Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP! A.C. suddenly quit today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
JIM ROLAND
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP! A.C. suddenly quit today!

HELP! A.C. compressor would not come on when I left work tonight. The fuse tests good and looks fine. A.C. has been ice cold up until tonight. Fuse also goes to blend door etc. and all of that works fine. No sign of any leaks anywhere. Could the A.C. diode under the hood be the culprit, and if so, how do you check it? Need A.C. for trip Saturday morning. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the plug on the passenger side that is right near the compressor that sticks up a bit. That's the best way I can describe it. Wiggle it around a bit while the AC is on and see if you can get the compressor to engage that way. If you can then the connection there is messed up. Mine was.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 PM
JIM ROLAND
Senior User
Thanks for your help! I'll check that in the morning. I hope thats all there is to it!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
You might also try tapping on the clutch with a wooden handle or something similiar (while the engine is running and the AC turned on). After a while it's somewhat common for the air gap to get large enough so the clutch doesn't engage. If you find this is the case, then you'll have to shim the clutch back into spec. I think there is a write up somewhere on here that shows how to do that...

Hope it's something simple..

Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
You might also try tapping on the clutch with a wooden handle or something similiar (while the engine is running and the AC turned on). After a while it's somewhat common for the air gap to get large enough so the clutch doesn't engage. If you find this is the case, then you'll have to shim the clutch back into spec. I think there is a write up somewhere on here that shows how to do that...

Hope it's something simple..
I just replaced my compressor clutch last friday, and another buddies the week before.
the air gap between the clutch plate and pulley should be .025 to .030. the clutch plate is held on by one single 8mm bolt, remove bolt, slide clutch plate off compressor shaft, turn plate over and remove shim inside, replace with a thinner shim. Dont be suprised when you pull the compressor plate off and find that the plate, and the pulley have become grooved from use. You may find that you want to replace the whole clutch assembly, no problem, its about $100 from your local big box auto store, and comes with a new clutch plate, new pulley,bag of shims snap ring, new clutch plate bolt and a new electromagnet actuator. You will need a three jaw puller, and a pair of snap ring pliers to do this. Release serp belt tension, after you have removed the clutch plate, you will see a snap ring holding the pulley onto the compressor housing, remove the snap ring, use three jaw puller to remove the pulley, and then remove the old electromagnet with the puller. use a little lube on the inside of the new magnet, and get it started ont he housing by hand, use a rubber mallet to seat the magnet on housing. do the same for the pulley, but make sure you have it seated all the way and the snap ring groove is visible all hte way around the housing. install new snap ring, spin pulley to make sure it is aligned and running true. start with the largest shim in the bag, and place clutch plate on pulley. sheck airgap between pulley and plate. is it .025 to.030? if so put the bolt in and tighten, if not try a smaller shim from the bag. reinstall serp belt, start truck and turn A/C on and enjoy cool comfort.

I still have my old compressor clutch in the shop, and will take some pics tomorrow to go with this little write up.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
I just replaced my compressor clutch last friday, and another buddies the week before.
the air gap between the clutch plate and pulley should be .025 to .030. the clutch plate is held on by one single 8mm bolt, remove bolt, slide clutch plate off compressor shaft, turn plate over and remove shim inside, replace with a thinner shim. Dont be suprised when you pull the compressor plate off and find that the plate, and the pulley have become grooved from use. You may find that you want to replace the whole clutch assembly, no problem, its about $100 from your local big box auto store, and comes with a new clutch plate, new pulley,bag of shims snap ring, new clutch plate bolt and a new electromagnet actuator. You will need a three jaw puller, and a pair of snap ring pliers to do this. Release serp belt tension, after you have removed the clutch plate, you will see a snap ring holding the pulley onto the compressor housing, remove the snap ring, use three jaw puller to remove the pulley, and then remove the old electromagnet with the puller. use a little lube on the inside of the new magnet, and get it started ont he housing by hand, use a rubber mallet to seat the magnet on housing. do the same for the pulley, but make sure you have it seated all the way and the snap ring groove is visible all hte way around the housing. install new snap ring, spin pulley to make sure it is aligned and running true. start with the largest shim in the bag, and place clutch plate on pulley. sheck airgap between pulley and plate. is it .025 to.030? if so put the bolt in and tighten, if not try a smaller shim from the bag. reinstall serp belt, start truck and turn A/C on and enjoy cool comfort.

I still have my old compressor clutch in the shop, and will take some pics tomorrow to go with this little write up.

Brandon...i vote you start a whole new thread with those pics...might be easier for somebody to search for the info...my .02...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by N V US Lawn Care
Brandon...i vote you start a whole new thread with those pics...might be easier for somebody to search for the info...my .02...
I will tomorrow Dave, I am off to bed here real soon.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
I will tomorrow Dave, I am off to bed here real soon.

Well alrighty then...have a good dream...

Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
JIM ROLAND
Senior User
I had already changed the diode and crossed out the two wires to the pressure switch before I went to the stealership. None of this turned the compressor on. Stealership service manager looks at it first and takes the plug loose and crosses it out with a paper clip and still no compressor coming on.

Left it with them thinking I couldn't trace the problem.

They call me within about an hour and tell me the same switch is bad, replaced the switch, and all is fine. Switch does look new, but I got charged $159 for reclaim and recycle and a new switch.

Am I missing something here or what ?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
JIM ROLAND
Senior User
P.S. to last post.......I had also already checked the compressor plate by pushing it backwards too.

Did I get ripped? I dunno?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JIM ROLAND
Did I get ripped? I dunno?
Does your A/C work now?

If answer = yes and your AC is important to you then you got a value

If answer = no then you got ripped off.

That plug is connected to a switch or sensor or something that makes the compressor clutch engage so what I'm understanding is that the plug is good but the switch/sensor itself was bad so they replaced it and charged you environmental crap cause it's part of an AC system. There's a reason they call em stealerships.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
Does your A/C work now?

If answer = yes and your AC is important to you then you got a value

If answer = no then you got ripped off.

That plug is connected to a switch or sensor or something that makes the compressor clutch engage so what I'm understanding is that the plug is good but the switch/sensor itself was bad so they replaced it and charged you environmental crap cause it's part of an AC system. There's a reason they call em stealerships.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one Pete...

Old 05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JIM ROLAND
I had already changed the diode and crossed out the two wires to the pressure switch before I went to the stealership. None of this turned the compressor on. Stealership service manager looks at it first and takes the plug loose and crosses it out with a paper clip and still no compressor coming on.

Left it with them thinking I couldn't trace the problem.

They call me within about an hour and tell me the same switch is bad, replaced the switch, and all is fine. Switch does look new, but I got charged $159 for reclaim and recycle and a new switch.

Am I missing something here or what ?
I am missing something!Why reclaim and recharge?There is a valve behind the high pressure switch that closes when the switch is removed.No refrigerant loss

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Should have been no reason to evacuate & recharge to replace a switch.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the switch is located in an A/C line then chances are they had to suck out the freon to replace the switch. If not when they pulled the switch out the freon would have vented to the air. They would then pull a vacum to the system and replace the freon. If your system was full then you shouldn't have got charged for freon just the reclaim and refill plus the switch.

Quick Reply: HELP! A.C. suddenly quit today!