Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E350 Ambulance parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:03 PM
concreteilluzions
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Ambulance parts needed

I have a 1993 Ford E350 ambulance , to make a long story short in search of the alternator wiring harness from alternator to the firewall. Mine is burnt and now gone. Please need help!! Also I believe my alternator is bad, which amperage do I need! Can call cell 814-233-4028

Old 05-21-2017, 11:34 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Post pictures of your stuff. The ambulances are a little different but maybe we can help.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:38 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are useing as an ambulance or a cargo truck? The ambulance stuff is $$$ the cut away chassis stuff normal pr8 e

Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E-350 would be the Van style rather than the larger truck styles. It should be essentially the same as an E350 Van..

BUT

I do remember reading somewhere about the alternators in ambulances being larger, probably due to the extra medical equipment on-board. The wiring could be slightly different too.

You could just take it off, have it tested and see if they can Identify the alternator for you to begin with and then hopefully you can get the harness you need from a wrecking yard.

Look at this topic and scroll down to post #5.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lternator.html

I don't know if he is correct and those images were not clear enough to read so I did a search to find out where they came from. I did well on that. IF you have have a Leece/Neville alternator you can identify it on page 4 of this "Ford Navistar Applications" PDF:

It looks like yours will not be a special ambulance alternator but is a 3G Alternator shown as OE (Original Equipment) you'll just have to copy that part number which is F3UU-1030 and go from there.
http://www.prestolite.com/literature...ons_FL1022.pdf

It is NOT showing a Motorcraft or Lester cross reference part number like some of the other alternators on the page do so I don't know what to tell you about that.
I think it means that if your alternator is Leece/Neville then the Motorcraft 3G will not be a direct interchange. Could be those parts shown in the PDF.make it different.

EDIT: cancel this following idea because you need a 230 Amp Alternator cancel this ---->>However You could install the Motorcraft 3G Alternator (I think it is 160 AMPS) (from a wrecking yard - Ford Taurus used them ) and replace the harness with one from a 93 van or truck (if you can use the truck harness) AND THEN DO THE 3G CONVERSION WIRING which is shown in a number of places on this site AND IT'S SIMPLE.<<<---end of 'cancel'

And cancel this too ---->That is what I would do. You might have to get a stock ford alternator bracket I'm not sure what you have in it now. - probably the stock one. <<<<----

My computer has been overheating and freezing up while I'm trying to do this. I'LL TRY to get one or two more links in

Last edited by Fixnstuff; 05-23-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: EDIT: CANCEL THE 160 AMP 3G IDEA
Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
I did the parts search for you on the Prestolite Leece Neville Site -- two alternators shown, each is 230 Amps. You decide I didn't look that far

I don't know if Motorcraft Has a 230 Amp 3G and I think you will want the 230 Amp. shown here I WOULD.

My computer is freezing up. I must shut it down.

http://www.prestolite.com/Prestolite - Leece Neville

Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
I edited post #4 to CANCEL the 160 Amp 3G alternator idea.

Was your Ambulance made in Canada?? Looks like that site has everything you need: wiring harness diagrams parts etc. but one alternator is no longer available.

The other option is to do some alternator conversion work to get a big enough Motorcraft Alternator in there!

LETS HOPE YOURS IS STILL GOOD!
ALSO you need to find out what caused the harness to burn up.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Here are alternators for your E350. Van or Ambulance. Take your pick.

I don't know what you intend to do with the vehicle but that will determine what Amp alternator you should pick.

1993 FORD E-350 7.3L V8 DIESEL Alternator / Generator | RockAuto

Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
With the 130 Amp alternators shown on the list from Rock Auto Parts you can splice in a harness from a wrecking yard. I think those are 2G alternators aren't they?

It's 3:00 AM and I've had concentration problems from lack of sleep so I might have gotten that 3G alternator post a little mixed up.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 PM
concreteilluzions
New User
Originally Posted by Fixnstuff
I edited post #4 to CANCEL the 160 Amp 3G alternator idea.

Was your Ambulance made in Canada?? Looks like that site has everything you need: wiring harness diagrams parts etc. but one alternator is no longer available.

The other option is to do some alternator conversion work to get a big enough Motorcraft Alternator in there!

LETS HOPE YOURS IS STILL GOOD!
ALSO you need to find out what caused the harness to burn up.

Wiring burnt up when wife tried to jump start it, positive cable touched I'm guessing a relay box and started melting

Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM
concreteilluzions
New User

Originally Posted by Fixnstuff
E-350 would be the Van style rather than the larger truck styles. It should be essentially the same as an E350 Van..

BUT

I do remember reading somewhere about the alternators in ambulances being larger, probably due to the extra medical equipment on-board. The wiring could be slightly different too.

You could just take it off, have it tested and see if they can Identify the alternator for you to begin with and then hopefully you can get the harness you need from a wrecking yard.

Look at this topic and scroll down to post #5.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lternator.html

I don't know if he is correct and those images were not clear enough to read so I did a search to find out where they came from. I did well on that. IF you have have a Leece/Neville alternator you can identify it on page 4 of this "Ford Navistar Applications" PDF:

It looks like yours will not be a special ambulance alternator but is a 3G Alternator shown as OE (Original Equipment) you'll just have to copy that part number which is F3UU-1030 and go from there.
http://www.prestolite.com/literature...ons_FL1022.pdf

It is NOT showing a Motorcraft or Lester cross reference part number like some of the other alternators on the page do so I don't know what to tell you about that.
I think it means that if your alternator is Leece/Neville then the Motorcraft 3G will not be a direct interchange. Could be those parts shown in the PDF.make it different.

EDIT: cancel this following idea because you need a 230 Amp Alternator cancel this ---->>However You could install the Motorcraft 3G Alternator (I think it is 160 AMPS) (from a wrecking yard - Ford Taurus used them ) and replace the harness with one from a 93 van or truck (if you can use the truck harness) AND THEN DO THE 3G CONVERSION WIRING which is shown in a number of places on this site AND IT'S SIMPLE.<<<---end of 'cancel'

And cancel this too ---->That is what I would do. You might have to get a stock ford alternator bracket I'm not sure what you have in it now. - probably the stock one. <<<<----

My computer has been overheating and freezing up while I'm trying to do this. I'LL TRY to get one or two more links in
​​​​​

I understand what your saying,i can't find a wiring harness, that's the main problem. I was hoping someone here had 1 I could buy

Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The short harness off the alternator? I may have one for a Leece-Neville. I scrapped the alternator but probably kept the harness. I'll check tomorrow. Be aware crossing polarity on jumper cables could also fry diodes in the alternator. Personally I'd swap to a 3g alternator, good a time as any and it's less wiring.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 PM
concreteilluzions
New User

Originally Posted by cadunkle
The short harness off the alternator? I may have one for a Leece-Neville. I scrapped the alternator but probably kept the harness. I'll check tomorrow. Be aware crossing polarity on jumper cables could also fry diodes in the alternator. Personally I'd swap to a 3g alternator, good a time as any and it's less wiring.

It goes from the the alternator to the fire wall and plugs in there. I need the whole thing

Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Upgrade your setup to the 3G alternator. here's the thread on installing the 3G and it's appurtenances: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...3-92-idis.html

When we upgraded our alternators to 3G, we needed to replace the wiring harness. Since you are doing that now anyway, then you might as well put in a better alternator. The 3G is 1000x better than these 1G POS's. Even if you have the 230A ambulance alternator, they are rare and hard to maintain. The 3G alternators are very common. I found mine in a 1996 Taurus in a junkyard, and i was able to collect all the wiring from that alternator from that vehicle.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:14 AM
163junk
Senior User
You have any pics of your alternator? Most likely you have a leece Neville 165 amp . They were both internal and externally regulated . None of the wires went through the firewall unless they put the external reg on the inside of the cab. Google 7711ja or ln7711 for a pic to match.