Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 F150 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
as long as your bolts aren't completely rusted to the bed it should only take 3-4 beers and an hour to remove a bed.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not very, there were 6 bolts to get out, 3 of them broke so only had to really remove 3 :P
The hardest part was lifting it off myself, that's why the beam is overtop, I used a floor jack on the back and rachet system up front and drove out from under it.

No real updates, started a new job and have had no time for this. Lot of work going down tomorrow though!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cyclegrip
Not very, there were 6 bolts to get out, 3 of them broke so only had to really remove 3 :P
The hardest part was lifting it off myself, that's why the beam is overtop, I used a floor jack on the back and rachet system up front and drove out from under it.

No real updates, started a new job and have had no time for this. Lot of work going down tomorrow though!
I have used a cherry picker in the past, and plan to use it again to get the beds swapped onto Thor. Same principle applys... either have 3 buddies and a couple sturdy saw horses directly behind the truck or have a hoist mechinism to lift it, then drive out, and finally set down. Lifting the bed makes a gas tank work way easier!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Here's an update, been working 12 hours a day so I don't get much time to work on this

Body work on the cab is complete, just needs sanded, taped and sprayed and that will be that for the cab.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
It's all one color again! I'll be working on getting the frame sanded and coated today.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
got the grille on and untaped it today between rain showers

Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
fishforlife2007
Elder User
murda'd out! hell ya man. when you gunna do the sas?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
Well still gathering parts, just bought the shackle flip and 6.5" cage coils
I am buying tubing tomorrow to work on my bed.
I am waiting for my first paycheck to go hogwild on buying rebuild parts for the d44 :P
Before the end of summer I would say, the hardest part is going to be laying down a wad of cash for tires.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 PM
xjay
Freshman User
i always thought the black grille on black looked awesome, like a Nite without the pink stripe

Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Really guys... Really... Ok the truck looks great I'll give you that. I hate to do this but I am a pickey **** hole about this kinda thing... i work in a body shop part time and there is NO WAY we would EVER get away with what i seen in the pics... All the lights, windows, trim, rear view mirrors, etc... have all been taped off instead of removed! We see way to much of the DIY paint jobs and when you short cut and tape off instead of remove you end up with bad results... ie: peeling at tape lines within a couple years, still have blue door jams?, and blue engine bay? These kind of gloss over jobs are the kind of thing that irritate us and our customers... It will look cool running down the road but if you get with 20 feet of it you know it was a quick gloss over job... If you have the time to go this far why would you not go the extra mile?????? Again sorry for the critisism but I just wonder why people are willing to tear their vehicles down this far and then not do the proper finishing touches... Someone enlighten me... I know it can't be cost because it would only take a few more hours to to finish it right... is it the time???? just don't care???? or what???

Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM
harrisford
Senior User
ok, nstueve, i dont wanna turn this into a personal banter thread but idont really see the point of removing windows, bumpers and mirrors for a backyard JD blitz black paint job. i also dont think he will be having any paint peeling in those areas, considering they are chrome or glass. it looks to me like he only taped on the seams. if you have seen paint jobs that peeled on paint lines, i would suggest looking into how it was prepped after removing the tape. hey cyclegrip, nice work! trucks looks great for the budget and great choice on the color....how bout JD green frame? ahhaa nah....

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM
fumminsplease
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cyclegrip

Im doing my 92 reg cab long bed and it took my brother and I 6 beers, half a can a chew, and 2 hours. We both grabbed by the middle and lifted her off. Of course here in Iowa it was rusted to hell so the torch comes in handy

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by harrisford
ok, nstueve, i dont wanna turn this into a personal banter thread but idont really see the point of removing windows, bumpers and mirrors for a backyard JD blitz black paint job. i also dont think he will be having any paint peeling in those areas, considering they are chrome or glass. it looks to me like he only taped on the seams. if you have seen paint jobs that peeled on paint lines, i would suggest looking into how it was prepped after removing the tape. hey cyclegrip, nice work! trucks looks great for the budget and great choice on the color....how bout JD green frame? ahhaa nah....
all i was saying is that even a backyard paint job would look better with 2-3 hrs more prep to remove moldings and body accessories... Those mirrors have 2 bolts/screws holding them on it would have taken less time to remove them not tape them off. And the rubber gromet between the mirrors will shift and rub the new JD black... I didn't say anything about the bumpers... I was sayint the door jams would still be blue and so would the engine bay... doors more noticible by passengers... hey w/e to each his own... cyclegrip that JD black does look great on the truck keep us posted on what you get done in the future!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fumminsplease
Im doing my 92 reg cab long bed and it took my brother and I 6 beers, half a can a chew, and 2 hours. We both grabbed by the middle and lifted her off. Of course here in Iowa it was rusted to hell so the torch comes in handy
Iowa rust sucks and yes the torch is quite handy! I used a really nice snapon air impact that i borrowed from my neighbor to get mine off... did you go flat bed or replace with another OEM bed???? or just take if off for maintence???

Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
fumminsplease
Freshman User
I'm restoring my truck, I found a bed in my local area - it was a take off bed back in 95 and didnt have any miles on it. Cost me 500 but its like brand new

Quick Reply: 95 F150 build thread