1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

rust, dents ,an' bondo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only been on my truck about 3 years this November and I don't know how many times I have walked into the shop and took one look and just sat down and stared at it. Wondering what I was thinking by doing a frame off resto. Then I would get up and just walk out. But I always come back and some days I make myself focus on just 1 thing and get it finished. Before you know it the truck starts taking shape and all of a sudden you realize that the drive train is done and your moving on to body work and so forth. But I feel ya, I remember looking at the motor and worrying about the trans, then start thinking about how to shorten the drive shaft or maybe replacing all the brake components! Just remember take your time and focus on one thing at a time. If you get flustered take a break from it.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ken , mine has been sitting for over a year now , and if i could as i said get the stars to align , it wouldn't take a whole lot to get her moving under her own power again . it gets depressing just looking at it , and right now i'm really upset as the mother road show and the jacksonville cruise is here , i took the time off , and both of my oldies are down for the count . don't get ticked off and do something silly , it will come around , and one day it will be done . like they're saying one thing at a time . my new goal is too have the 52 rewired and done by the end of next month , the duals on it , and get the new rear springs for her , drive it . then next spring i am hoping too have them both puttering around ............. if it doesn't happen it just doesn't . twise and a couple of others have kept me from selling mine , and trust me i was having those thoughts again the other day ......... but mine are still here and will continue to be . i got some body work to do too mine , maybe not as severe as yours , but when ya aren't any good at it well ..................

Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 AM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenjh
Hi guy's ..I have been cleaning out layers of bondo and finding rust under the bondo ..fiberglass is holding the body to the remains of the corners together...front and back..this old girl does not have one straight panel anywhere even the roof has layers of filler..the fenders all have angle iron welded in to stop the cracks and are back filled with ...more body filler .some of it is like thick mud ..but it won't come off..the box has a layer of concreat 1 inch thick !!!!pete put it in so he had traction on the hills when he was empty...I can deal with rebuilding broken parts and stuff .....just gotten overwhelmed with the really poor shape she is in .......we have gone for our first drive around the block...lots of smiles ..
Well, everyone has some good information, and is being very supportive.
So, I'll be the stick in the mud...
If the body is in as bad as shape as you're describing... It doesn't sound worth keeping... in my opinion.
I'm having trouble picturing angle iron welded into fenders, and a concrete floor, etc.
Maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing, but I'll ask regardless... how come you're not sourcing parts or even a cab?
I have a nearly complete 55 body that I primarily bought for the frame and bed. The cab/fenders, etc I planned on parting out. Even at $500-1000, depending on how much you need.. you'd stil be ahead of the game without having to replace severe rust, or undo-insane mods like concrete slabs, etc.

If you're set on fixing what ya got, then more power to ya... I respect that.
But time is money... and if it comes down to a matter of getting disgusted with the project and selling it off, vs. completing your ambitions... well.. everything CAN be saved.. but not everything SHOULD be..

P.S., on these trucks, or anything of this vintage.. it's unlikely to find something perfect. I recently found the roof of my 56 is basically bonded on with fiberglass. I haven't been able to remove much of the fiberglass as it's on there pretty good. But from my guesstimate.. it looks like the roof skin is basically held on SOLELY by this epoxy.
Funny thing is.... there's ZERO rust on the rest of the truck. The bottom still has the original paint, and is in better shape than either of my other project cars. But something sat in those rain gutters for long enough to rust through.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
my good solid truck is a ford cube van ..it works every day paid for its self in 2 months and lets me buy rusty old junk to work out my frustrations...I don't think I am smart enough to get overwhelmed...frustrated ..maybe question my sanity ? sure ...an' my collection of FORD's will always keep me tinkering..and finding others with my affliction...

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
kenjh, how about showing us some pictures to see what you actually have. Then maybe we could give you a better idea to help you out. No one on here is afraid to see a little rust out.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DON'T GIVE UP

Just a quick word of support. As you can tell from other posts, most of us have been in or are in the same boat. These trucks are old and abused, it's our job to save them from the crusher. The worst thing that could happen is to give up and let more vintage tin dissappear. As was already posted, concentrate on one thing at a time and finish as far as you can, then start another area. Believe me, I've spend many nights in the garage just staring at it and went back in the house. Getting extra parts is a good way to go, rather than trying to restore something that's not worth it. Many times that is a cheaper way to go. Show us some pics and we can help more. Keep the faith, I've been working on mine off and on for many years, but nothing can compare to the first ride when it's done. Keep that in mind, don't give up

Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
thank's for the support...I took her for a run ...about 150 feet under her own power today,complaining as she went..rumbling and hicups..to the end of the street and back..it is a beast but it steers well and stops ...eventualy...gotta do more on the breaks...or is that how non power is?...not seeing anything that I need for parts is bothering me .I think because it has been so long since I have taken on a big project like this..and no she will not go to the crusher, I still have my 55' ford meteor 2 door from High school ....my oldest son has her now 40 years i have had that car..

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
I just stumbled across a trailer nearby on Craigslist, and it reminded me of your project. I guess because you don't have to be looking for a truck to find truck parts. This one appeared to be an early '50s Ford shortbed that had been turned into a trailer. Looked ok in the pic. Anyway, keep the options open. Still waiting for all the pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics!

Dave

Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
can't

If you say can't you never get it done. All you have left is finishing up. 1 thing at a time.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
los angeles cars & trucks - all classifieds - craigslist Always a few dirt cheap halfway done project trucks in the so calif area. when i was shopping for a 55 F100/250 i must have looked at 2 dozen trucks all butchered in some way or another. most were in the $500 and less range. most will have solid floors, mounts, good bedwalls and bedstrips. worth finding a no/low rust truck to start from. I payed 500 for my 55 F250 yrs ago, garage stored for 20 yrs. 65k on it. needed the engine done and the seat rebuilt. Is about as pure unmolested an example i've seen. Good buys still can be found out here. Blessed are we who live in the SW

Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Amen to that.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakotas53
I've only been on my truck about 3 years this November and I don't know how many times I have walked into the shop and took one look and just sat down and stared at it. Wondering what I was thinking by doing a frame off resto. Then I would get up and just walk out. But I always come back and some days I make myself focus on just 1 thing and get it finished. Before you know it the truck starts taking shape and all of a sudden you realize that the drive train is done and your moving on to body work and so forth. But I feel ya, I remember looking at the motor and worrying about the trans, then start thinking about how to shorten the drive shaft or maybe replacing all the brake components! Just remember take your time and focus on one thing at a time. If you get flustered take a break from it.
Yeah, that's what you gotta do. I have gone through that same.

Keep up the faith, we're here if you need us. I think it happens to all of us at one time or another during our projects. Set small goals, achieve them and pretty soon you see progress and it starts to snowball and then you think back and say " oh yeah I did that" and then it gets easier and easier.
Good luck to you on your build and do you have pics?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Also check
site mash : : combined classified and auction listings

It searches craigslist epay and kajiji for you and puts the results in one place. Great tool.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Since you have the truck running, try to get it good enough to drive a little and enjoy it as it is. Then, if you want to tear into some body work, do something that will give you some experience without tearing it completely apart such as repairing a fender or a rusty area on a decent part. That will give you experience and won't have the truck completely torn down so you can't drive it once in a while. From my experience, if you tear it comletely apart it will seem overwhelming.

Doing "one piece at a time" as in the old Johnny Cash song will help you keep interested and even in the song, he eventually got his car.

Also, doing smaller things will give you a sense of how much you want to tackle and if the truck is worth it or if you want to move on to something in better shape.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
rzns60
Senior User
I think 52 Merc hit the nail on the head. You have to evaluate you ability to take on the challenge or decide to move on to a easier project. I personally chose to pay a little more for a better condition truck that was in my talent level to fix. I pay for the things over my head, but took a welding class at the local community college so I could tackle the basic stuff. Plus this community is a huge help. I have learned a ton from the people on here.

Quick Reply: rust, dents ,an' bondo