Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7 Pin wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
damons
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 Pin wiring question

I bought my truck in August and have not towed anything yet, this weekend I bought a camper and when I plugged it in, all I had was left tail and turn signal, no clearance or right turn.
I spend a few hours, tore the wiring apart and tried testing all the wires where the previous person/company had spliced in and all I can even get a test light to work on was a blue wire that operated brakes. I can't get anything else to light up, is there a trick? All the lights, brakes, turns work fine on the truck. You'd think I'd be able to tap in to these wires and get a positive test.
My plug is the type that has the 7-pin and also the 4 flat built in. (which I don't nec need), I can see from the diagram from the camper what each pin is supposed to run, but does anyone have a suggestion and also know what each color wire off of this plug is supposed to run?
Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please start with checking the trailer, every year I have to go in and clean connections.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also check fuses under the hood..my early 99 has separate fuses for the trailer

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
damons
Elder User
I'm pretty sure the camper is fine. I tested the plug on the truck before I started anything and I only got the test light to come on with brakes and left turn. Do you know what fuses to look at under hood?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
99_Under_Hood_Fuses.pdf (26.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
damons
Elder User
Cool, looks like there are several to check, should I be able to test at the fuse box somehow? (esp if the fuses are ok?)

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
turn key on...hook neg. of test light to the battery...poke both sides of the fuese though the little hole at the top of fuse with the test light.. both sides should light up if fuse is good...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
What year is your truck? When I bought my '01 several years ago from a Dealer, I found that my 7pin did not 'match-up' with what the trailer was doing. The Dealer had taken the '01 7-pin plug-in off of this truck when it was traded in for a '02... (the farmer, that traded it in, lights did not work 'right' with the '02 set up and the dealer yanked the '01 plug in harness and put it on this farmers new '02...) This Dealer then put the '02 harness on the farmers old '01 and I bought it like that... the Dealer ended up ordering the right '01 7-pin to put back on this truck.... Just saying what I when through.
My center of the 7-pin is not an auxiliary, but the back up light.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
damons
Elder User
It's the early 99 and I can already see that the pic above does not match what my camper says, for example, the camper says the brown is RT turn AND Tail lights

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
jt371
______

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The color code may not be correct for your application. Many trailer companies don't follow the color codes. Just have to have the correct lights hooked to the correct terminals on the plug. Also that pic is from backside/inside of the trailer plug.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Defiantely check the fuses under the hood. I just rewired a buddies trailer and used my truck to test function. I was pissed that I didn't have the left turn. I checked wiring, connections everything. Then my buddy reached under the hood and pulled a fuse..burned out. replaced it and all works good again.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
As said make sure you know what the wires do on the camper, I know for a fact that Lance does not follow the industry standard for their campers (at least they didn't).

Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
damons
Elder User
No problem, I found someone that might be able to help me tonight, I will keep you guys posted. This is a Fleetwood Elkhorn, and I do that the orignal manuals and found the page that shows each pins function.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Forget camper for a few

i would forget about the camper for starters, focus on the truck. You should be able to get every function to happen on your test light at the truck plug on the bumper. ie left turn, right turn, etc.

Once you have those happening reliably, then you can worry about why your left turn comes on when you turn the headlights on etc if the trailer is "non-standard"

Edit: And definitely start with the fuses, I found it interesting that the trailer lights are all fused seperate from the truck lights when I first got my truck, had me stumped for a bit.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
fifthwheel01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres some more pictures/diagrams hope the help.
etrailer.com | Trailer Wiring Diagrams

Quick Reply: 7 Pin wiring question