Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

HYDROBOOST QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HYDROBOOST QUESTION

got a quick question to anyone whos got a hydroboost setup. gotta know how long the push rod is between the hydroboost and the master cylinder? please, need asap. ive ordered the hydroboost but i dont think it will come with one, ive got a push rod out of a chevy system. not sure if the measurements will be the same. if its not and the new one doesnt come with one then its gonna cost an extra 180 to get the one from ford.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have one, but I never measured the rod when I installed it.

I went with the Ford unit for a 97 F Superduty.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dave,

[ignore]
Just looking at some images of that SuperDuty Hydro-boost, It looks like the fire wall mount is different, is that true and what did it take make it fit your 86.
[/ignore]

[edit]
Found necessary info here: Ford Hydro-boost Conversion
[/edit]

Thanks

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it not possible to use the standard power steering pump reservoir by inserting a "T" into the return line?
Seems like that might be a cheaper and easier way to go about it. I seem to recall seeing somewhere a hydroboost system set up like that. The difference was the reservoir was a separate container not attached to the pump, but fed the pump directly, and all the fluid was returned to the reservoir via one line.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
got a quick question to anyone whos got a hydroboost setup. gotta know how long the push rod is between the hydroboost and the master cylinder? please, need asap. ive ordered the hydroboost but i dont think it will come with one, ive got a push rod out of a chevy system. not sure if the measurements will be the same. if its not and the new one doesnt come with one then its gonna cost an extra 180 to get the one from ford.
What year Chevy pushrod? Mid-'70s to late '80s pushrod is about 2" too long, you can either cut it and shorten it and weld it back together, or you can just space the booster away from the firewall by the needed amount - someone on OBN did the welding thing, I spaced mine out, if you weld make sure you know what you're doing.

Originally Posted by banjopicker66
Is it not possible to use the standard power steering pump reservoir by inserting a "T" into the return line?
Seems like that might be a cheaper and easier way to go about it. I seem to recall seeing somewhere a hydroboost system set up like that. The difference was the reservoir was a separate container not attached to the pump, but fed the pump directly, and all the fluid was returned to the reservoir via one line.
Nope, both lines always return to the pump reservoir separately. What you saw was an expansion tank so to speak, it's a Chevy thing usually and it's on my list of upgrades some day - I'll have the hydro return into the extra tank and then have the tank feed down into the PS pump through the top port that is now used by the hydro - all this because extra fluid capacity means lower temperatures of the fluid. But on your question - you can T-ee them together, yes, but it's not recommended as if you're turning and braking at the same time (like you do in a parking lot) you may end up with reduced steering or braking (depends on how the flow through the T-ee is organized).

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
rodneywar
Postmaster
U dont need the extra oil to keep it cool just run a tranny cooler in line with the factory cooler thats on the crossmember after 400 miles driving i can stick my finger in the powersteering oil and it would be lukewarm!!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
If there was no need for the extra fluid then Chevy and later Ford wouldn't have installed the extra-capacity tanks You're correct on the add-on cooler tho, that's always a good upgrade.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 AM
rodneywar
Postmaster
It was worth the cuts that i had on my hand from the radiator trying to get the plastic ties through!