rust, dents ,an' bondo - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

rust, dents ,an' bondo

Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
someone post some motivational pictures of their before and afters for the guy, hope someone has some!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Marty Smilt
Senior User
Marty Smilt is starting off with a positive reputation.
pick one part and fix it perfectly.

Having gotten in way over my head more than once on projects. My advice is, Evaluate your project from the long end of the glass. (where do you want to go with the project).
Decide what parts will be replaced (IFS, ford 9" rear, four link suspension, bigger engine etc.). pick a small part that will be on the finished rig and rebuild it to the best of your ability. Re install it as a new part and pick annother etc.
DO something every day. No excuses, If you are broke, polish crome or stainless, clean parts. For more daunting parts take something apart and get help from somebody that has experience. I once got hung up with a timing issue in a BMW motorcycle (I lost the timing marks) I went to the dealership found a mechanic and offered to pay him for his time in my shop to show me how to fix my screw up. I made a friend, learned something, and got what I wanted. Don't forget that most mechanics are on the clock and need to produce to earn a good living. PAY them for their time even if it is advice on how to do something or wether or not to attempt a project. His advice may save you LOTS of time , money and frustration. Again, Do something even if it is cleaning the shop as preperation for the next mini project. Rebuilding a truck is like eating an elephant. (one bite at a time)
It is 21 degrees out and I am getting on my insulated coveralls on to work on the beast tonight because my rule is do something.

but danm it's cold out :<)

Marty

Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
ssj7kids is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ssj7kids is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
someone asked for b4 and after... I have some b4 and during... no afters yet....
This is my b4:

This is progress:

This is primed....

And this is current:

More pix in my galleries...
I had never done any body work before I started on this project....

YOU CAN DO IT!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
cwest73
Junior User
cwest73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
woah those pics deffinatley gave me some conffidence thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
hellfirejim is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am lucky as my cab is really solid. However the front fender package needs work. I have found thorugh this place a set of fenders that are good where mine are bad and that will be the next area of adventure. But first is fixing the wiring. It is something I can do and when I am done it will make driving it that much more enjoyable. After all driveing it is what I am all about.....

The best rule is to try and do something everyday if possible even if it something really small because little things become big things and you can get it done. Has anyone told you this will teach you patience and humility???? ;-)

Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
POS-F500 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.POS-F500 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
oh man... for a minute I thought the pics above were of the OP's truck in question.. I was blown away...

Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
auerdoan
Junior User
auerdoan is starting off with a positive reputation.
LMCTrucks has some body parts, if you looking for metal replacement.
I plan on cutting some of my cab corner and give it a go at welding some new ones.

here is a direct link to, i think is you year

LMC Truck Parts - Page 21

otherwise goto lmctruck.com

the cleanest patch of concrete that i know of is spot under my truck

thats from me lying under there cleaning it w/the cloths im wearing

when im fixing something my eyes wonder sometimes from the project at hand
i quickly than try to refocus on the project at hand.

sometimes after a long day of working on the truck and thinking of new cus words you just need a beer!
(i always wait till im finished working on er before i drink)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:02 PM
sawmillman
Freshman User
sawmillman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hang in there

My first experience doing bondo was a 48 Ford truck. I used two whole gallons of bondo and a full roll of screen wire. A lot of the holes were large enough to put my fist threw. But all the glass was good and I had dropped a Ford 390 under the hood so I kept going. I will try to find some of the pictures and post. I finished the job by painting it myself in black. My budget was on the small side since I had two kids in school. It took about a year but it was worth it. Hang in there and just keep chipping away at it, one section at a time. Use a primer that can with stand the moisture while you are doing other sections. Good luck