Supercrew aftermarket exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 06:55 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear members;

This is my first day of being a member of your great group and I am looking for your opinions for a supercrew exhaust system. I was looking at Borla, Gibson and Flowmaster catback systems and was wondering what you all think is good for all around use? Ideally I do not want a loud system just a little more grunt to her. I personnaly like what I read and seen about the Gibson dual sport system but Gibson said that I needed to remove the spare tire. Is this true? Please let me know of your comments.

Chris

Old 01-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Lee Haenschen
Junior User

I have Flowmaster on mine...thats all I would put on a ford.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:18 AM
akford351
Posting Guru

I like Flowmasters and would recommend a 40 series deltaflow or 50 series original. (Either one would sound SWEET!) I really don't think that you'll like the Gibson... it is a VERY VERY quiet system. Quite a few guys that install them on their trucks are disappointed becuase it is just a hardly noticable change over stock and they end up changing out the muffler for a louder one.
I also like the way Magnaflows sound on the newer engines.

Ray

Old 01-29-2003, 02:51 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Thumbs up Supercrew aftermarket exhaust systems

Have Gibson Super Truck on my Screw. They are louder than the regular Gibsons and really improve milage and power.

Old 01-29-2003, 03:46 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Thanks guys for your answers. Ideally I want a system that has competive performance with its peers and is not loud!!. According to Gibson there catback exhausts that enter out the side and back or 4-6db's more than stock, except for trhe race truck type which is about twice the noice. Actually I do not know how loud the stock sytem is since I have never heard it go down the road but I know it is quiet.

Skywagon. On your truck did you have to remove the spare tire?

Chris

Old 01-29-2003, 03:57 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Thumbs up Supercrew aftermarket exhaust systems

Chris, Mine come out ahead of the right rear wheel in to 2 large stainless tips, do not have to mess with the spare tire. They are throuty sounding you may not want anything that loud. although when towing or on highway with windows closed they are not that loud.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:58 PM
biglevi71
Senior User

Ignore the mufflers all together. I have the 5.4 and just had pipe welded from the cat back splitting into two chrome tips out the back. It sounds great (not as loud as most mufflers) and didn't cost that much ($300). It voids the factory muffler warantee, but so will any new muffler. It increased mpg and hp, but not enought to feel. It really sounds nice, and is hardly noticeable on the highway. Without the muffler you eliminated backpressure, which frees up air flow. The cats still provide enough backpressure to allow the engine to work correctly. It is completely legal (Colorado) to do this, and the truck will pass emmissions just fine. I really like the set up and would encourage it. Levi

I can send pics via email if you would like, just let me know.

Old 01-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Lee Haenschen
Junior User

Send me a pic to LBLGROUNDSMGT@AOL.COM I have been thinking of doing the same...I have a flowmaster 50 series and though of putting a small Y pipe on and tossing the muffler.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:47 PM
ChrisY
Junior User

Guys, thanks for the support. What is probably best for me is to talk to people around where I live who have exhausts systems and and listen to see if I like them or not. This is really a vague topic that could go on forever. But any help you can all give I do appreciate.