Sponsored by: DP Tuner

code 741 torque con clutch circut stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
code 741 torque con clutch circut stuck on

Driving around in town and came to a stop light and my truck just dogged down like it was going to die. Threw it up in netral and it smoothed out and sounded fine. 'Light' changed and dropped it into Drive and my automatic all at once sounded like my F-150 '91 'manuel' when you try to take off in 3rd gear. Looked down at the fuel guage and was a little lower that 1/4... pulled in to a 'gas' station and filled it up. No change, when stopping and it is in gear... it will lug down and the 'lifters' will start to rattle. Pulled in to O'reillys to get new oil and oil filter and fuel filter..... Drove it home, the O D on the on the shifter switched off and started blinking and I could not get it 'back on'. ... At home I check the fuel filter, seemed to be really clean, installed the new one. checked the High pressure pump. NIce and full. Sitting in the drive way, with the truck running, it will run fine in Park or Nutral, but put it in gear or reverse it will lug down and want to die, the engine would not 'rev up' with your foot on the brake. I pulled the Codes and got "PO741", manuel said "Torque Converter Cutch circut stuck on".... Cleared the codes and took it for a test drive. NO change, truck lug down when coming to a stop....when driving down the road, the RPMs are running around 2,000 at 60MPH, OD light comes on on the shifter and is flashing, it will usually run at 2,000 at 70MPH. Pulled back in the driveway and pulled the codes again and got the same. PO741."Torque Converter clutch circut stuck on"..

Suggestions on what I need to do to get this back to normal.
What can I do to get the 'Torque Converter clutch circut 'off' '.
The transmission is only several months old and I bought it from "BTS".
Should I call Brain and talk with him or is it another issue with fuses, ects. I will be pulling a camper in a couple of days, over 6 hundred miles and I need this thing worked out really fast.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
As I was reading your post, just from what you were describing I was thinking your TC was locking up. Then you pointed it out the further I read. I would CERTAINLY call Brian tomorrow am. He will shoot you straight. It could be something simple, he will know what the options are just by your description.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is you trans full of fluid?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Thank-you for your reply HKusp. I hope that there is something easy to do to get this converter 'unstuck'. I don't want to test the fullness of the BTS warrenty in just a few months after getting the transmission. I will call Brian in the AM.

I want to let you know 'HKsup" that I have used (borowed) your quote in your sig line a month or so back when talking to a couple of frends. Two thumbs up.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Is you trans full of fluid?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Yes. Checke Oil and trans fluid levels. No leaks under or around the pans.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be a short in the trans harness,I think ground locks the torque,but don't know if it would throw that code
Maybe Mark will stop by with his input

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The converter clutch is stuck on. That can be caused by low pressure, low fluid, loose internal filter, internal leaks, bad solenoid, stuck valve, bad converter, a wiring problem, a bad PCM, and probably a few things I've missed.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Thank-you Mark.
I checked the fluid and the levels are fine. I bought the trans from
BTS about three months ago. is it drivable to get it to him to fix. I live about 400 miles away from him. I will call him at 8:00 and talk with him..

Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Talk to Brian and he said it was a trans issue and not the engine. I said that I would drive it over if it would not hurt the tranny. He said that it would not, just might kill the motor every now and then if I was going to slow and did not have it in "n". He said something about a solenoid or an electrical circuit was keeping the torqe converter enguaged.

I do need to get a temp gauge on the trans. I will talk to him on where and how to put one on.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
This BTS Trans would not die....

On Wed I was planning on driving the 265 miles from Mid MO to Lead Hill AK and have Brian work on the Tran torque converter problem. I was planning on camping in the area and do some rafting and asked him about pulling my camper down. Brian said that if I could get er going, the trans should be fine. Going forward is hard enough starting out... backing up to my camper at home I heard a big clunk and the truck stopped about three feet away from the camper and almost stalled out. It was still running but would not move backward. It would move forward and I pulled up several feet and took a fast run backward..... something bad was going on with the transmission and I found out later that a shaft going through the transmission had snapped in half. After getting er going and about 30miles down the road, there was that bad smell of burnt tranny oil. I knew that it was a goner some time down the road and had no choice but to keep going. After 125 miles and I filled up the tranny with 7 qts and heading down the road. I called Brian at BTS and told him what was going on and He said the plan will now shift from the torque converter to a complete overhaul.... if/when I can make it there. I never ran the tach over 2,000 rpms.... the speed would average about 50mph, 60for the high (down hill)and 20 for the low (up hill)... but it kept going, up hills and down in the valleys. we had started out at 6:00 in the morning and pulled into the BTS drive way at 12:30 noon hour.

Now for the warrenty.... Brian completely overhauled the tranny at no cost.... removal, rebuild, replacement, fluids... nothing. I felt really badly about the tranny going south after only owning it such a short time. I had the first one shipped to me and had it installed. Brian said as bad as it was with the shaft broke and the torque converter stuck, it still shows how well it is build and that he was in a way glad that I brought it back to him that he could put everything to BTS standards, because there was several things that upset him that the installer did. Cross member bolts were missing and wrong shround bolt that had several washers on it instead of the right bolt. The fly wheel bolts were also not torqued down and he questioned if they had 'blown out' the 7.3 cooler...

Brian had said that it would take him Wed after noon and he would finish it up on Thursday morning. My wife and I camped at a Corp of Engineers Camp Ground on Bulls Shoals lake about 2 miles from BTS Shop. On Thursday morning I called him about putting in a 6.0 trans cooler while he was working on it.... he told me that he had put a 6.0 cooler on it the night before as he would not want my 7.3 cooler on because of all of the trash and stuff that had went through it and it was not an issue of whether I paid for it or not..... I said that that was why I called... I want it... I will pay for it.... cost? 400.00 + 50.00 for the hose kit.

Talk about Service and I felt really bad about tearing up the transmission. When he picked me up and took me for a test drive back to his shop, he said that they also drained and replace the oil in the transfer case. (I found out later and he did not tell me, but his guys filled up my radiator holding tank and the windshield washer fluid...yes I knew how much was in both before I dropped the truck off).

So what did I have to pay for the removal and rebuild and install + fluids and the attention to the transfer case? 0...

The only cost that I had was for buying the 6.0 cooler... They installed it for Free (they wanted that 7.3 cooler out of there).

I drove a wounded and burning BTS over 260 miles and only God knows how much further it would have went (and He an't talking to me about that).

I give Brian and all of his employess a big Thank-you for what you have done for me and my 7.3.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Great to hear how this worked out. Brian's reputation is much deserved.