Sponsored by: Moser

1979 F-250 has anyone done a auto overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
littlejohn6977
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 F-250 has anyone done a auto overdrive

i am looking to see if anyone has done a 4speed overdrive into the older fords. i am looking to put a automatic in my 79 crew cab 4x4. have had number of back surgerys and time to do away with clutch. so would prefer to put a overdrive in it so that its little better on highway. 3000rpm at 70mph. any thoughts or experience would be apprieciated. thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
25aniv
Junior User
I can only comment on the trans itself as your truck being a 4x4 has different needs than my 2wd F100 with 5.0/AOD.
For a 4spd Auto swap, go with the AOD and not the AOD-E just to simplify things. All you really need is a Lokar cable if you are staying with a carb for trans hookups and wire in the neutral safety switch. My speedo cable went back in with an AOD spec gear (for correct tire size) and all is good. You will need to determine flex plate requirements for your particular engine, I went complete late model roller small block so it was as easy as it will ever get.

I got away with using the C6 mount, lined up perfectly and maintained 3 degrees driveline angle and two new holes in the frame for the trans crossmember. The driveshaft may need to be shortened for your application (maybe both, again 2wd vs 4wd issues)

As for the swap itself, it's straight forward wrenching.

If you do put an AOD in your truck, make sure you've got the line pressure set correctly or you'll burn it up quick! A local transmission shop could do this easily for you as well. Oh, and try and get the latest model AOD you can (I much prefer late '88 + '89 models because they have pressure lube to the rear shaft and not splash lube like earlier models.)

AOD's are heavy once the converter is in so watch your back! Hope this helps you a little anyway...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
The Confederate
Tuned
The original being a 3spd, and AOD being 4spd, is there a steering column kit that will show P R N (D) D 2 1? And allow for full shifting range? I've looked but can't find one. I'd love to do the swap, but for the sake of loosing the low gear I haven't. If someone else were driving the truck, I'd like them to know what gear they're actually in (D=OD, 2=D, ect).

Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The AOD is a 4 speed but there is no manual 2nd range on the shifter. An AOD uses a stardard 3 speed shifter. In a stock Mustang with AOD the shifter reads P R N OD D 1. Same number of positions as a C4 or C6.

On my Mustang with modified AOD I'm running a hurst 3 speed pistol grip shifter. Its a manual valve body and I have manual second (unlike a stock AOD) but then my OD has been converted to a solenoid and is on a toggle switch.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
25aniv
Junior User
Blown 331 is right on with the AOD drive gear display. I don't know of anyone that makes a different shift pattern display for an AOD swap into these trucks but you could always make one with clear plastic/lexan and some vinyl numbers if it's something you really need .
If you leave your stock shifter in "D" the AOD will operate seamlessly and still offer full shift abilities if you want a lower gear selection. Also no need to shift into overdrive and you won't have to worry about someone borrowing the truck and driving it around in first gear or something silly! Besides, 99% of the AOD population leaves it in O.D. for regular driving.
One other thing I forgot to add with my first post, take the time and put a good quality transmission cooler on your truck as well. They help AOD's a bunch.

There technically is one way to briefly hold second gear in an AOD but please, please, DO NOT do it!! Upshift from first to drive (under throttle of course) and immediately pull the shifter back down into first. No it won't stay in first gear, you will have second gear up to your next shift point. YES you will burn up the AOD in no time flat!!! There are several very funky things that happen within the valve body when people attempt this and NONE of them are good!
I only say this because I've overheard this in the past and it's usually from people who know absolutely nothing about these transmissions. You may hear it or have already, just please don't try this!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 25aniv
There technically is one way to briefly hold second gear in an AOD but please, please, DO NOT do it!! Upshift from first to drive (under throttle of course) and immediately pull the shifter back down into first. No it won't stay in first gear, you will have second gear up to your next shift point. YES you will burn up the AOD in no time flat!!! There are several very funky things that happen within the valve body when people attempt this and NONE of them are good!
I only say this because I've overheard this in the past and it's usually from people who know absolutely nothing about these transmissions. You may hear it or have already, just please don't try this!
I've done this with stock AODs already and so have a lot of my friends. And you are right it burns them up quick. But wow is it awesome. Haha. Its one of the hardest auto trans shifts I've ever seen. A lot of times even a stock Mustang will break the tires loose hitting 2nd when you do it. I agree with advising not to try it because once you do it, it's hard to stop! Sucks the trans can't take it.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM
The Confederate
Tuned
Awesome...just need to save a few almighty dollars and off to some junk yards!!! And clear plastic and a label maker, sounds so incredibly simple...I should've thought of that...

Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
25aniv
Junior User
Yep, they do hit very hard that way! Try telling somebody who experiences it and they won't believe it's a stock transmission. Your way is the best though if you need all the gears manually, start with the right valve body!

For the most part though, a stage two shift kit will give nice firm shifts and not be too harsh for daily use. Since littlejohn may be doing the swap into a heavy truck, it won't bark the tires and shift hard under moderate throttle and put undue stress on his already messed up back. At wide open though it should give a nice chirp when it hits!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
25aniv
Junior User
Originally Posted by The Confederate
Awesome...just need to save a few almighty dollars and off to some junk yards!!! And clear plastic and a label maker, sounds so incredibly simple...I should've thought of that...
You'll definitely like having the overdrive with your automatic.

I have to come up with simple ideas, I have very little budget and I don't want to confuse myself!