6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I keep my 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Heckler
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the links, that helps. So since my truck already has 35k miles on it with stock coolant and no coolant filter, and thinking about the cost of the VC-9, coolant, water etc, it's not cheap to do, so should I consider replacing (or deleting) the EGR cooler since it may be a little too late due to the miles I already have on it? Is there anything else I should do at the same time to make it more reliable?

What are the pro's and cons of the EGR cooler delete as apposed to running a bulletproof EGR cooler? will I need to do the oil cooler as well? And finally, since in in CA will any of these mods affect the fact that I have to smog my diesel now? Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Originally Posted by Striderwv
Do the flush yourself, my dealer botched it. Here's the course. Hope this link works.

Coolant Change 101 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Heckler
What are the pro's and cons of the EGR cooler delete as apposed to running a bulletproof EGR cooler? will I need to do the oil cooler as well? And finally, since in in CA will any of these mods affect the fact that I have to smog my diesel now? Thanks for all the advice everyone!
An EGR delete will be illegal in all 50 states. In CA, we are only in the first 6 months of testing diesels, so we don't yet know whether the test techs will be smart enough, or trained enough, to know how to spot EGR deletes. Also, they do plug into your OBD port to look for codes, and theoretically in the future could find custom tuning to eliminate EGR codes.

I am not one who believes you have to delete your EGR to have a reliable truck. I am also in CA, and I definitely won't be deleting mine.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,163 Likes on 1,056 Posts
I am in your shoes, Heckler. I drive mine about the same as you drive yours. Mine is now in the shop for head gaskets, but I was covered by a $2k extended warranty. I believe if you continue driving that truck the way you have been, it's not IF it'll blow the head gaskets, it'll be WHEN it'll do it.

My recommendation is to replace your EGR valve and oil cooler with an aftermarket system and also get a coolent filter when you get that done. Afterwards, DRIVE this truck as hard and often as you can.

You can read MY story here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...y-to-atns.html

Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Heckler
Tuned
Damn, after reading that Im back to square 1... At least as it sits now I can get a good trade in for it, or I spend $8k on this one to make it reliable...

Originally Posted by BPofMD
I am in your shoes, Heckler. I drive mine about the same as you drive yours. Mine is now in the shop for head gaskets, but I was covered by a $2k extended warranty. I believe if you continue driving that truck the way you have been, it's not IF it'll blow the head gaskets, it'll be WHEN it'll do it.

My recommendation is to replace your EGR valve and oil cooler with an aftermarket system and also get a coolent filter when you get that done. Afterwards, DRIVE this truck as hard and often as you can.

You can read MY story here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...y-to-atns.html

Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Heckler, IMHO I would not worry about replacing an oil cooler or egr cooler unless my ECT and EOT were greater than 15 degrees apart. Get some readings while it is good and hot and running down the highway.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heckler
Damn, after reading that Im back to square 1... At least as it sits now I can get a good trade in for it, or I spend $8k on this one to make it reliable...
That is what I am doing now. Spending about 3 grand and doing all of the work in my shop instead of a new truck. Tranny was done last year and truck only 58,000 on it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hungryeye
New User
Are we talking engine coolant and engine oil temps when we say ECT and EOT??

If so how are we measuring the temps?

I'm a little green on the abbreviations used here.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
jetact
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hungryeye
Are we talking engine coolant and engine oil temps when we say ECT and EOT??

If so how are we measuring the temps?

I'm a little green on the abbreviations used here.
Yes those are Engine oil temp and Engine Coolant temps.
You would measure them with gauges, either mechaical or digital like a scangauge or edge insight or dash daq.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Heckler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Striderwv
Heckler, IMHO I would not worry about replacing an oil cooler or egr cooler unless my ECT and EOT were greater than 15 degrees apart. Get some readings while it is good and hot and running down the highway.
Yea, I think it's time to buy some gauges...