That's the only thing I know of to check without removing the transmission and tearing it down.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:49 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Yes, but the problem could be in the wiring to the CMP.

It doesn't matter. It actually doesn't matter if you clear the codes or not. If you don't clear the codes they will eventually clear themselves IF the problem is solved.

Until the next time the CEL is on or the OD OFF is flashin.

You can look at the front face of the torque converter. If the housing is blued, it's been overheated by a slipping torque converter clutch. That's the only thing I know of to check without removing the transmission and tearing it down.
EXCELLENT mi QUERIDO AMIGO. Thanks a lot. I will check the wiring first.