1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

LOCKED UP TRANS GOING DOWN HWY!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
442john
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LOCKED UP TRANS GOING DOWN HWY!!

I have a 1997 F350 dually cc diesel 4X4. Had the 5-spd rebuilt in January this year, put in a Valiar clutch,pressure-plate, and through out bearing. Going up I-26 toward Johnson city TN and hear something that sounded lick metal hitting a fan for only 3-5seconds? Then truck started slowing down(was running about 70MPH) got to side and down to about 45MPH and the rear wheel LOCKED UP and engine shut down!! I swear I saw metal fly out the rear right before she locked up. Skidded at least 50' to a stop as I started to fish tail a little, I was pulling a dual axle trailer that I load my tractor on, and thanked the Lord for us getting over safely!! The trans would not go into any gear but like 4th or 3rd, but very hard to put into those, when I let of clutch, it killed motor so I figure it is not clutch or pressure plate right? What the heck happened? I had it owed back to ATKINS TRANSMISSION who rebuilt it and I think it's the trans? How do I know it is their fault or not? What should I do? Any suggestions would be GREAT.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 AM
442john
Senior User
Thought I would tell you all a little more. I could push in on the clutch and start the engine, but when i let out the clutch it would not move and it would kill the engine. I could only put the transfer case into 4WD high and the at first it would move a little. I could not get it into 4WD low? The transmission was very hard to move and the couple of gears I thought I was putting it into went in extremely hard, I couldn't get it into many gears? Has anyone ever heard of a 5-speed locking up while moving? I am 99.9% sure it is the transmission and the rear end is NOT locked up. Any ideas on how I should handle the trans repair shop? They have an A+ rating with the BBB, and they seemed very nice when I had them rebuild it, so I guess I will assume they will fix her for now. What would you'll do?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what you're saying, it's almost definitely the tranny. You could disconnect the driveshaft at the rear diff and then try it again. That would leave no room for doubt. Also, towing would be much easier. Even with an excellent rating, they can still make mistakes. I'd take it back right away. Then you'll see exactly how good they really are.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Either the transmision or the rear end binded up freezing the truck in high gear. I would go with what Fullcrew mentioned and pull the drive shaft and see if the rear wheels are bound and if they are not then wiring the drive shaft up and out of the way or better yet pull the whole thing and you can tow it yourself back to the place that serviced it or pay the wrecker 65 to 100 for the tow.

Keep us posted

Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM
442john
Senior User
Yes, that is what I thought. It was towed back late last night and was put beside their building. It really scared the heck out of me when it locked up! I think my butt sucked up part of the seat! I am very thankful to the good Lord we didn't cause and accident! I have never heard of a transmission locking up though? Thanks for response and God bless!!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Talking

Originally Posted by 442john
Yes, that is what I thought. It was towed back late last night and was put beside their building. It really scared the heck out of me when it locked up! I think my butt sucked up part of the seat! I am very thankful to the good Lord we didn't cause and accident! I have never heard of a transmission locking up though? Thanks for response and God bless!!

lol
When your butt pinches a hole in your shorts thats when it was really really scary.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

The good part is.............You were able to release the seat.

Rog

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A transfer case problem could have you locked up as well.

I throw that out there because you said you could not shift it either.

Was the transmission rebuilt recently?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If it ever happens again, push the clutch in. That would have kept you from locking up the rear tires.

My vote is exploded internals on the tranny. How many miles on the tranny? 9 months would still be under warranty I would hope.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
My vote is for transfer case since you could not shift it. Any possibility the front axle became engaged? Maybe hubs locked? I don't have 4wd in my powerstroke, but I used to have a mid 70's Ford and the front and rear had a slightly different gear ratio which would bind tc on hard surfaces. Again just guessing.

Good luck,
Paul

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM
442john
Senior User
When I pushed in on the clutch the rear wheels were still locked up? I was able to start the truck with clutch pushed in but the minute I released the clutch slowly it killed the motor? I sure hope it isn't the transfer case because he didn't rebuild it, but he did cay it was in good shape? He rebuilt transmission in January of this year.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I'd have to think about that. It doesn't make sense the rear wheels were still locked up but you can start the truck. When you start the truck with the clutch in, was it in neutral? Can you start it with the clutch in while it's in gear?

Pushing in the pedal is supposed to disconnect motor from drive line. Are you sure you didn't stomp on the clutch and brake at the same time as a reaction and that's what kept the rear wheels locked up?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
442john
Senior User
I was so concerned about getting the truck off the Highway I am not sure I was pushing anything to be honest. When I was stopped and after pulling the seat out of my backside, I started the truck with clutch pushed in, shifted the truck out of gear, let off clutch slowly and the truck died. Started her back up pushed into a gear (I believe it was 3rd because I couldn't get her into any other gear?) Let off clutch she tried to go it seamed but died. The trans will not shift unless you really force it into a gear, the, of course she will not move. I put her into reverse and it moved a little backward the the trans locked up again. When the roll back driver released the truck he heard something in the trans, he thinks, and she rolled quickly down? He then shifted truck while off into all gears but it appeared to shift very hard with clutch in but truck off. He then tried to move truck under own power and she died. He doesn't think the rear end is locked because it rolled so easily after he heard something around the transmission or in the trans drop. What should I do if the transmission guy says it's not his problem? Could it possibly not be his problem? i spent over $1800 to rebuild the transmission and put a Valiar clutch PP and TOB, plus used ROYAL PURPLE in the transmission. I plan on keeping this truck a VERY LONG TIME. Gotta go Nigh night, will know more hopefully Wednesday. I am not a man that can just throw $$ at a trans just to have to throw more $$ at it 7 months latter. But on the better side of things, I am VERY THANKFUL THAT I LIVE IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY WITH ALL OUR FREEDOMS AND BLESSINGS OF THE LORD!! I know there are many others that have larger problems than I, but man, it sure hurts a fellows back pocket when it out of $$! Thanks and God bless to y'all, I gotta get some sleep. i shall see y'all tomorrow!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Well we can't really make any comments on what to do next until the shop diagnosis the problem. The only thing I would suggest for now is to keep the phone number of a tow company handy. If the tranny guy says you need another rebuild and it's not his fault, call the tow company and get your truck out of there. If it's the T-case or he says, it's covered under warranty, that's a different story.

Things happen fast. The reason I asked is if my rear wheels locked up I would instinctively stomp on both the brakes and the clutch. If that's what you did, it makes a lot more sense.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
442john
Senior User
The wheels were locked up even after we came to a complete stop? I could push on the clutch and even though the truck was facing up hill it would not budge? When I climbed under the truck it appeared to have trans fluid on the underside, I forgot to mention that, sorry. I am not 100% sure it was trans fluid, but it looked wet to me? Thanks so very much for you'll advice cause I am at a loss. Time to go and try to sleep and shut off my little mind for now.
God bless!

Quick Reply: LOCKED UP TRANS GOING DOWN HWY!!